Monday, December 21, 2020

The Countdown to Holidays and Pathway to Panic?

 Paisley, On

On Monday, Dec. 21st the week started normally. Bill was up and off to work before 6:30. I was up myself within 10 minutes after he left. This was going to be a fairly mild day, for December in Ontario, with a ‘slight’ (15%) chance of light flurries. Temperatures will be hovering around 2C/36F all day. The drive to Durham today to clean was uneventful, clear roads and overcast sky for the most part. ๐Ÿ‘

An overcast drive this morning

Concession 8

Last night we heard an unofficial Covid announcement that on Christmas Eve day in Southern Ontario (which includes the large area south of Sudbury) is going to be LOCKED DOWN. Because of this news and because I forgot to get cranberries for our Christmas dinner here at ‘home’, I decided to drive through Hanover on my way to work this morning and stop at Independent Grocers rather than do it on my way home. (what a long sentence that was!)

The sun tried hard at one point

to make an appearance but failed

It was already pretty much a madhouse at 8:30 but all cashiers were open and they ‘herded’ us through pretty quickly. I truly don't understand the lockdowns when stores have adapted so easily. I bought fresh cranberries so I can make my own sauce for the turkey. From there I carried on to Durham to get my work done for the day. There were a couple of customers at the Mat at one time and I left it spic and span before heading home. I noticed the traffic along Highway 4 to be heavier than normal so perhaps I wasn’t the only one taking advantage of the last few days to shop.

No lovely saguaro cacti to show you on my drive
but a field turned pond will have to do

I made a quick (and smart) exit north onto Mulock Road to take the back ways home. Encountering probably 4 vehicles between there and Bruce County Rd. 3 (Paisley main street) I knew I’d made a wise choice (she says patting herself on the back). At home, as I was unloading the car, Susan and Wes were just coming out the door so they left it unlocked for me.


And a field of pretty horses

Upstairs, I drank my thermos of coffee and had my cheese and pepperoni. Hmm, the Schneiders brand of pepperettes were a few cents cheaper than the Great Value at Walmart on Thursday so I bought those. This is my first taste of them and I’m not as keen on them at all. They are a bit spicy and just aren’t turning my crank. Darn! I wish I’d tried them before I was in the store, I would have bought the ones I liked. Oh well, they’ll have to suffice.

Back home, Ptooties snuggled into her spot

I took advantage of the time alone and wrapped the 4 small gifts I’d picked up over the last month. Bill will get his hands slapped if he touches, shakes or otherwise but he doesn’t usually get that curious. ๐Ÿ˜Š I played my online games for a while and then read a few chapters of my Jason Bourne story.

Hard to tell in this picture
but there are two trees in here that are stripped
completely of bark
Reminding me of our tree on the Ridge

Today, at 2 pm, I watched Premier Ford talk and the lockdown has been delayed 2 days. It will now begin at 12:01 am on Boxing Day, Dec. 26th. He explained the reason for the delay and touched again on the importance of everyone staying home. Sounds like the lockdown will be until Jan. 23rd. At home schooling will resume, extending the Christmas break for students. What a mess! Tough for the children, tough for the parents, tough for the employed and making for an even tougher Christmas.

I liked these reindeer with their horns lit up

Around 2:30, I slipped on my coat and went for a walk to get some fresh air. I need to shake myself out of the funk. All the chatter on Messenger and around us is getting to me. The Christmas movies, songs on the radio and Sirius XM seem to me to be all for naught. Advertisements to get out and get those last-minute gifts but on the other hand, ‘don’t go out’. LOL Is there a cave somewhere where we can crawl into until this is over?

I never know what I'll see on my walks

It was a very nice walk as always. Today’s total almost 4 miles so that is encouraging. There were a few people out walking today, enjoying the mild interlude. I chatted briefly with a man who walks every day, 365 days a year, rain or snow. He sounds like a mail man! ๐Ÿ˜Š Anyway, we went our separate ways but I found him and his dedication inspiring. In 2 years, his daily hour-long walks have helped him to lose 50+ pounds. Bravo!

