Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry White Christmas!

Paisley, On

So, we got it. The white Christmas. For those of you who prayed and wished and hoped for it, you must be pleased! We woke up on Friday, Dec. 25th at 6:30 and there was at least a couple of inches covering everything outside. The day totally got away from me so I’ll touch briefly (ha ha, briefly? Me?) on what we did today.

Our stockings were filled so it was fun opening them together
I so miss seeing my kids and grandkids do this
They were special times

Morning coffee and tea. We discussed with Wes and Susan the plan for dinner time, opened our gifts upstairs, exchanged gifts downstairs with them and started making our phone calls. They weren’t all video calls today but we managed to speak (or see) all of our children. It’s the next best thing to seeing them all in person but oh how we miss those hugs and good times together.

Quite a haul
My favourite item is the Metal bird and the sneaky way my
hubby got it for me - It has a spike at one end that sticks into a tree trunk
I love it!!

Around 1, I put the stuffed turkey breast in the oven and made up my brown sugar sauce for Christmas pudding. Then, I bundled up and went for a 40-minute walk for over 2 miles (4.5 km). I took my ski poles and walked down along the river through the campground. The snow was deep by now, a lot had fallen today already and when I returned, I’m sure I was trudging through close to 6”.

Soon, it will be time to say goodbye to our little corner of Christmas

This was what we woke up to

I cleaned half of Ptooties off just so tomorrow I can see how much more fell since 2 o’clock. Inside, after my tea, I worked at the rest of our meal. I made and cooked green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, steamed the Christmas cake and reheated the sauce. Wes and Susan were bustling in their kitchen while Bill sliced the turkey breast in ours. By 4:45 everything was ready and served up in their fancy dining room.


These few pictures look like black and whites but they aren't

No splashes of colour here but somehow, it is still pretty

I enjoyed my Christmas walk
It was peaceful, very quiet, little traffic around and yet
not a soul to say Merry Christmas to

I debated finding a clear patch of snow to make
a snow angel but I wasn't dressed for it

We tried for a Christmas picture
The slippers (mine especially) spoil the shot

We sat down and that worked out better

It was a feast fit for any kings or queens! Delicious! I actually managed not to eat too much and Wes kept our glasses topped up with a combination of Concord grape wine blended with gingerale. What a tasty drink. Oh, and shooters of Bailey’s Irish Cream, 'to settle our tummies'. 😉 Nothing too heavy. Bill and I enjoyed listening to some of their life stories and before we knew it 3 hours had passed easily. We each loaded the dishwashers up and Bill washed the pots and pans we used in the sink.

A beautiful table set for 4

My plate
Roast beef, parsnips, carrots, turkey and homemade cranberry sauce
green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy

And Christmas pudding and sauce

some liquid refreshments

I was pleased with the casserole, good thing since there is a lot left

Upstairs, we had one more phone call to make so called Marilynne, Bill’s stepmom. She had been celebrating Christmas Day with her daughter earlier and just recently returned home. It was nice to hear that she loved the unique handmade scarf we’d picked up for her at the Grist Mill. 

Ptooties covered

Black Beauty looking dapper in a coat of white

There was a movie on in the other room so Bill went in to watch it at 8 pm and I worked on my blog, downloaded pictures and slipped into my new jammies. Santa brought them for me………..a couple of weeks ago but I kept them new until this morning. 😊

I brushed half of the snow off - as a test


There was a lot of snow fell in a short period of time and by 8:30
as I write this, it is still coming down heavy

This was a wonderful day. We didn’t have to drive anywhere. There was a bit of bustle to prepare our contribution to supper, a nice walk in this winter wonderland and shared some good food and times with our new friends. Merry Christmas, rather than a movie tonight, I think I'll do some reading! Did I tell you that I finished my crocheting? 

Last year's Christmas morning stocking opening
Sitting in our new chairs


Merry Christmas and good night!

Thank you for your visit!

20 comments:

  1. Oh the snow is so pretty, lucky you having a white Christmas. I love the picture out your window of the snow and all the storefronts, it looks like a small town Christmas movie.

    Merry Christmas to you and Bill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a white Christmas! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A white Christmas ... how cool is that?? I love that Susan and Wes go all out for Christmas dinner, even chair covers. We had rain, but not snow ..... yet anyway!! Merry Christmas to you and Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, if we're here, yes best to have a white Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas! I'm glad you had a nice day with your new friends. The snow is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a Safe and Enjoyable Christmas Day Celebration.
    Looks like you got double our accumulation.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rick. There's more than we've seen in quite a few years! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful day. We're supposed to get more snow today and I'm already tired of shovelling.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, shovelling is hard and I'm grateful not to have to do it.

      Delete
  7. Yes. It does look like a small town Christmas movie....magical. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Patsy.....your White Christmas looks wonderful! As expected we had a Wet Christmas here on the Oregon Coast. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Clarke and Elaine! So nice to hear from you! Merry Christmas and Happy 2021 to you too!

      Delete
  9. What a nice Christmas for you all, mine also was white with lotsa connecting with friends and family. Have a great week and good new year,- Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet you enjoyed this morning's snow even better! Enjoy it while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are laughing but yes, today's snow was something else too! It is pretty to walk in, I'll give you that! haha

      Delete