Saturday, July 6, 2019

Fog Covers the Land, Hangar Looks Great! Kids Go to the Beach

The Ridge
On Saturday, July 6th, we woke after a great sleep. We’d decided to turn the a/c off at 10 as it was cooler outside than in. Seems to take a while to cool this beast down. We opened windows and let the fresh air in. My preference anyway, when it makes sense, but we have a/c for a reason and we use it on occasion. This is what we have to expect during summers in our part of Ontario so we take it as it comes.

Last night's sky was lovely
I was up at 6:30 and Bill was stirring as I got dressed. We couldn’t see the road hardly down the lane either so my walk was delayed until 7:45 after my tea. I got out and back after 2 miles and just in time. The hazy sun was starting to show dominance. Bill was in the Hangar painting the 2 cupboards that I found for him last fall and things are really coming together in there! I love it and Bill is quite pleased with the progress and the result.

A little too foggy for my walk
No sign from the kids yet at 8:30 but probably Matt has had Domi out for his morning constitution. I sat with a water until I cooled down from the walk and read a bit. Bill returned for a second coffee and we decided to set the a/c for 77F so we can try and keep ahead of the heat inside today. We closed the windows and then I went and sat in the shade of the awnings for a while. There was a nice breeze again today and it felt good.

I had to share the road this morning
Matt and Domi wandered over briefly to say good morning and went back inside their trailer. Bill and I both had our showers around 9:30/10:00 and I made our bacon and eggs. Donna texted to say that they had arrived at the Acreage this morning around 9 and Gerry was off showing a house. If you’ve forgotten, he is a ReMax agent and does pretty well at it.

This Brown Knapweed brightened up the ditch
Donna has our soda pop for us and we have Coconut oil and Splenda from Costco for her so we’ll drive over after dishes to make the exchange. We also want to fill the water bladder so I can water the gardens. They will be needing it with these no rain days. My boss, Jamie, and I communicated briefly on Friday morning about my pay and it sounds like he has a crazy busy weekend. I didn’t want him to be worrying about it so we said ‘we’ll chat’. I’m not desperate nor concerned.

And I've missed these morning webs
We all piled in Black Beauty around 11:30 and drove to the Acreage. Bill got the water bladder filled and we all sat and visited for a while down by their pond. It was quite nice in the shade and when Easton started fussing, we headed home. He was hungry. Bill went down to give his cupboards a second coat of paint and I sat out on the patio in the shade with my book. When he joined me later, we read together and that doesn’t happen often in the afternoon. With a snack of nuts and Bill had some peanut brittle that Marilynne left, and a cold drink, it was very nice out there.

and the sun was trying hard to push the fog away
When our eyes got too heavy to read, we moved inside for a snooze. Mine lasted all of 15 minutes and I was up again. The kids had gone into town, we assume to the Durham beach as planned. Tonight, I offered to make supper for them so had ground beef out of the freezer, thawing all day. With some homemade garlic toast and salad, it will be a nice indoor meal. Give the guys a break from barbecuing tonight.

Bill enjoyed some outdoor time today
At 4 I started the ground beef on Saute with spices and onions. I texted Jess and Matt that supper would be close to 6. 

A nice pot of lasagna , 5" thick

Instead of an hour, 24 minutes + 10 nat. release
And now, doesn't that look wonderful!
It tasted great too! Just enough left over for a good serving
for Bill's night at work this week
We were eating a delicious dinner at 5:45 and that included ice cream for dessert. Easton fussed a bit near the end of our meal so Bill held him and he was a good little guy. 
Easton sat in the chair like a big boy while we ate
When he fell asleep, Jess laid him on the couch and he slept while we played a game of Wizard. That was fun, getting back into a game we learned over the winter.

Bill's turn to deal
Needless to say, Jess and Matt tied for the win and I was scraping bottom.  We spent the evening chit chatting until bedtime and we said goodnight. The air outside has cooled off so we turned the a/c off and opened windows. We haven’t seen 69F for a few days. 

And the bright red sun dipped below the horizon
the next moment was brilliant but I didn't stop to capture it

The geese spent a lot of time in the pond today with their grown children
I felt that it was some kind of ceremony
This has been a great day with wonderful weather and our company seems to have enjoyed their time here with us. It has been so nice to get to know Baby Easton better.

More grandpa time

and a couple of pictures of Easton on Grandpa's shoulder

And with a flash
If this doesn't make you belly laugh, nothing will
Didn't mean to spook you, Easton!
And a couple of cutsie feet
Good night y'all
Thank you for visiting today to see what were up to.


  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day with the family, guess you did nt get the rain we had a major downpour twice on Saturday , like wow !

    1. The rain was supposed to miss us and and it did both Friday and Saturday. Perfect for company!! :)

  2. What a great day with family! Baby Easton is adorable, those beautiful eyes! Dinner looks wonderful and yes, so much quicker than in the oven! Love the picture "More grandpa time" :)

    1. We did have a couple of really great days with Bill's youngest daughter and our youngest grandson. :)

  3. I love the morning fog. It's so cool!!!!! Easton is too cute ... those big eyes!! You're getting a lot of use from your IP. Keep up the good work!!

    1. Thanks Nancy! We are very happy with Madame IP. Aren't those eyes the kicker? :)

  4. I am pleased to see that you are still on the "Web" lol. Looks like your summer is progressing along nicely. Grandkids are certainly the icing on our cakes aren't they? Although the flash was scary for Easton, it made for a great picture. Keep having fun!

    1. Hey! nice to hear from you after such a long time! :)
      I felt bad for the flash until I saw the picture and then was happy for it. I had to laugh and laugh.

  5. Another busy and fun day! That little guy is just a cutie and that photo of Bill and Easton will be one for the memory books. Have a great day!

    1. Bill was happy to spend the time with Easton, as was I. Split families sometimes make it difficult and you miss out on special moments.

  6. Family time is fun time! Beautiful sunset photo.