Sunday, October 8, 2023

Thanksgiving Sunday

The Ridge

On Sunday, Oct. 8th we woke up late. Gibbs slept after 7 and it wasn’t until Bill got up to use the facilities that he moved and needed to go out. Another dull, wet, cool day on the horizon. We didn’t even have to look to the horizon, just open our eyes and we can see that fall (October) is definitely upon us. It was around 7:30 when this ole gal decided to get moving. 😊

If you see what I see, you'll understand
the kind of day we had.

Today, I had the laundromat to clean and our laundry to do. Wet as it was, I would be drying our clothes at the Mat. I don’t mind, then they just need to be put away when I get home. It was busy in there, odd for it being Thanksgiving Sunday, but so it was. I finished cleaning and by the time our clothes were dry, there were just two of us left in there.

Bill was taking a break and these
good ole boys are contemplating life here. 💗

I was surprised to see Bill and Gibbs outside when I drove up, since it was drizzly, windy and cool. It was 4C/40F overnight and it hasn’t budged from that. Here it is late afternoon that I’m writing this. I had no desire to sit and write a blog last night when we didn’t get home until 9:30 (Gibbs was alone for 7 ½ hours!) He is such a good little boy and dutifully ran out with a big piddle as if to say “Finally!”

Yesterday, on our dinner plates, Liz
had left a special Thanksgiving touch.
Dark or Milk Chocolate turkeys
from Rheo Thompson

Today, I opened mine for a nibble or two.
It is solid so a nibble was all I needed. 

Bill had been busy since I left this morning. He’d put a few things away and was busy cleaning the Weber Q. We should do it more often, we know, but because we don’t, it was a bigger job than it needed to be. However, we have decided with the forecast of 7 or 8 days of rain, we won’t be barbecuing again before we leave. We are ‘fair weather’ barbecuers only. 😊

I still had my headache this morning, for some reason, so when it hadn’t gone away from the Advil I took earlier, I took more and told Bill I wouldn’t be puttering around in the damp, cool outdoors today. While he did more outside work until noon, I decided I was going to take advantage of the day and bake up these apples. First, lunch. Bacon and eggs, he needed a hot meal today! It helped me too, the headache eased off.

The apple crisp looks good, hope it tastes the same way!

He had an errand or two to run so I made a dish of apple crisp using those fresh apples and then mixed up the batter for Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Kate’s recipe. I use fresh pumpkin so I’m never sure how things will turn out as it is not near as thick as canned pumpkin. We’ll see how the cookies end up, the dough is chilling in the fridge.

I had a Beer Margarita while writing
my blog. You can tell it went down pretty good.

Bill and Gibbs went up for a mid afternoon snooze and it was a good time to catch up on the blog. 

I got the "yum!" from Bill when he tasted them
so I guess I can keep the recipe. 

For supper, I had Rosy air fry the sausages. Bill had his in a bun and I had mine with a vegetable on the side. Squash seemed appropriate and I just happened to have one.


Liz sent us home with some pumpkin pie
so that was our dessert. Yum.

The rain doesn’t seem to be bothering the Star Link connection tonight so we’ll watch some tv before calling it a day. We’ve heard some more upsetting news from the west but will wait to see the outcome before I go into any details. By bedtime, tomorrow's plans had changed. Still, for now, all is well on the home front at the Ridge and we’re now sliding downhill! 😊 

I think the sun peeked out at one point but it was so
fast by the time Bill pointed it out to me, it was gone. *sigh*
Good night!

Thank you for stopping by and once more Happy Turkey time!

8 comments:

  1. Hoping the Bad News is not too serious.
    Be Safe getting ready for the southern slide and Enjoy.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same weather up here. Brrrrr after the glorious days we’ve been having. Hopefully the news out west isn’t to serious. Stay warm!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope the news isn't too bad.
    It's cool here too, just 3C when I checked a few minutes ago. The last two afternoons were lovely, reaching 20C. Very helpful in getting the last of the yard work done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. An update in Monday's blog. This changeable weather must be to keep us all versatile!! haha

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah ... LOVE apple crisp! With pumpkin pie and chocolate, it's even better!! Hope the not-so-good news turns into good news.

    ReplyDelete