Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Windy, Cool Walk, Library Hold, Successful Salmon Cakes

Paisley, On

I didn’t feel that I’d had as good a sleep as I normally do. When I woke on Tuesday, Dec. 22nd, Bill was getting ready for work and after he kissed me goodbye and left, I was sure I could drop off again. I seemed to be in that state of 'go back to sleep, stop thinking about things'! 😊 Alas, I didn't seem to solve any world problems while laying there and yes, I'm sure I dropped off in there somewhere.

Looking out at the morning's snowfall

It was around 7:30 when I got up for my tea. Something about it didn’t sit right with me. I’d fully planned to walk when it was done but I wasn’t feeling great for about an hour. Strange bit of nausea. Luckily, it passed and I went down and had some yogourt and while downstairs, I made a decision on supper. No other major decisions needed to be made today and no obligations to uphold. I was feeling better so dug in the closet for something I'd been meaning to do.

I didn't take my poles today so just had to
be careful on streets like this

It was a nice walk along the river
This looking across at the back yards with access
If you look closely you can see stairways

I did some stitching on a fuschia top I’d got from Donna. I love the colour and style so didn’t want to just get rid of it when I wore it a month ago. Bill pointed out the seam under the arm that was ripped. It didn’t take much and I’m sure Donna didn’t know it was there or she never would have offered it to me like that. Or maybe she told me and I'd forgotten. 


Most streets weren't too bad to walk on

The second thing I wanted to work on is my Davy Crocket hat (for lack of a better name), (minus raccoon tail). I didn’t like the wide ‘fur’ band across my forehead so folded and stitched that. That’s for the really cold days when my ears and whole head needs covering. It isn't pretty but it is warm.

Sunshine trying again to break through

Around 11, I bundled up against the cold wind and went for my walk. The temperature said 2C/35F but with the wind, it felt more like -4C/25F. Today, it was another river walk and I realized that I was almost on the exact same route as yesterday once I got back onto the other streets. I’ll have to plan better next time since I like variety. It’s the spice of life, right? My camera battery died so it meant taking my gloves off for each picture on my phone. I didn’t take many, it was too cold!


I walked one block of the pathway

Back home, I made a coffee and warmed up the last of the pea soup from Saturday. With a couple of pieces of cheddar cheese, I was quite sated. I curled up on the bed and read some of my story until my eyes got heavy. Dozes never last long for me, they are indeed cat naps. My phone chirps or the phone downstairs rings and unless I put my earplugs in and/or close our door, I’m in and out of sleep. That’s okay though as at least I’m resting.

And of course the river dam

I had placed a book at the library on Hold last week and although it said ‘available’, I had to wait for it to say ‘ready for pickup’. I must have misunderstood because this is the second ‘hold’ book I’ve requested and I don’t get an email notice. I was sure they told me I would. Nevertheless, I checked on my account on the website and lo and behold they have it ready for me. They close at 6 and are not open tomorrow so I’d better get down there.

Some blue sky when I went out later to the library

Facing the cold wind, which was coming from the northeast, I walked over the bridge to the library. I questioned about getting an email notice and she said ‘yes, that is how we notify you’. I politely informed her that I didn’t get one either time and would hate to miss out on a book that I’d requested. ‘Hmmm, let me check.’ Sure enough they had my email but an ‘s’ was added to gmail.com. She rectified that right away also informing me that starting next week, it would be curbside pickups only.

Haven't seen the shows so I'm happy to get the story
this way

Back home, I made myself a cup of tea and then proceeded to finish the whipping cream for our pudding. Oh, while I’m there, I may as well make the salmon cakes for supper. I’m not great at these, but I’m persistent if nothing else! Bill is pretty good now, and tries (& usually eats) what I make. I remember when we first got together, he had no hesitation telling me ‘got broccoli in it? No way!’ Ha ha, he has mellowed and I’m grateful for his new-founded patience in my attempts. (PS, no he still doesn't eat broccoli inhabited creations).

A little Ginger breadmen on the fence

I haven’t decided what to have with the cakes but perhaps a salad will suffice. We do have dessert to fill in any remaining gaps. It was near 4 when I came upstairs and my tea was almost cold. Darn, I got busy! Now, to just bide my time until my working man texts me, which he did at 4:45. I went down and unlocked the door for him. We caught up on the day, the short version, and while he napped, I went down and started making a salad.

Not real fur so no protests, please!

Definitely not a fashion statement
but winter in Ontario means bringing out the big guns, pretty or not!

The salmon cakes were wonderful, I believe that is the first time I’ve had any success with them. We had salad on the side and the chocolate pudding with homemade whipped cream for dessert. 😋 

Black Beauty backing in the laneway


And a filling, tasty and good for us supper was had


I came upstairs to work on my blog and Bill made his lunch for his last day of work this year. We watched the London news and the weather for the next few days and it looks like we’ll get dumped on, on Christmas Day. Oh joy. That won't make my day but it won't hinder it either. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy with the white Christmas.


And an equally tasty dessert (not quite so good for us)

This was a good day. I accomplished a few things and squeezed a walk in as well. Meeting my goal of 8,000 steps, (3 ½ miles, 5 ½ km) was pretty easy today. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Here is a lovely memory
Dec. 21, 2016
Our first winter with some very special people
Lins in Yuma, Arizona
Good night!


Thank you for stopping in.

17 comments:

  1. Your hat definitely looks nice and warm :) Lucky you having a white Christmas and it was sure nice to see a picture of George with his big happy smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'll be warm in that hat. White Christmases - we're at the age where it isn't as special but it will be pretty!

      Delete
  2. I too saw the picture of our old friend George, he seemed to always have a smile! Take care, Rawn Stone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the picture from 2016. All of us from Rock Glen. It was a great time to have 2 couples new to Yuma. We had a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, you're quite welcome. It was a wonderful year, our first and we had the best time. That's proven by us wanting to do it over and over! :)

      Delete
  4. You need that hat with all that freezing snow! So nice to see George and Suzie's smiling faces. I miss his blog. Some day you will have to teach me how to have more gumption and get out to walk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will indeed! I was happy to come across that picture from our first year.
      I don't always have it so obviously there is not secret!! haha

      Delete
  5. Yum, salmon cakes! I loved those as a kid but my children have never developed a taste for them so it's been years since I've made them.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. Mom used to make them but we only got one each. :)

      Delete
  6. I see the racoon tails wrap around your chin 😀 seems you two have your winter routine down to an art. It will be nice to have a white Christmas. Be sure to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I don't know about an art but we are getting better at accepting the winter! :)

      Delete
  7. My Harvey has that same kind of hat (men's sized though) and he always wears it snow blowing out the yard.

    Love salmon cakes (we call them salmon patties) and have them at least once every couple of months.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are warm hats. I wanted a white one but couldn't find one years ago when I bought it. This year it will get its use!
      Salmon cakes are yummy!

      Delete
  8. Glad you are finding ways to handle the coming Winter.
    We enjoy Homemade Salmon Patties often.
    A very memorable gathering at Lin's.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete