Monday, June 7, 2021

A Mixed-Up Sunday Feeling, Uncomfortable in the Heat, Jazz Ride

The Ridge

On Sunday, June 6th I was the first to hear Gibbs at 5 am so I slipped out of bed and took him outside for his little jobs which always includes a morning walk down the hill and up the lane. When we came back in, I was going to keep him downstairs with me to let Bill sleep but Gibbs started whining at the bedroom stairs. I doubted he’d settle down but it was early and so I took him up to bed.

It was a beautiful morning out there
You can see our patch of 'hopeful grass' but it isn't doing so well

He wasn’t too bad and I kept him beside me until he calmed and slept. This was the second morning that I woke up feeling crappy. Not sick in any way other than a dull headache. It felt like I was wearing a hat that was too tight so uncomfortable. My whole body, arms, back, upper and lower legs ached. I hadn’t done anything on Saturday too strenuous so it was very strange for me. Usually I can relate it to something.

Gibbs was undergoing a pedicure

He behaved quite well too!

We got up and I went straight to my recliner with a tea and a couple of pain meds. Bill wasn’t feeling too spry either so it was a lazy morning all around. He’d wanted to get at the weed trimming at least up here around our ‘patio’ area but the heat was too oppressive. There was a lovely breeze first thing so we left windows open and unplugged. The sun was enough to keep us ‘solared’ up for the day. I didn’t have bread or eggs in the house so we agreed on soup and crackers for lunch.

My irises are really popping now

And Jack has gotten really tall

We’d decided yesterday to get out for a ride on Jazz today so leaving the dishes in the sink and Gibbs in the crate, we suited up. Bill didn’t wear his leathers, just a t-shirt and runners but I wore my jacket, since it is much lighter leather than Bill’s and I wore my motorcycle boots. I was quite comfy and so was he – until we stopped. The heat was ridiculous!

It was a treat to see that our Hummer liked the Corabelle

We have more finches this year than anything

Even though I get forgetful with the oranges, there are plenty
of Orioles too

We didn’t really know which way to go but Bill just let Jazz lead and it took us out Baptist Church Rd., east on Grey Rd. 4. I didn’t tell Bill until after we returned home but I was not very comfortable. The air felt wonderful BUT the achy-ness I felt earlier made every small bump send discomfort up my back muscles. Weird and I kept shifting trying to change my posture from straight to curved. Neither position helped.

Two families of geese started up the hill
I had to show my presence to keep them down here

They are sure growing, changing colours

Oh my, aren't they ugly little teenagers?

We rode an hour and a half and came back through Chatsworth so stopped at Gayle and Johns to have our cold drinks I’d packed in a cooler bag. That was a nice break in their cool house. Bill took a different route home which was a nice change on roads I don’t remember being on before. That’s doesn’t mean I haven’t been! I’m terrible at remembering where we’ve been sometimes. 😊

Priceville








Ceylon










Flesherton


Markdale

Bill said we’d travelled something like 350 km on our 2 ½ hr. ride so that was nice. I was ready to stop by the time we got back on B.C. Rd, with my jacket unzipped and my butt feeling somewhat numb. The seats aren’t exactly made for comfort, not like a Goldwing but I wouldn’t have missed the ride for the world. It was then that I told Bill about my experience with the bumps and after we got home, I couldn’t get comfy.

Holland Centre



Chatsworth










It was terribly hot inside the Suite but not much nicer outside. By then, it was 4 pm and too late to start trying to cool the place down. The a/c would run forever to cool it down to even 70 when it was reading 86F inside. We had a cold drink but I could only drink half my gingerale and felt an ache behind my rib cage on the right side. Good grief! I felt I was falling apart! So, I stretched out in the recliner and Bill went down to the Hangar.


An interesting old building
Maybe FG knows what it was?









Stopped at Cedar Haven (my sister's) for a cold drink


Gayle's garden up to their front door

Gibbs, of course, wanted to get cool too and kept moving from place to place so I was concerned about the little fluff ball. This morning, Bill had a shower and weighed him again. In 2 weeks, he has gained another 1.4 lbs so he is doing amazing. We have come to the conclusion that he will be bigger than Clemson was when full grown, his paws are like baby bear paws. 😉 Clem never surpassed 12 lbs. and we’re thinking Gibbs will be closer to 20. We should have called him ‘little porker’. Ha ha

Williamsford (still haven't tried their pies)


Also the Great Books Museum and Cafe

As you noticed in earlier pictures, Bill managed to use the new clippers and trim his nails outside today too and Gibbs behaved pretty well. Of course, he got rewarded. He gets lots of treats but they are a small training treat cut in half. He knows the word now and will sit at my feet quietly to get it. We’re working the ‘shake a paw’ at the same time but it is slow coming. 😊 Both feet come up instead most times. He is really coming along with the bell ringing and no accidents in the house for a few days.


Bill found an alternate route home
rather than Hwy 6 to return to Durham

Thank you for all the encouraging words regarding our training and his behaviour. We feel we are making big strides with him but the nipping and biting seems to be the toughest. There are many ‘don’ts involved in this training but only one ‘do’ that I could find. That is to reward their good behaviour, when they don’t bite. LOL We do praise a lot when he sits and licks rather than bites our fingers or face so maybe as he matures it will sink in.

He doesn't look too upset, does he?

Since Bill was down at the Hangar for a couple of hours, I took Gibbs out to the shady part of the lawn and I stretched out on my lounge chair with Gibbs tied to it. Oh brother! He chewed grass, pieces of wood from the fire pit and stones. It’s like he wasn’t about to let me relax. I admit to being frustrated, still dealing with the discomfort, but at least we weren’t hot anymore. 😊 When Bill came up around 6, we chatted with Marilynne and then Jess to see how the little family was.

with the sky and the fields,
it made for a pretty picture

Ayton

It was a good day without all of our gear, it made it easier
without gloves to slip my camera out of my pocket for pictures

Then we came indoors. Bill had some ice cream when we got home around 4 so obviously wasn’t hungry for supper. I had pork chops out but feeling the way I was, I wasn’t hungry either. I knew we needed something so he had a couple of bun sandwiches around 7 and I had a bowl of cereal just to have something in my stomach. The rest of the night was a blur. We sat in our chairs with the tv on and Bill put on one of his movies.

Making the turn back onto Hwy 6

I watched a bit but stretched right out, leaving Gibbs ‘in his hands’, and slept and woke, slept and woke through the ending, through The Good Witch and it was 10:30 when I woke up. Bill suggested I go to bed but I’d been comfortable so hadn’t any intention of moving. However, at that suggestion, I kissed both goodnight and went upstairs. My window was open and was allowing a nice breeze so I dropped off quickly. Relief.

Varney

We (I) learned a lesson today regarding the hot, humid days yet to come this summer. Turn the a/c on early when it is forecast to be this hot. We reached 30C/86F which will undoubtedly bring rain this week at some point. All my plants didn’t get watered today but I did get the ones that were just planted. Sadly, my goldenrod Spirea has given up the ghost. It has some dead branches and looking down the centre of the bush, totally brown.

Hometown Durham
good night!

I don’t want to sound like it wasn’t a good day because it was. Maybe, just not totally great. 😊 Thank you for your visit. PS - as I'm posting this this morning, I woke up a BRAND NEW person! Yay!

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you're feeling better today. I was going to suggest a telephone conversation with the doc if you weren't.

    That little face of Gibbs is just adorable! I'm sure he'll learn not to nip, he's probably still teething?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. I don't rush to the doctor for just anything but I was even considering a phone call if it persisted. Phew!
      Gibbs looks like a wee teddy so hard to chastise! haha

      Delete
  2. Glad you are feeling better today.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that old building was set up for selling used wood, like big barn beams, but it's been abandoned as long as I remember. Must be an interesting story behind Bill's tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a neat looking old building an wondered if you knew anything about it. :)
      Bill has always loved eagles, as long as I've known him and before. Because of his hobby flying rc planes, it kind of tied in for him too. It was his first tattoo and he was 50 before he got it! :)

      Delete