Thursday, October 5, 2023

The Change Begins, Day Two Alone

The Ridge

On Thursday, Oct. 5th I didn’t hear a thing until 6:10 am. I had tried to sleep without my ear plugs last night, just to be more aware, but with all windows open downstairs and up, the flopping of the blinds had me putting them in. Hence, no sounds to wake me. Gibbs didn’t budge when I rolled onto my back and then when I had to move again, at 6:35, he came up for his cuddling.

When we walked, it was obvious
we were going to be getting some different weather

I opened the blind beside my bed to look out and it was cloudy, and therefore, still dark. However, I knew the little guy would have to go out for his morning constitution so slipped into something quick and we went out on his leash. Back inside, he just wanted it off and hurried back up to bed. There was no morning dew so his feet were dry. Otherwise, he waits for us to wipe them. 😊

No rain was expected until later this afternoon
but the air was cooler so it was coming!

Second time around, it was 7:30 when we got up. Bill had texted earlier with his good morning greeting, informing me that he slept in also. They are working where they are staying so that is a nice change for them both. I made my tea, and after struggling with my online Wordle games (Grrr, I did terrible!) Gibbs and I went out for our walk to the corner – almost. It was 18C/65F with a pretty decent wind. The weather pattern is changing and I doubt we’ll see heat again for a while.

Walking along our front field fence line
I noticed this perfectly made birds nest.
No human could do it better!

I got washed and drove over to take M for a quick run into town.  While at Foodland, I picked up a thin crust pizza for supper, carrots for a stew and squash because I love it. M is waiting for Gov’t money to go in his account so he can only get the bare necessities, day by day. It means another trip either tomorrow, likely.

Our apple tree doesn't look much different
except that the apples have ripened a lot more.

I didn’t dawdle, the paint job looks good and he had the vine spread back along the cable. It isn’t a perfect job, certain spots I look at seem to be whiter than others but he’s happy and it’s better than it was by far. 😊

I don't know when we'll have a bounty like this again
so of course, I had to pick more.

Back home, I debated digging up some primrose to plant at the new garden but am still undecided what I really want there. Nothing too tall as we will be putting a sign up on the fence part behind the garden. It will work out. My Sedum will get split in the spring as I think it would like nice in one corner.

Hibiscus #20 bloomed but it wasn't near
as open as the previous ones so I waited.
Next thing I knew it had shriveled up.
What a great bounty though!

I have been reading more of my book, it is quite good now that I’m used to the three generational character changes. I’ll soon be done. When Gibbs and I came back from our walk earlier, I couldn’t resist picking more of those yummy apples. I will make an apple crisp or two, either to eat before or after we leave. Depends on the freezer room.

The apples look better than 2 weeks ago

There are things to do but it is almost too soon to do them, so I’m trying to bide my time for one reason or another. We got rain around 3:30 and some stormy weather with thunder and wind but come supper time, it had thinned out. I know we’ll get more rain overnight and into the next few days so not a very nice Thanksgiving weekend for us Canadians. This has been a quiet day here on the Ridge.

This morning, I took a finished picture
of M's apartment front.
It looks nice with the vine reattached.
Next spring, Bill might paint the upper portion.

For supper, I had some of the pizza and it was not too bad for a change. I should have added a few ingredients of my own but didn’t feel too energetic for some reason. After cleaning up, around 7:15, the rain returned lightly. Gibbs went up to bed for the time being and I worked on this. An evening of tv and/or reading. The tv will depend on the rain - sometimes StarLink doesn't do wellin the rain. I hope you all had a good day.

My two meals today.
An toasted western for lunch.

A frozen pizza for supper.
Dr. Oetker's Canadian
It sure isn't Silly Al's (one of Quartzsite's claims to fame)
Good night all!

Thank you for the visit.  

6 comments:

  1. Paint job looks great. Glad you had a quiet day. The apples look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug. Glad the painting is done although I didn't mind.

      Delete
  2. I understand the comment, "there are things to do but it is almost too soon to do them". I'm having a hard time not packing everything for the move. We still have a month to go.
    Sounds like our weather is making its way there. It froze overnight. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm sure you do understand that! Even with just 12 days left, I feel that way. :)
      Should I say thank you for the weather? I think I won't. Ha ha, it was inevitable.

      Delete
  3. Wow ... those apples. I'd be making pie and eating my fill! Glad Gibbs is keeping you company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apples are crazy everywhere around us this year. I couldn't even give them away, other than Donna who says she has enough. LOL Apple crisp coming up!
      Gibbs is perfect company. ♥

      Delete