Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Counting Down, Minds A-Flutter, Sad Goodbye

The Ridge

On Tuesday, Oct. 10th, when I got up before 7, I got washed and dressed for work. Bill was already up and downstairs in the living room. I waited until 7:15 before I left for Durham mainly because I wanted to see daylight begin. Driving in the dark on these back roads is no treat. When I arrived, and the whole time I was at the Mat, I was alone. Works for me! 😊

The turbines were looking spooky this morning

It was messy again, recycle bins and garbage bins crammed to overflowing – for no reason other than just plain carelessness. I sorted through them and then did the normal cleaning. I finished within the hour with a wet mopping and found my way home. It was cool and wet and windy. Seem to be the order of the times right now, almost as if we’d requested it. LOL

A vase of dahlias
while they last.

Back home, Gibbs was inside and although spitting, Bill was puttering outside with more clean up. There’s the hand pump, the water pump, the rain barrel all dealing with water that needed to be drained and prepared for winter. The barrel is tipped upside down as are any of the pails we have around to catch the rain. There isn’t a lot left to do, but he managed to get the mower into the storage shed and finished stacking my bins in there as well.

This is a brief moment when the
sun made an appearance on the way to Hanover

At 10, I took M into town for a quick run, there will be a few more before we pull out and if that is what he needs to get stocked up for a few days, I (we) don’t mind helping out. Back home, just before noon hour, we got the call from Jess that her mom had passed, somewhat peacefully. It’s very sad for Jess but I think we all agree that it is a mixed blessing. No more pain, no more fight and she is finally at peace. Jess is a strong young lady and will get through this with family support.

Rest in Peace, Sandy

After lunch, Bill and I drove to Hanover. We like to pick up the greeting cards for all of the birthdays that take place over the time we are away, so Bill dropped me off where I could take care of all of the names on our list. 😊 It took me a while but he went to Pet Valu for a big bag of dog food for Gibbs and then waited in the parking lot for me. I think he said he dozed a bit.

Even a wee bit of blue sky peeking through

We went to Walmart for a grocery stock up and returned home. The sun tried a few times to make an appearance but it never stuck around. We did a few more things outside after we got home and came in just before the dark clouds opened up again. It had been off and on all day and by evening, that had not changed. Gibbs doesn’t like the rain so every time he thought he wanted to go out and piddle, he turned around and came back in. Eventually, he HAD to get wet.

I'm sure he wonders what's all the commotion
about these days.

We had leftover stew for supper with apple crisp (& cream for me) for dessert. Oohh! Now that tasted yummy. This has been another successful day with a few more things taken care of. 

Gibbs and I walked down to bring the
wheelbarrow up the hill.
There will be no more dirt moving this year.
It is just too wet.

Although we are very disheartened for Jessica, it was not unexpected. There seems to be a lot going on and our conversations are constantly, 'what are we doing tomorrow? what's going on Tuesday? what are we committed to on the weekend?' Frazzled, just a bit. 


What a pretty shade of blue when the sun
was reflecting in the pond

I hope you’ve had a decent October day in your world. I finished my book and by doing that in 2 days, tells you how much it was enjoyed. 

Hmm, the sequel.

There is a sequel but until I find a copy,  I have to find what's next on my reading list.😊 


Yum, apple crisp
Good night!

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are always appreciated.

16 comments:

  1. Glad things are moving forward. Last year, I was right with you, but it will be January before I head west this year. Sorry to hear about Jess's Mom. Sounds like it was time. Love the picture of your driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. We are sad that you won't be heading until later but hope to see you then!

      Delete
  2. You seem well organized as you prepare for your annual trek south.May you be blessed with safe traveling mercies.
    Mary


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we think so!! Thank you for the blessings and for following along.

      Delete
  3. Condolences to all in the loss of Jess’ mom.
    Love the flowers, very pretty and they would have turned to mush with all the rain, better to brighten the indoors in these gloomy days.
    The mat will miss you as will M. There is something fun about little jobs that keep us busy during our ‘summer spot’ time. Enjoy the last few days!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb.
      It is nice to be needed for our little jobs and also nice to walk away for the winter!

      Delete
  4. Lets meet in Q???? I got the Jeep following me and its got lots of gas this time. It was a short summer wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!! We won't be dry camping but we will be visiting and gas up that Jeep!! The summer was crazy short.

      Delete
  5. My sympathies to Jess and her family. May their memories bring some peace.
    I'm sure your minds are turning to your trip south. Especially with the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme.
      We are getting excited. As things get done we feel closer.

      Delete
  6. I keep a large notepad on my coffee table. Each line is one day. I write down all the appointments and stuff I need to get done. It definitely helps me remember everything so I'm not saying OH CRAP several times a week. At least you have two people to get things done. Time is getting short!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so organized but yes, lists are important. I'm not as diligent with them now, things fall into place and yes there are two of us to remember things.

      Delete
  7. The dahlia arrangement is beautiful. To Jess, Matt and family....I pray for God's angels to minister to you and bring you peace and love. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear that you are up for another year of traveling south! Where is your destination this year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, the above comment is from Sharon in Alberta

    ReplyDelete