Monday, June 24, 2019

Wonderful Day for Selling, Lazy Times, Happy Hour in Town, Supper Treat

Home on the Ridge
When I woke on Sunday, June 23rd I was closer to my ‘wake up’ alarm time than I’ve been recently. It was 5:58 am so I quickly and quietly reached up and turned it off. My bedmates were still sleeping. I know Bill moved and so did Clemson but it wasn’t to get up, just a roll over. I got dressed and slipped out of the bedroom to wash and brush my teeth. I was out the door on this absolutely beautiful morning by 6:15.

Transferring water from the bladder
Bill could do with his eyes closed, I think
It was 57F/10C balmy degrees outside and the sun was turning this into another perfect day.  Driving to Durham was uneventful, which is always nice with so many critters around, and town was mostly still sleeping. I took care of business, literally, and was out of there in an hour. It was quite warm inside the closed doors and once more, I was alone the whole time. There is a small portable radio in the Mat and that is my company.

I can't get enough of my irises
When I returned home, our guests were still in their Journey and Bill was sitting at his laptop. He said he actually slept until 7 ish. Apparently, Clemson was up at 2 so no wonder they were both still sleeping when I left. I went to bed just after I posted my blog last night and Clemmy had been up there for a couple of hours already. Without taking him out to go piddle once more, Bill wasn’t too surprised that he was awake in the wee hours. Our fault.

Too soon they will all be drooping from the top heavy weight
I made my tea and took it outside but sitting in the King Chairs, I was soon cooking. No IP required! So, I moved to the shade and before too long, Kim and Ken came out to join me. Bill was down in the Hangar starting to measure and cut some of the inner door pieces. Around 11, Bill and Ken went to town, to the Home Hardware. One more small thing he needed and he came back with it plus his trim paint. That should look nice!

Because our buyer was generous in his offer, I gave the kayaks
and extra little bit of detailing before he arrived
We sat around and shot the breeze and after I went in for my shower, I made Bill his breakfast. I had a banana and yogourt myself, not feeling ready for the whole gamut yet. We decided to go get water from the Acreage so once Kim and Ken had their brunch, we all went over in Black Beauty. It is a nice piece of property too and we’d talked enough about it that were curious to see it for themselves. No one was around as Donna had gone into town to see Mom.
Dylan and Bill loading the kayaks in his vehicle
 We didn’t dally and we were soon on our way back home. In the meantime, I had communications plus *pings* going on on my phone. Remember that we are still trying to sell things. Once putting it on FB Marketplace, it has been a busy little hub. The fellow for the generator was supposed to be coming from London but we never heard from him. Figures, but I wasn’t counting on him 100% anyway. The good news is that the young fellow who responded about the kayaks a week ago, was still in touch with me.

He didn't even need to use the roof rack
Today, he arrived as scheduled, right on time and what a nice young man he was. Pleasant and courteous and grateful. We all agreed that he was the perfect customer. He almost tipped us $25 simply because he didn’t have the exact change. I’m happy that I had enough to reimburse him. 

Someone is happy for the food
After he left, my boss, Jamie, showed up with his wife and daughter and paid me for the week's work. Jamie admits to being a ‘flatliner’ (non-excitable person) but he had been celebrating his retirement all weekend.  It was a brief chat and they were off. When I said he could sleep in on Monday, Cheryl, his wife, said she has his 'list' all made out. Ha ha.


Our hosts, enjoying the company
 Bill, Ken, Kim and I were invited in to Rob and Pat’s for Happy Hour today so we loaded into Ptooties with our coolers and drove into Durham for 3 o’clock. It was beautiful sitting outside on their patio under their brilliant red umbrella. As usual, when we’re altogether, we had a great time until shortly after 5 when it was time to go.

Ken is a more serious Ken here
and Kim was being silly
Tonight, for our meal, we were being treated a bit like Royalty. Kim and Ken are cooking for us. When I offered assistance, I was told that I just needed to sit and relax. 😊

Eating outside, which Bill and I don't do often
It was nice for a change - bug-free
They prepared 2 racks of pork back ribs in their Instant Pot and served it with Caesar salad (our favourite salad) on the side. Wow! It was delicious! The ribs were exactly as we’d expect them to be, mouth-watering and fall off the bone yummy. Kim said she was a little nervous (as you are when feeding company) that they turn out. With no bugs around us and such a lovely day, we ate outside at my ‘free’ table. It was quite warm inside both of our units. Everything was very good.

Guess who is buying ribs more often?
We all agreed that it was a good night for a campfire, so while I was cleaning up inside, Bill started a fire in our pit. The wind had died, what little there was and then it was time for dessert. I decided on ice cream cones, save the dishes, and the boys had Black Cherry and us girls had Butter Pecan. That was a nice treat too. Clemson squirreled around at our feet hoping for hand-outs, which he didn’t get.

Chapman's ice cream!
It was around 10:30 when Bill stirred the fire and we said goodnight. With expected rain tomorrow, we thought it wise to put our cloth chairs away. 

The sun began dropping during supper
I knew this post wouldn’t get finished at that time so I took my book up to bed instead and read a couple of chapters before sleepiness overtook me. Bill had dropped off almost immediately. What a wonderful day! We are really enjoying having our friends here for a few days and are in no hurry to see them leave.
It was another great day at the Ridge with friends
See you tomorrow!

Thank you for your visit too!


  1. What a great day and perfect weather! How nice the kayaks are gone and you have a little $$ in your pocket. Kayaking is something I want to try, it looks like so much fun! Happy Hour looks great with your friends. Dinner looks delicious! Those ribs looks so good. A nice campfire to end the night with friends...PERFECT!

    1. I can think of nothing to make the day better than it was. :D We are so happy to find a good buyer for our kayaks.
      the ribs were wonderful and Ken browned them with a sauce on the barbecue.

  2. I’ve never done ribs in the IP. Going to try it soon. Maybe I can finish them off on the barbecue. Love your iris!!! Always wanted a kayak but no place to paddle.

    1. I never had either so it was a learning curve for me too. Ken made a rub for them before putting them in the IP and then browned them on the bbq with a bbq sauce. Oh my, so good!
      I was sad to let the kayaks go but with no where to paddle without loading them on the truck........we would need two of us and one of us is not as keen and too busy. :) haha

  3. It makes me happy to see people enjoying themselves and each other. To me that is what it is all about. I would like to try kayaks and the guy had the right them used. But if you don't use them the best thing is to sell them. Going to start looking for a couple of them.

    1. Thank you, me too. Laughter with family and friends is the ultimate!
      I'm happy that the buyer was such a nice young man and I know he' get lots of use out of them.

  4. Nice to get things taken care of early then enjoy the day. Happy hour fun with friends is always a good time. I have done ribs in our pressure cooker when in a hurry and always perfect. Other wise on the Weber (no dishes to do that way) they are always tasty and so tender.

    1. It was a lovely lazy day here on the Ridge. The friends and food and fire made the day even better.

  5. Another great day at the Ridge. You live a very nice life!