Ah yes, one of the streets leading to the beautiful Mill
I didn't go that way today

I seemed to still be getting over my late Saturday night as I felt very tired waiting for Bill. I’d made myself a tea when I returned and chatted with Susan about a few things, including Christmas Day dinner. We’ll be here and they’ll be here in the same bubble so we can celebrate together with a shared/combined meal. At least that is what we were discussing. Bill texted me before 5 that he was on his way so I went down to unlock the garage door.

I met this group of school children
I think there were 5 youngsters
and there was a 'Johnny'

I don't think that was his name, but he was
the wanderer, he pumped me with questions
and had an answer for everything
"Christmas is over!",  he exclaimed,
when I asked them if they were ready

This is an attractive homestead
The trail I walk on goes behind it and I've shown you pics of the back view

He dozed easily after I’d forced myself to stay awake and wait for his text. Hmm, that didn’t quite work out now, did it? Ha ha. I'll sleep tonight. While he slept, I went down to start sautรฉing the chicken thighs for supper. Madame IP made 75% of the meal tonight with 1 regular and 1 sweet potato cut up in a pot on top of the meat. Cooking for 10 minutes, with a 5 minute release. I heated some corn on the stove when things were almost done. It was all done perfectly.

and the attractive home we're living in

After dishes, we came upstairs and Bill had his shower. I went next door to watch Jeopardy but it wasn’t a new one. It was called Around the World with Alex so going over the old shows from years ago. 


I returned to our room and finished working on my blog. This was a good day. I think we’re ready for Christmas now, I shouldn’t have to stop anymore this week. With the lock down, who knows how long Bill will be working in January, or me for that matter. I’ll have to talk to Jamie. Is the laundromat essential?

Happy Hour, Dec. 21, 2019
Pilot Knob RV Resort, Winterhaven, CA
Good night!

Thank you for the visit, your comments are always appreciated!

9 comments:

  1. I just don't get the lockdown stuff. As soon as they open it back up, they will be right back in the same spot. Another lockdown, etc etc. It's killing businesses and people!! Seems like people SHOULD travel to see their family because they may not ever see them again ... then they will have regrets because they didn't go!!

    The good news is Bill is making extra bucks for your next trip. As soon as that border opens, COME ON DOWN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Nancy. I've said the same thing. Just leave things open and let this pandemic run its course. It's very frustrating.
      Yes, Bill is helping us save for next year. How far we'll get, is yet to be seen but we're going somewhere warmer! :)

      Delete
  2. Had our provincial leaders shown some leadership in November, we would not be in this situation now. Six weeks ago was the time when restrictions should have been put in place.

    Australia is an example, the state of Victoria closed down almost entirely for 100 days, and life is nearly back to normal there with no cases in over 28 days. We'll never see that here and definitely not in the U.S. I think some of our politicians are aiming for herd immunity.

    But there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccines. I hear this morning that Health Canada is close to approving the Moderna vaccination.

    In the meantime, I'm thankful that none of my family has been affected. We've been able to maintain our small bubble and stay safe. The more I read about the long term affects of the virus the more concerned I am, not about dying from it but having to live with it.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are worried about the vaccine almost more than the virus though. A year of research is not enough to ensure that there won't be long term effects from that. It isn't a good situation but I'm actually glad for the contraversy over it all as it means we aren't all happy about the controls upon us. There has to be varied opinions, we are human after all. ;(

      Delete
  3. I agree with Nancy. There's still plenty of winter left after January 23rd. Liked the Choo choo train and you did get in a long walk. I'm in a cave like setting with no one around. I guess I'm locked down pretty good. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The train is cute indeed! Yes, you are in a cave like setting and we wish we were there with you! Can't get much more isolated!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're ready for Christmas. It'll just be us two here alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FG. Nothing wrong with just the two of you, two of us but we'll be sharing it with our landlords. Why not, we're in the same bubble. I do wish we could be with family though, this one year that we're home. One thing is the cause of the other. LOL

      Delete
  5. Our restrictions start on Christmas day. I refuse to say the word lockdown, because unlike other places that do have lockdowns in effect (they can only go out to get groceries, or prescriptions) ours here in Canada are not that bad at all.

    I have relatives that live in New Zealand and their first lockdown was very strict. They could not go more than 5km from their place of residence. Some places in the UK if you are 70 or over you couldn't leave your house or yard.

    We can take a couple of weeks with the rather relaxed restrictions that we are under.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete