Monday, October 9, 2023

Thanksgiving Monday

The Ridge

Holiday Monday, Oct. 9th started off at 2:30 am for one of us. Bill had set his alarm and gone up to bed really early (for him) around 8 to watch some tv in the hopes he’d drop off to sleep. Since he hadn’t napped through the day (or had he?) it seemed like a pretty good chance. Gibbs went up with him – you know – to help Daddy sleep. 😊

Today, was my last harvest day.
There are 3 pepper plants in the Bunky that
'might' produce something, we'll see.

So, this morning, he was up and moving by the time I woke up and noticed he was in the bathroom. Gibbs went out for him and had returned to my bedside. With a kiss goodbye, my Sweetie was off, in the dark, to London to meet his youngest daughter at the airport. It's a 2 hour drive, minimum. Jess's flight would be arriving at 5:15 and Bill wanted to be there in good time. She has been hearing not so good news from and about her Mom’s health situation for a couple of weeks.

There are some die hards in the garden
yet so mixed with the leaves, still add some colour

With a bit of a rush to get home, not knowing what news she’d arrive to see/hear, it was important for Bill to go and support her. Jess and Matt have had to deal with the loss of a parent already in the last 2 weeks and now she’s facing her own mom fighting for her life. I sent a big hug for her with Bill. Gibbs and I stayed in bed until almost 7 and didn’t even hear the text come in that Bill had arrived. He would do what he could, staying overnight at his other daughters, if necessary, whatever Jess needed.

I've been holding off cutting and digging
up the dahlias but today, it was time

So, we woke to another miserable day here and after my tea, my first job was to get the garbage and recycle bins down to the road. I loaded them in the back of Ptooties and dropped them by the mailbox. Brrr! I didn’t think I’d go back out this day, it was a steady drizzle, wind and 4C/40F. Surely tomorrow or another day would be better? Bill needs me to put all my little garden knick knacks etc. into bins in the storage shed so he can move the mower and bigger stuff in front of them.

The bulbs ended up in a brown bag
The cuttings ended up in a vase in the Suite.

So, I took my 'wimpy' hat off, put my 'brave' hat on, bundled up real good and we went out to get a start on it at least. Once you get moving, no matter how wet you are getting, you don’t want to stop, so I didn’t. It took me 2 hours to put stuff away, stack the big stuff near the Bunky and dig up all of my dahlia and gladiola bulbs. Boy, does that feel good to have that done. It doesn’t leave much for me to do on my own, if anything, so the next step will be for a pleasant enough day to take Jazz to her storage barn at Murrays and then take the shelter cover off. 

I'd just nicely gotten out there and
the rain returned.
I think I was saying
"Seriously?"

I was just finishing lunch of noodle soup when Bill called and informed me that things were up and down for Jess’s mom and that there was not much point in him staying overnight. He would be home for supper. There is Jess, her uncle and a very close friend of her mom’s to stand vigil and be there for each other. We are only a phone call and a couple of hours away if we are needed. She could hang on for a few days. Knowing that Bill was coming home for supper, I had to think fast about a meal and what else but a hamburger stew?

Supper was quite good.

Madame IP began the process around 4 and then I put her on hold until 5:15 to start up again. It’s the perfect day for this, I think. Most of the afternoon, I read my new book. Oh my, what I thought might be an ‘iffy’ story has me flipping through the pages. It sure snagged my interest! It is called The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner. It is also the perfect day for sitting with your favourite 4-legged cuddle bum with a good book.

I think Gibbs felt chilly today, he snuggled
on me for the longest time and let me wrap
him in my sweater.

Supper was ready by the time Bill drove in and it tasted very good with leftovers for tomorrow. We finished the apple pie for dessert. It’s nice he doesn’t have to get up for work tomorrow and little Gibbs is happy to have Daddy back. The rain hasn’t stopped all day but at least I persevered and got things done in spite of it. It’s like laughing in its face! 😊 Sure was a different type of day here. Waiting.

This picture is from 2 years ago, Oct. 9th.
It looked like a much nicer day!
Good night!

Thank you for the visit and Happy Thanksgiving one more time to all of our Canadian friends and family.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you guys very much for being there for Jess. I wish I could be there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we weren't so far away at a time like this but it was no question about Bill going. So sad for you guys. :( You are both so strong and you looking after that little family is something she'll never forget either. ♥♥

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you! That Gibbs is a keeper ~ so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully things will improve for Jess's mom.
    You accomplished quite a bit, yet still had time to cuddle with Gibbs and celebrate Thanksgiving with Bill.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rick. Bit by bit, things get done and we still enjoy the time together.

      Delete
  4. My heart goes out to Jess and her family. It's a difficult time, I know.
    I was a wimp here, but got lucky as we've had a few nice days so the yardwork is done for the season. I also got everything out of the shed and packed or stored in the garage for our movr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. They've had a rough couple of months.
      Glad the weather was decent for you, that means we'll get it next! Yay!

      Delete
  5. Prayers for Jess's mom. Good for you for working in the cold and rain. Hoping the bad weather holds off until you are gone.

    ReplyDelete