Friday, July 26, 2019

Stocking Up a Bit, Trimming, Packing a Bit, Ribs for Supper


The Ridge
On Friday, July 26th I woke with a start from a stupid dream. It was one of those stressful dreams where no matter what you did, which way you went, you couldn’t get ahead. This one was about Mom, Donna, Cathy and of course me. All sisters who have regular dealings with Mom. So, when I woke up it was a relief because Mom and I were never going to catch up with the other two. That’s the way the dream was going.

breakfast quesadilla - YUMMY!

It was almost 7 o’clock when I looked to my right and not-surprising Bill wasn’t in bed with me. I was thrown off kilter a bit from the whole abruptness of my wake up so I opted to have my tea instead of a walk. Lazy girl. We read some blog posts to see what our friends are up to and when Bill went out to do some trimming down the lane, I finished my tea and got washed up. I wanted to drive to Hanover this morning, before it got busy, to pick up a few of the specials at Walmart and Independent.

Once I got to Walmart, I realized that their prices on everything were quite suitable so I saved myself the aggravation of fighting my way in the big grocery store down the street and bought everything on my list. Before hopping back on Main Street, Ptooties just automatically turned into the lot for Mark’s Work Wearhouse. 😊 With their “Up to 70% off” signs plastered all over, how could I not stop? I wasn’t expecting to find anything but did manage to pick up a few small things for $12. Three items for $12 is crazy, especially when one was a pair of casual/dress pants for $1.

Okay - $1? Aren't they cute? (ladies)
When I took them off the hanger, the only pair like it, and saw size 4, I thought ‘yah right’ but they looked like a possible fit. They fit like a charm and I could find no reason for them to be marked so low. Expecting a price error when I arrived at the counter, she said that it was correct because it was old 2017 stock. Cha-ching! They are more for fall, with the material, or a cool evening which we have a lot of here and down south. I’m so glad that I stopped. The other two items were under t-shirt bralettes for $4.88 each. Don't worry guys, if you don't comprehend, it was for the ladies reading.

Back home, I put the groceries away and Bill helped me load the 4 cases of Coke and Sprite (Zero and Diet) in the garage/basement.  For a nice change, I’d bought the lowest carb white tortillas that Walmart had. I’ve been missing having a breakfast quesadilla so that is what I made us for brunch at 11. Bill had his in toast so we won’t do that too often. He had been working steady since he got up so I offered to do the dishes while he stretched out in his chair. A snooze is as good as a rest!

a good deal on 2-meal ribs
I started packing for Ladyfest, which begins on Tuesday, just to get an idea of what to take. Items in the bag will change a few times before then but that is why I start early. When at Costco, we picked up a large 7 lb. package of ground beef. It says ‘lean’ and I prefer the regular with higher fat content but they don’t offer it in many stores any more. I divided it into meal sizes of just over a pound and got 6 packs out of it. Then today, I picked up pork back ribs at Walmart for a great price and split them into two meal.

Bill went up for his shower and I swept through the Suite. It is a warm day and we’ve got a bit of a heat wave coming again. Supposed to be in the low 80’s until Tuesday and right now it is 77F/25C. Without a breeze and with the humidity, it feels more like 85F. I weeded a bit around the close flower beds while waiting for Bill to finish so I could take a turn in the shower. The breeze is actually quite nice when it comes.

I took a ride down the lane and to Baptist Church Road
Boy, my legs need strengthening!!
But I made it all the way up the lane and the 'steep hill'!
It was time for my B.P. coffee so I made that up and hunted on line for a recipe for a rib dry rub for the IP. Finally, I’m going to follow Ken and Kim’s lead and make them for supper tonight. Then I went outside to walk down the lane and check the mailbox. It is a 'sit in the shade' kind of day. No mail so when I came back, I continued to read my Trick and Treat book under the awning. That worked until about 4 pm when the sun moves around.

Ribs just starting on the grill mat
I moved inside and made the rub for the ribs (that sounds catchy!). At 5:30, I plugged us in to power and prepared Madame IP. She hasn’t been used for a while so I could almost see a smile on her button panel. Oh! The good news is that Pat has finally purchased an Instant Pot! Yay! Once she starts putting some of the recipes into practice, I’m sure she’ll love it. I’m here to help her get started just like Kim and Ken were for me. I put half the pack of ribs on the trivet with a cup of chicken broth. I’m hoping that 20 minutes of cooking isn’t too much.

And the ribs turned out great
(too bad the picture didn't)
When the time was up, I switched to OFF to wait for the 20-minute natural release. During that process, Bill lit the Weber and got out the grill mat. I mixed up a homemade ‘sweet ‘n sour’ recipe to brush on them while they browned. With the last few minutes of release taking place, I set garden salad on our plates and then went out to do the grilling. That took about 10 minutes and they turned out great! I didn’t get too many oohs and aahs from Bill so I’m not sure if he felt the same way but the ribs were tender and tasty.

And my plate (for starters)
We cleaned up dishes and while I sat to download pictures and finish my post, he went back down to the Hangar. He accomplished a lot of small things today. The trim is up, his 3 pegboards have been hung and have tools on them as well as his corkboard is attached to the long wall. I think it looks wonderful and would love to show you a sneak peek but I don’t want to take away from his thunder.

I didn't have too many exciting pictures today
so went back to 2007 when we had our Goldwing
Note: Clemson in the goggles
The temperature today just kept going up and up and as I sit here at 7:30 it is a balmy 82F/28C. Just a taste of what’s around the corner. It is only going down to 60F tonight and hot and humid again tomorrow. I do believe the a/c will get a run tomorrow and if that is what it takes to keep us comfortable, we don’t mind using it. This has been a semi-lazy day; I’m having a lot of those! I’ve enjoyed it and I know Bill has as well.

and him in his crate

CC Rider! Gosh, I miss him
good night everyone!

Thank you for stopping in!

18 comments:

  1. Cutie on the bike. My sister and her husband did an east coast tour on their bike with the cat in a wicker fishing creel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't mind the goggles or the crate but once we stopped, he pawed the goggles off. :)

      Delete
  2. Clemson had a full life! I mean really....what more could a dog ask for! Your pants are wonderful with a nice black sweater or turtleneck for winter. I seem to remember you guys going to a dentist in Mexico? if you could or any of your commenters would please leave a name in comments. Thx..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did and ours was fuller because of him. Thank you.
      For $1 I couldn't not try them on. :)
      Yes we go to Los Algodones to a great dentist. Her name is Dr. Eva Urena. She has the nicest dental office in the whole of 4 blocks but her prices don't reflect that, don't worry. :) Plus her husband is her receptionist and a sweetheart.

      Delete
    2. If interested in Dr. Eva, here is her #(619)866-6992
      and address - 4th St. & B Avenue, Algodones, Mexico

      Delete
    3. I am definitely interested in talking to her! Just waiting for our passport cards which should be here next week. Thanks so much...she is the one the I wanted to go to but could not for the life of me think of her name.

      Delete
  3. Nice to get a few things done and enjoyed your ribs. I have done ours in our pressure cooker as well but usually only for about 10 minutes and fall off the bone.
    Relaxing days are wonderful and we enjoy many of them usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a quiet day for me and those are wonderful too! the ribs were great in my IP.

      Delete
  4. Love those pants! Too bad there weren't more for $1.00! Love the low carb tortillas, and you're looks especially yummy! Dinner looks really yummy! Love the pics of Clemson ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a few in different colors!!
      The tortillas are still 10 carbs but the lowest i could find.

      Delete
  5. That is a cute picture of Clemson with the goggles. I don't think the Marks store in town has the same deals you got. Great find and how can you not get the pants for just a buck. The ribs look yummy and yet again the IP came in handy. I'm back now so will try and catch up with blogs. Haven't read the previous week yet. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clemson is little ham for the camera. 😊 was.
      Love the pants. Don't apologize for not reading. Glad to see you when you can.

      Delete
  6. Your breakfast quesadillas always look yummy. $1 pants? Heck yeah!!! What a steal! Love the pictures of you three on the bike. I still have not tried ribs in the IP. Your's look very delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the quesadillas. All kinds.
      The ethics turned our great and i love the pants.

      Delete
  7. Clemson looked so cute in his googles! I just did ribs in my Instant Pot a few nights ago and they turned out great as well. I have had my pot for two years now and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one appliance i don't think i will tire of soon. Nice to hear you still love yours.

      Delete
  8. Clemson was a very brave puppy and he looked so cute in his little goggles.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete