Saturday, October 17, 2020

Two Days in One! I Never do That, so Protocol is Kaput Today

The Ridge

Friday, Oct. 16th is a blur of a day. It was busy from the get-go. I was committed to cleaning the Mat this morning and didn’t mind the distraction, I have to admit. In the midst of cleaning, the funeral director called with some questions and then we set up a phone appointment at Donna’s for further discussion. Hanover is only 20 minutes to the west of Durham so that was where I headed at 9.


I think Mom brought me this kind of day

I needed to get some pictures printed off for Monday and that was where I would find the closest kiosk to ‘diy’ (do it yourself). After about an hour with my sister, I steered my ‘horse’ to Walmart and got the photos I needed. They are very slow in that photo booth though; staff has to come and check you out. Finally, I went to Customer Service and walked right up to pay. LOL

Just before heading out to work at the Mat


Already, I was feeling tired. My sisters and I thought that we’d sleep better after Mom was at peace but it seemed not to work for me. I was restless a lot through the night and couldn’t drop off. Hence my exhaustion today. I got through the day, focusing on packing and filling boxes in the Suite. I didn’t want to sit down as I knew where that would lead.

I found this dime at the Mat before getting a call from the funeral director
The best news he told me at 8:30 am was that Mom was picked up
last night at 11 pm and was already resting at Mount Brydges funeral home
That made me very happy
I believe that finding a dime, means Daddy is leaving them for us
Today's meaning: perhaps "Mom is with me"

Finally, Happy Hour (so Pat reminded me), I called my buddies for an overdue chit chat. I had a straight gingerale on the go and it was so nice to hear their voices and have a few good laughs. Us sisters, over the past 2 weeks kept vigilance over our Mom, taking turns sitting with her and each other. It wears on you whether you realize it at the time or not. The talk was mostly serious and the ‘business’ at hand. I needed this reprieve. Thanks buddies! 😊

Still a beautiful drive in this area

When Bill got home, we had supper although I don’t recall what we had. That was over 24 hours ago! I do know that I slept well Friday night. Oh! I just remembered! It was our last Hello Fresh meal and it was very good. Easy Cottage Pie was the recipe and it didn’t take too much to prep and cook it. Yummy, it was a hit! On Saturday, Oct. 17th, I woke feeling fresher for sure. No need to rise too early so we didn’t get up until 7:30.

Easy Cottage Pie in the works


And on the plate
Similar to shepherds pie
Delicious!

Today was moving day. We were excited, nervous and a little bit concerned. I wasn’t sure whether all of our freezer stuff would fit in the fridge freezer. They’ve decided that the big old freezer downstairs is a power eater and it won’t be plugged in. After one trip, starting at 9:30, with both vehicles loaded, we headed back for a second. We were feeling the pressure and realized that it wouldn’t be finished today. We’ll come back tomorrow. On the way home, we stopped for a Cheddar Bacon Uncle Burger at A & W combo. I’ll do that again; it was yummy with a Diet Root Beer!

This is a peek over my shoulder at Ptooties clothing load

Bill was suggested we only take the meat out of the freezer to start and see how much room we’ll have. I filled the fridge (yes, it was fixed up wonderfully) and then Bill brought in the meat. Boy, was I surprised when it all fit with room to spare. So, that means we can bring everything else and there will be no problem getting it in. 😊 Happy camper again. We worked until 6:30 when we stopped for supper.

Following Bill part way to Paisley


Clemson, enjoying the ridge too

It will take some getting used to. The stairs, the fridge not being near the butler’s kitchen, but you know what? We’re going to make it work and be thankful. We are truly blessed for this experience. Wes and Susan stayed out of our way and yet were at the ready when we needed to find light switches etc. When we came upstairs to our room, they invited us to join them anytime for their evening programs. When I heard ‘we watch Jeopardy at 7:30’, I knew I was IN!

At the top of the stairs and those two steps go up into our room

Our bedroom
Walkin closet directly ahead and the bathroom across from it
We love the old hardwood floors

The evening would be short but I wanted to catch up. In between our moving, my 5 sisters and 1 brother kept up the chatter on FB messenger. The plans are coming together for Mom’s funeral on Monday. Covid-19 sure is playing a hand in the event, unpleasantly, but again we’ll do what we have to do. Before I go, I just want to thank EVERYONE for the kind, loving, supportive, reassuring words over the last couple of weeks. I am truly blessed to have such friends. 😊

Cheddar Bacon Uncle Burger
grass fed beef

Sweet potato fries with dipping sauce
But the sauce burned my throat so I put the lid on and ate them plain

That's our day! Good night!

Thank you for checking us out today. Our new adventure has begun.

19 comments:

  1. A lot has been happening all at once for you....but sounds like you can keep breathing, so you'll make it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burger looks delicious. Again, sorry for your loss. Memories are precious. Prayers for you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are running on your "reserve tank" dear Patsy. Hopefully you can get some rest soon. I lost my husband and father fairly close together, two losses, two estates to settle. I remember the feeling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. You certainly had a challenge there!my sister Donna is making a lot of the arrangements, thankfully.

      Delete
  4. Between you and your siblings you will make it work and help one another through this time.
    We'll keep you all in our prayers.
    Be Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have a lot on your plate right now! Your new digs look really nice, we hope you enjoy your winter there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patsy with all that's going on you must be running on stored energy. Don't be afraid to stop and rest if you need to. With all you have on your plate now, don't forget to allow some time for you. It's alot of change at one time. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri. We are running, I'm not sure on what energy! haha We're fine, really and thank you so much for your concern.:)

      Delete
  7. Your digs look wonderful! Jeopardy and all, I bet you're going to make some great friends with this move. So happy you are taking Clemson with you. Hugs .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clemson is very happy in his new temporary home. Thanks for the hugs!

      Delete
  8. Moving the essentials makes you realize how much stuff it really is, doesn't it. Hope you will settle into your new temporary home and like it, although it will never replace your real home and privacy up on the ridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo! you said it! Lots of stuff. Good thing we're not moving into a motel room, we'd be nuts by now!

      Delete
  9. Oh my, you're certainly going through a lot at one time Patsy! As Cheri said above, ensure you allow some time to just rest.
    It was wonderful that your Dad sent you a message to let you know your Mom is with him. I'm sure that little sign brings a lot of peace.
    Your room looks lovely! Will be you be able to use the landing area as a small sitting area? All the best as you continue on this journey. Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of concern, Maebeme. We will take time to rest and yes finding Daddy's message was a treat!
      We could sit in the landing chairs if we wanted. We can sit anywhere in the house. We think our small 4' Suite Christmas tree will go nicely in front of that door. :)

      Delete
  10. Sorry you're going through all this at once! But I hope your life in Paisley this winter goes well. More importantly I'm so glad your mom passed on peacefully, and that you were all able to spend time with both her and each other over the last few weeks. You can feel very peaceful after all the effort you've made to be there for her. Take care and may all go well tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete