Sunday, July 21, 2019

Different Direction, Four-footed, White-tailed Critters, Mom


The Ridge

I'll start off with a picture of last night's approaching storm
No point in making a ‘point’ of it because lately I have been having amazing sleeps. I don’t recall waking through the wee hours until around 5 am. Today, Sunday, July 21st, was no different. My window beside me was open all night with the blind up for the most part. At first, I had the day shade down to block the little bit of rain spatters but at some point, I opened that to let more fresh air in.

Good morning pond
We were both up by 6:30 and Bill made his coffee while I went for my walk in shorts and a sleeveless top. It was 64F/18C and the sky was a delightful ‘sky’ blue, imagine that! When I arrived at the corner of B.C.Rd and N.Line I decided to change it up and turn right. I felt great and had just had an awesome find on the gravel road. This is my reflection time, so to speak, and I have conversations with the Powers that be, Daddy and Clemson.

I was asking for a bit of confirmation that our loved ones are where I believe they are, something to support my theory that they are ailment free and that Clemmy is running with other 4-legged friends, waiting for us. No sooner, did I voice this hope/prayer/wish and in the gravel in front of my path I found this stone. 

On a gravel road, this one little stone was for me
I took it as my own confirmation
Maybe it means nothing to you and you can pshaw it but to me – it made a difference. 😊

it has been a while since we've seen water puddles
Walking to the north instead of the south gave me another challenge with a few hills to go up. It also made me pull up my big girl pants and bravely walk past the country property with the gates wide open. 

I went the opposite direction this morning on my walk
I’d pretty much convinced myself that they no longer had the big welcoming dogs so took the chance. No dogs and I was able to walk on further to meet my mile marker before turning. At the top of the hill, there were 2, then 3 4-legged, white tail greeters. Not deer, bunnies.

And at the top of one of those hills was this guy
He was very brave too, as he watched me approach
This one sat for the longest time as I approached, not a noticeable twitch so I tried to record his actions knowing at any given time that he would hop across the road to escape me. I got really close, maybe 30’ before he moved. Then he sat on the other side watching me approach again. Eye contact and I tried to convince him that I was no danger. When he hopped into the bushes, I continued another few steps and turned for home.

                                 and in slow motion just for you
                                

What a glorious morning! The humidity was still high at 81% but I sure didn’t notice it. When I got back, I made my tea and read a few blogs and comments. Then when the sun hit the King chairs, I went out to enjoy it with a book. 



The farmer got the last of his hay cut
The corn in the lower left is really high already
This book is called Trick and Treat and it is written by Barry Groves and this is the excerpt on the back of the book and my own hand-written ‘testimonial’ in the front cover. When I’m in the mood to re-iterate my need to follow the paleo/keto lifestyle or to question the whole fear of sunlight the world has – I turn to Barry.


You know my love for the sun and my disbelief in sunscreens, so it’s going back to the basics for me. Following his research gives me peace again as I soak up the much-needed Vitamin D that our bodies crave, within reason, of course. Around 9, I came inside and got washed and mostly dressed to go visit Mom. Donna wanted to go today too while they were out at the Acreage (it is much closer for her) so I offered to go for 10 and leave when she arrives at 11. I want to see her before we go to London tomorrow.

Sitting at the Hangar
I puttered around and then took a lawn chair down to sit outside Bill’s Hangar. On his ‘front porch’ I could hear his music and we could chat if we wanted to. At one point he needed help with the tape measure and then soon enough it was 10 and time for me to scoot. I found Mom down the hall but it was the moment I have been dreading. She didn’t know me. I was vaguely familiar to her and she asked if I was one of her girls. When I said yes, that I was Pat, she said “I don’t have a Pat, do I?”

Needless to say, we always have good moments
Big girl pants came into play again and I smiled and teased her about forgetting me. We laughed then and I lost the connection as the conversation went wayward. I couldn’t follow who or what she was referring to so suggested we walk back to her room, which again she didn’t recognize until I pulled her umbrella quilt up over her bed. 


It was a challenge but we did laugh some and when she named one of us in a picture and smiled, I was rewarded. Sadly, I have to admit to being relieved when I looked up at 11 and Donna arrived.

this is a lovely picture of Mom
We took some pictures on our phones before I left and I left her in Donna’s capable hands. Talking to Donna later, in a text, she had a disturbing visit as well.  We won’t give up on you, Mom, instead we will just get stronger. Back home, Bill was working down in the Hangar and was pleased to show me that he had his shelf up. This meant he was able to remove his Dad’s train clock, train engine, model ship as well as his own model F150 from the Bunky and our bedroom.

a little blurry (again!) but a threesome
It meant that I was also free to do what I wanted in there. I made us pancakes, semi-keto ones but they were so filling that all I could eat was the bacon and one pancake. They are too heavy for me, I guess, as I felt draggy for the remainder of the day. After dishes, I changed into my bathing suit for some sunning on this lovely day. The pesky bees and flies seem to have disappeared, for now, so I stretched out on my lounger, reading and dozing.
Another clip of the bunny

I was in and out of the shade according to my body temperature. I’m getting into the John Sandford book that I’m reading more now. It took me a while to get hooked. It isn’t a Lee Child or James Patterson story. The afternoon went fairly quickly and I can’t say that I did much else other than read so when Bill came up from the Hangar at 4 for a snooze, I came inside too. Enough fresh air for the moment.

Inside, I poured myself the last of the Beer Margaritas that I’d mixed up. I’ll need to pick up some more vodka and beer before I can make some more. Supper was easy so at 5:45 I lit the Weber and started to warm up the meatloaf and veggies. Easy in small pot pie pans wrapped in foil. As I did things inside and outside today, I had it in my mind that tomorrow we are pulling out so I’d close this cupboard and secure it now, fold our little tables up and put the lounge chair and pad in the Bunky.

meatloaf and veggies
I’ll be working in the morning so the less we have to do to pack up, the nicer it will be although we won’t be in a rush. Supper and dishes were done by 6:30 which meant for a quiet evening. It is 75F/24C aka a perfect day/evening. I spent a lot of my day outdoors so may just hang inside tonight with my book. I noticed as we were finishing eating that a family of 5 geese flew in to our front pond. That makes us think that our ‘grandchildren’ must be flying!

And our families flew in so some of the babies are flying
This makes us both sad as it means that soon they’ll be leaving the Ridge. Bill suggested that I take pictures of them since we may not see them again. I took some from inside, my very favourite thing is always how they swim in a line, still. Then I went out, risking life and limb to the bugs up there by the bushes and watched them swim to the back corners of the pond area. They must have sensed my presence as they then huddled together until I left.

The lineage is what I love the most
Bill was checking keys for locking the sheds up when we leave and I finished my post. This was another wonderful day with much nicer temperatures. I’m sure you agree!

And today, I saw our first snapper in a very long time
good night!
Thank you for stopping in! Your comments are always appreciated.


14 comments:

  1. You girls all have the same smile.😁
    I am starting keto in an attempt to get my weight down and get my blood sugar where it should be. My partner and I don't use sun screen unless we are going to be out on the watercraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the smile is thanks to Mom. Daddy had a cute shy smile. :)
      Good for you! It isn't easy to start, you wonder 'what can I eat?' but it works.
      As for the sun screen, hype gets me all worried and then when I read what Barry says in this book - I know we NEED so much Vit. D and the only way to get it is by soaking up sun for 2 - 4 hours per day.

      Delete
  2. It is hard to see your mom like that my mom was the` same way for quite a while. did not know us so heart breaking. At least you had a few laughs. Now travel safe today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The laughs are the best part so we try and joke a lot with her. I'm so afraid of the day when NO recognition comes like you had to experience. I know it had to be tough and will be for us.
      Thanks, no rush today so we'll take it easy. Feels weird to move.

      Delete
  3. As hard as it is for you to see Mom lose her memory, I applaud you and your sisters for handling it the way you do. High fives girl!! You're doing a great job. Don't you just love those bunnies? And the geese ... it's all about the critters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, that means a lot. I'm glad there are 3 of us regular visitors, it would be tough for one child.
      I love the bunnies and geese and your deer. :)

      Delete
  4. My mantra while taking care of my dad was "It is an honor and a privilege " And believe me it was every bit of that afterwards and never regretted a minute of it. Thanks for the pics...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heart shaped rock, you answer to prayer, gave me chills. And yes, you all have beautiful smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is tough that your mom didn't remember you, but I'd take comfort in the fact she has fun with you. Just your presence is bringing joy even if she isn't sure who you are.

    Safe travels tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. It is fun to make her laugh even for a short time.

      Delete
  7. Glad to know you're the type who talks to the 'powers that be'. So do I. Love the geese all in a line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in good company then! :) The geese children are so well-behaved! Gotta love that!

      Delete