Tuesday, October 17, 2023

The Days Improve on our Last Day, Dinner Out, More Sad News

The Ridge

On Tuesday, Oct. 17th we didn’t have a lot of things on our list to do so it was a slow moving day. Gibbs slept in until 6:30 which was nice for Bill, as he had a late night watching movies. 😊 No sympathy from me! I was in bed just after 10 and dropped off almost immediately. I slept well too.

I was expecting a gorgeous sunrise
so slipped outside shortly after 7:30

Looking across the Ridge top

I love how the colours extend over to the
neighbours home and beyond.

As soon as she rose, she got lost in the band
of clouds across the horizon.

Today, I took a run into town with M, the last one. He stocked up and we sat down and figured out my hours and what he still owes me. I also jotted down a few things that he uses for his business so I can check out the prices in Arizona. I might be able to save him some money. I was back home just before 11 and the rest of the day was spent crossing ‘home’ things off the list.

I was disappointed with the sunrise part but
the rays brightened up the Ridge considerably
for a few minutes at least.

Bill had done me a big favour and vacuumed throughout the Suite while I was gone. I appreciated that. He said he didn’t feel the energy to go straighten things in the Hangar. He’s all packed with his hobby stuff so if he doesn’t go down in the morning, it will wait until spring. 😊 We had lunch, Bill had a sandwich and I made up a quesadilla with bacon, peppers, onions, cheese, mushrooms and the last of my green tomatoes. It was goo-oo-ood!

My lunch. Yum.

The weather today was pretty nice. We were walking around outside without jackets and the sun was making a variety of appearances. I actually turned the Blue Flame heater and fireplace off mid-day. We reached a pleasant 13C/56F today with hardly any wind at all. It’s dropping to 4C/39F again tonight so we’ll need to button up.

Madame IP made the chili for me

After lunch, I made up a double batch of chili for the journey as well as trying some Ridge apple muffins. I’ve not made them before but they look good. They’ll be nice for on the road as well. Donna and Gerry had invited us out for supper in Hanover tonight, as a thank you for helping them with the stuff at the Acreage. Well, I didn’t deserve the meal as I didn’t do anything, Bill did it all. Anyway, it was a lovely thought and we accepted gracefully. 😊

We took our time going down a different
road to slow down our arrival time. 
The leaves are dropping rapidly now
but the colour is still brilliant in some areas.

On the way to meet them, we dropped some rolled coin at the RBC into our account, filled a jerry can with diesel (again for our journey), and gave Black Beauty a quick wash at the Pioneer station. With time to spare, we split up and Bill wandered through Canadian Tire and I moseyed through Dollarama and Giant Tiger.

They painted the white building a bright
red and the inside decor has improved
considerably.

Our meal at Tommy D’s wasn’t the best, for none of us, and that is unfortunate. Especially when D & G wanted to give us a nice meal. The potato bacon soup was the best part but that doesn’t include the company. We had a nice time together regardless of the disappointing food. We think the new owners might also have a new chef; we’ve never had a bad meal there before. Donna gave them a review and I will too. 

I want to say it tasted better than it looks,
but I can't. Unfortunately, we won't
be rushing back to Tommy D's
next year.

We returned home by 7 to Gibbs and he gobbled us his supper like there was no tomorrow! Good job, little bum! We received some sad news when we got home. Our winter landlord, Wes, has lost his battle for life. He came out of the coma about 2 weeks ago after months (2, 3?) but passed away yesterday. So sad, his 71st birthday would be in November. ☹ Rest in Peace, Wesley. 


My first apple muffins, hope Bill likes them!

The boys went upstairs to watch some tv while I worked on the blog and then sat with my book for a while. Not sure if I’ll watch tv or not – yet. This was a good ‘last’ full day up here on the Ridge. It doesn’t seem real that after talking about it for months, we are pulling up stakes tomorrow. 😊

we have 4 containers of chili in the fridge now
Good night!

Thank you for popping in to say ‘hey’.

29 comments:

  1. WOW! Thank you for the picture of the red leaves - on the ground ! Beautiful !
    Still warm here in Arizona ~ mornings and evenings are great though!
    Safe travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, i love the country where people aren't inclined to rake their mulch the leaves.
      Weather should be nice by the time we get there!

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed seeing the fall colors, beautiful. Sorry to read about your winter landlord. Safe Travels as you pull out and head south and west tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great winter in the south. May blue skies and green lights be with you and Bill all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 7 pm post for blue skies and green lights was from me...lol

      Delete
  4. Wishing you a safe trip. Hopefully you will see all your friends while you are down there. Have a great winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May blue skies and green lights be with you....I love that. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally here. Hopefully, it will be a pleasant journey across our country. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics, Oh Canada! Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels to you and big hopes for you a lovely Arizona winter!🧡🥳

    ReplyDelete
  9. Above (safe travels) from Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your final day before travel was relatively relaxing. My sympathies on Wes' passing.
    Wishing you safe travels and smooth roads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous photos of the early morning sunrise. So sorry that your friend is no longer there to greet you.

    Smooth journeys tomorrow and hopefully things will all go wonderfully with your trip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a fantabulous trip and an even better winter season! I'll send good protective vibes to the Ridge until you return!

    ReplyDelete