Thursday, June 3, 2021

Some Rain for a Change, Happy Gardens, Trip to Owen Sound with my Sisters

The Ridge

On Thursday, June 3rd (it feels funny typing June) Bill was up and washed before Gibbs even knew. That’s a nice way for Bill to start his day. He closed the door to upstairs and kept the little boy down with him after he went out for morning piddles. Funny how our conversations focus on the puppy’s habits. “He went out and did both but his poop wasn’t a very big one”. 😊 Such is the life of pet owners, especially new ones.

It had rained over night and was still drizzly this morning

It was important information though as it meant he would likely have to go out again soon. The sneaky little guy pulled a fast one on us and when Bill went up to brush his teeth, Gibbs followed and went into the bedroom and left an unwelcome surprise. So, he didn’t even ring the bell when 75% of the time, he does. We’ll get there, it feels discouraging but honestly, we are not discouraged. He is only 12 weeks old and there are more forward steps than backward ones. 

since Bill took the storm windows off last night,
today, I used my Norwex dust mitt and wiped the dust off

Today, Gayle told me to dampen the mitt and they will
come cleaner still

After Bill left, I took him out once more and then I left for Durham. I never heard a peep when he went in his crate nor last night at bedtime. The Mat wasn’t too bad at all but with the wet weather,  the floors get the worst of it. It was rainy and very wet everywhere this morning. It’s hard even to sweep when the floors are damp but I finished up by sweeping, then damp mopping. Two customers were decent enough to wait in their cars for their loads to finish.

Driving into Harris Park in Owen Sound

It was a good day. I found one dime (Daddy) in a washer, then another one (Mom) along a baseboard and lo and behold just before I finished sweeping, the last one (brother Bruce) under the bench. 😊 Today, my sister and I are taking (accompanying) Donna to an appointment in Owen Sound since her hubby is unavailable. Gayle has managed to find out that the European Bakery is open for take out so we're going early for lunch. Yay! 

So, I’ll meet Donna in town, pick Gayle up near Chatsworth and order lunch around 1:30. It was looking like our idea of eating it at the park or the Museum tables was all for naught but by 11:00, the sun started pushing the clouds out of the way and blue sky gave me hope. See, I believe that not only were my heavenly family watching over me this morning, they are watching over all 3 of us girls as we go about our afternoon together. Cheering us on.

Lots of shallow ponds for the little ones to play in and they
were

I had finished my tea early, took Gibbs for a walk around the area up here on the Ridge and laughed at his first meeting with Mrs. Yertle. I sure wish I’d had my camera or phone in my pocket! That was so cute! As soon as she moved her legs and head in or out, Gibbs would jump back and bark. 😊 What a goof! I had one of my keto muffins for breakfast and then boiled some hummingbird food to let it cool.

My lunch, the toasted dark rye bread
was tasty

Bill has started teaching Gibbs how to count his paws when he wipes them dry so I do the same thing. He didn’t include #5 for when his whole fluffy body is wet from the grass and the rain! Ha ha Clemson knew the routine, learned very quickly to stand and lift each leg accordingly when he came in from outside in wet weather, rain or snow. He was so smart and I’m sure this pup will catch on quickly too.

I washed the few dishes in the sink since I would be away all afternoon and sat and played with Gibbs since he would be in his crate for a few hours, longer than normal through the day. I feel bad about that but I know he’ll be fine and safe. I filled his self-dispensing water bowl that goes in his crate so he’ll have lots of water. He seems to drink a lot, well, often at least. He’s been eating all of his meals so his energy level is always at peak.

Things almost felt normal, having our picnic

Some of you will recognize my sisters because
you've met them
Gayle, Donna and Patsy

At 12:15 I gave him a treat and locked him in. He needed a little butt push this time, he didn't want to go in. I met Donna at 12:30 at the Credit union parking lot and we had an uneventful drive to Gayle’s home and then to the restaurant in Owen Sound. We called from outside and they said we could walk in to place a take out order, masked. I ordered, what else, but a Reuben on dark rye. It came with a wonderful dill pickle spear. 😊 We decided to take our boxed lunches to Harrison Park.

The seagulls were looking for handouts
but we weren't offering


What a great choice that was! The park was quite busy, the day was beautiful and we found a picnic table in the sun to eat. Better still, they had washrooms open for the public to use. Cha-ching! In these lockdowns, you just never know. We walked around a bit and then sat on a bench by the playground to discuss some possible events for our LadyFest in July. We have been tossing different ideas around for a few days.

I walked through the trees to the water
This picnic table would be a place to sit with your
feet in the water


We drove to Pet Smart where I retrieved my curbside pick up order of food and clippers for Gibbs and then drove to Donna’s scheduled appointment. Gayle and I waited inside, masked, and we were on our way home by 4:30. One stop to drop Gayle off and pick up some rhubarb plants and more fresh rhubarb. Huge stalks! We weren't allowed to go to Value Village or the Mission Store but still, the day couldn't have been better.😊 

I forgot to get a picture going in so caught the sign
on the way out

Bill was home when I texted from Durham that I was on my way. That made me happy since Gibbs had been in his crate for a very long time today. As it turned out, Daddy hadn’t been home long before me. 


We relaxed together for half hour or so and I suggested toasted tomato sandwiches for supper. That was quick and hit the spot. We did dishes and then Bill had a dish of ice cream and I had a cone. First picnic this year and first ice cream cone. Both were great!


My rhubarb treasure

The evening was a pretty one, with blue skies and the sun made the freshly laundered greenery even brighter. The landscape was also very happy for the overnight and morning rains. It would be an early night as we were both tired out. I took our extra blankets off the bed, we wouldn't be needing them. 😍

Still lovin' his silly positions when play or sleeping

He always hears the camera click
this was a great day
Good night!

Thank you for your visit!

13 comments:

  1. What a fun day with your sisters. I'm glad the sun came out. It's so nice to be outside. We finally had a really nice warm day yesterday. Gibbs is so cute! Oh my, your Reuben looks so good. One of my favorite sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day! I'd like some of that rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun day. It's so nice to get out and about. That Gibbs, his sleeping habits are hilarious. I know the pain of leaving them. I make my whole schedule around when they need to go out and feel terrible when they are locked up. Such is the life of a good Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, that Momma instinct is there even though they're safe.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful day in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that Nature helped you to have a nice day.
    Gibbs is learning. He is cute.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I played in those shallow ponds when I was a very young toddler. My grandparents lived in Owen Sound not far from the park.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful time you had with your sisters.

    Gibbs is just such a cutie.

    I picked rhubarb last night, washed and diced it up today. Tomorrow is a pie and perhaps a loaf or two.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete