Tuesday, June 1, 2021

A Busy Day – Ptooties Oil Change, Planting and PayDay

The Ridge

Tuesday, June 1st was a beautiful day in our neighbourhood. Bill was up and out the door by 7 and I followed a couple of minutes later. Gibbs went into his crate when we left, responsible for looking after the house. The Mat was in pretty decent shape but the change machine wasn’t dispensing quarters. Quarters are needed for some washers that are $3.50 and for all of the dryers. .05¢ gets you 5 minutes.

It's a beautiful morning

I did a quick damp mop in the areas that needed it and when I left, I drove around to the car wash and Ptooties also got a quick wash. She was pretty dirty looking and for $3 she came out looking pretty spiffy. Back home, I had my tea outside with Gibbs and brought him in for his breakfast. It was a beautiful day, 10C/50F, already at 9 so after an outside run, I put the little guy inside and went out to pot my new plants.


All cleaned up for the shop visit

I could have used more black soil but FS Coop didn’t have any yesterday when I was there. I had enough to do 3 pots and 1 hanging planter with some leftover flowers for the bucket up on the hill. Without the dirt, I’m at a standstill. I only had an hour to finish so cleaned up and came inside to wash up and have lunch. I had the timing just right to leave at 12:35 and gathered things, put Gibbs back in his crate and headed for Grey Bruce Fleet.

Mrs. Oriole is loving the oranges

And the finches in the foreground were happy too

As I approached their entrance, I wondered where I’d put my phone. Oh darn! I forgot it! I never do that and as much as I hate to admit, without it feels like I’m missing a very important limb. LOL I had texted Bill and received no response by the time I left so borrowed Kate’s phone to let him know where I was and where my communicator was. 😊 Unfortunately, my credit and debit cards are in my phone case. Crap!


Kate said it was no problem that I couldn’t pay for the oil change today, another day was fine. They are a new business here in the area and obviously winning our hearts.  She and I had a lovely talk again, this time more about dogs and she was thrilled for our news of a new ‘baby’. She has her own grown, large dogs in her office with her.  Two well-behaved dogs, I might add.

Hanging along the corral fence

The ones in the trays go up the hill in the bucket shovel

I had planned on carrying on to Hanover’s Independent store to stock up on meat for our freezer but this put a damper on that, meaning driving back home 20 minutes, back to the shop to pay and then go shopping.  As it turned out, we needed a cabin filter but she wouldn’t have one until early morning Wednesday so she suggested I wait and pay in the morning when I stop for them to put it in. That made my decision easier. I would go home today and do the shopping tomorrow too.


This one is over by the outhouse

By this time, I was quite warm and so was the day but back home I didn’t want to waste a minute. I loaded up the wagon with the tomato and pepper plants, trowel, hoe, a full watering can, Gibbs’ water dish, my water bottle, garden gloves and his long rope leash. By hook or by crook I’d get these planted today. As you can imagine, it wasn’t easy. Someone’s name got spoken (loudly) Leroy Jethro! quite a few times until he got the idea that he couldn’t walk on the plants nor could he drink the water I poured into the holes.


Down by the corral

Finally, happy with the job, I loaded up and headed down the hill. Gibbs’ rope was all tangled up in the wheels and I had to detangle them a few times. Maybe that wasn’t such a great idea but I didn’t think it fair to leave him indoors again. When we came down, I took him off the leash and let him run for a bit while I put things away. This made me nervous because he has a tendency to chase Chippy. I witnessed that first hand earlier when he was on his retractable leash, thank God! He went right over the steep hill that leads to the shallow pond.

So, the vegetables are planted and there's room 
for more, once I decide.

I heard Jamie turn into the lane so managed to get a grip on my excited little guy and chatted with my boss for a few minutes. Payday! Yay! It is always nice to have that cash even if it isn’t a windfall. I worked for it and Jamie is happy to drive it out when he is able 😊 After he left, I put Gibbs inside. He was tired I’m sure. Soon after, Bill drove in and we eventually all came inside for a much-needed rest.


Including the ones not yet opened, we
have 21 blooms

Since I didn’t get shopping today, we’ll be having fish and chips for supper. I will be happy to have meal choices again, things are looking pretty sparse in the freezer. The Basa filets were good and the deep-fried chips were too. I had some leftover mushroom gravy in the fridge so I heated that up and it added to my meal quite nicely. I hate wasting gravy so this worked out perfectly.

The little hummer taking a break from his meal
 I zoomed in, this house is 2 properties away

When we were almost done dishes, Gibbs began ringing the bells at the door. I’ve been waiting for him to have a poop all day so I was happy when we walked down the corral hill and he took his time but did his business. It seems to be a routine for him before his evening supper at 8. Bill packed his lunch and then went out to do the finishing touches on the stoop. We were missing a few boards; I think I mentioned that on Saturday.

We've seen 3 turtles over the last week after not
seeing any nesters for weeks

Supper was so good even though it was forbidden

Gibbs sat at the door and pined for his Daddy but I stayed inside with him and worked on my blog. 

The bottom two steps are now finished
They were each just one single board since Saturday

After Bill went out to work on the step
Gibbs patiently waited for him
The day was a bit upside down with my plans being changed but since it was from my own forgetfulness that caused the change, I can only blame myself. Besides, only the appointment was carved in stone, the shopping can be done on my day off tomorrow. 😊This was a great day and the summer weather is absolutely welcome! More of that is on the way.

Looking out our back window facing east,
the sunset reflects on the neighbours shed


And the pink clouds are beautiful too
Good night
I hope your day was a good one too

Thank you for stopping in for a visit. Your comments are always welcome.

12 comments:

  1. Your new stairs look awesome, and I'm sure are much nicer for Gibbs to use :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we are very happy with them. Gibbs is still too small and timid of the stairs to use them and there is a gap between the door and the first board until Bill finishes it off.

      Delete
  2. Love the stairs. Mr. Gibbs will have a much easier time getting in and out. I'm with you on leaving your phone home. It's amazing just how much I use mine and feel totally lost without it. Great job on your garden ... I'm so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Soon enough Gibbs will be comfortable using the stairs.
      My phone is like a right arm, I can't believe I left it behind.

      Delete
  3. Nice shot of the hummingbird!

    I'm sure the stairs will be easier for Gibbs to navigate too. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill did a great job with the stairs and they are such an improvement. Wish we had them as I hate the ones we have now with the new travel trailer. Gibbs is amazing and so well trained already. Thanks to you! You'll have quite a vegetable garden in the summer and lots of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene. Bill and the boys did an excellent job on the stoop. :) Happy camper here.
      Gibbs has been pretty easy to train, now just the nipping.

      Delete
  5. Gibbs just gets cuter and cuter! Your flowers and garden look awesome! Nice to get paid for sure. Love the stairs, bet you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. LoL..Yep I feel naked without my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibbs can get into trouble and it's hard to chastise him with that cute face. :)

      Delete
  6. Good job on the stairs. They look nice and sturdy.

    I took our vehicle in for an oil change today and this was our first of two free oil changes. Love when I do not have to pay for something at our dealership.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete