Monday, October 2, 2023

A Big Dump! (woops!)

The Ridge

On Monday, Oct. 2nd Bill was up and getting ready for work when I crawled out of bed at 6:15. I’d had a rough night because I had a dream that woke me around 4 am. It was one of those dreams you don’t want to talk about in case it comes true so I’ll leave it at that. Bill calmed me down and I was able to drop back off to sleep, thank goodness.

So, before the day started for me, Bill and Gibbs went out at 5:45. Bill noticed the baby squirrel out front in my small garden. Gibbs noticed him too. With Gibbs inside, Bill went out with a glove and picked him up and carried him down to the Hangar. We're hoping to reroute him away from the Suite. We're both concerned about the little guy, he didn't seem to want to leave Bill. šŸ’—šŸ¹ Later in the day, I put a small container of water down there too. I hope he's okay.

this was on my way home from Durham
Such a pretty country view

It was another warm night for sleeping and I had the bedroom windows open. It only dropped down to 13C/56F last night. šŸ˜Š We like that a lot! Today was forecasted to reach 27C/80F, a lovely fall day feeling like summer again. Bill was gone about 10 minutes, if that, when, as I was getting ready I noticed Bill’s phone still sitting on the table plugged into his charger. Woops!

Leaving Durham

What an odd feeling, knowing there is no way he can reach me and visa versa. Wouldn’t you know, today is the day we’re expecting a call (on Bill’s phone) from our top soil/gravel man to advise when he’s bringing a load. So, I left for the Mat at 6:45 with both phones, knowing Bill didn’t have time to come back even if he did remember that he forgot. Strange statement. Remember that he forgot.

Pop, there's the sunshine
now where are my sunglasses?

The Mat was the messiest I’ve seen it in a long time. Of course, and after half hour, Alex called saying they would be bringing the top soil about 8:15. Normally, I wouldn’t be home so I cleared the recycle bin and the garbage can, wiped the tops of all the washers and inside others that were dirty, picked things up off the floors, wiped the tables and scooted out to be home on time. I’ll expect the lint trays to be extra full on Wednesday.

I didn't want to start with this picture but it was my first of the day
I'd say it's a good thing I stopped by!

I didn’t have to wait long when Jim pulled up in his tandem dump truck. A very nice young man, Alex’s son-in-law, and he obliged by dumping half load in the two spots we’d hoped. šŸ˜Š That’s a lot of top soil and it’s screened and looking great. I took pictures and sent them to Billy’s phone to show Bill that all was well. It was an inner debate as to whether to go back and finish cleaning but decided it can wait.

Jim was going to back in to dump but
when he got out and I showed him what we wanted,
he drove in instead.

Alex had informed me on the phone that it was a 
challenge to stop half way through the dump,
but Jim had no problem. šŸ˜„
It saves us a lot of slugging now.

Gibbs and I went for our walk and already it was feeling quite warm. M had asked if I would be willing to start painting the front wall of his place – which is actually the tenant’s apartment. We’d discussed this in the spring but it just hasn’t happened for one reason or another and it needs sprucing up. First, at 10, we ran into town for 3 stops and then I began painting in the shaded section. It’s about 10’w x 9’h and I finished a double coat by 12:45. I was hot and glad to be done.

Then up on the berm, he dumped the other half load.
Easy peasy.

This pile will help to level and fill in holes
in the upper part of the property.
We're always pulling out HUGE rocks that leave
HUGE holes so this will help.

Tomorrow, I’ll start at 9 and get what I can done before it gets too hot. He knows I’ll quit when I’ve had enough for any reason. Back home, I had an egg quesadilla and just as I was finishing, Bill drove up the lane. A short day for him. He’s on his last week of work so must be getting the ‘itch’ to get things packed up. šŸ˜Š With a fair bit of rain around the corner, it will be hit or miss as to when things get done.

The dump truck looks like a Matchbox truck
going through our gate. ♥

We went together, after his snooze, down to the end of the lane and started moving the dirt.  Bill filled the wheel barrow and dumped it into the new garden area he built for me. I spread it as best I could after each dump until it was as full as I wanted it. I’m not totally sure yet what all will go in there but a couple of hostas for sure to start and then more in the spring. We were hot and Bill was looking pretty red in the face so we quit before 4:30 and came up to cool down.

The pond still looks pretty through the rushes

Supervisor and security pooch
on duty - in the shade.

Gibbs sits in the shade in front of
my new little garden

Waiting for him to stop before we head up.

We made a bit of a dent in the pile.
There are holes down here too where Bill cuts
with the riding mower.

More snoozes, all of us this time, until it was time for supper. Leftover pork roast, fried potatoes, mixed veggies and gravy. Yum, it was just as good the second time around. šŸ˜Š Apple pie, cheese and whipped cream closed off the meal. We cleaned up and as I wrote my blog, Bill registered online for our travel insurance. That’s one more thing off his list and our minds. Now we know we’ll cross into the US on Sunday, Oct. 22.

It doesn't look like a lot on my plate.....

This has been a hot day, we did reach the forecasted high and have one more day of the same tomorrow.

but I had this to fill me up!
good night!

Thank you for the visit.

6 comments:

  1. I suspect with your work and at home to-do lists the time will fly by before you leave.
    That's a good sized pile of dirt! Day lilies would likely do well out front, and add some color too. Have fun playing in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the time flying. ;)
      Day lilies are a good idea. The yellow colour would brighten it up. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Yup yup ... that's going to be a lot of shoveling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness that is a big pile of dirt, but you both made a big dent in it. Time is getting close to when you will be leaving for the south.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of that dirt will be left for spring and yes, time is flying.

      Delete