Saturday, February 15, 2020

Up With the Birds, Los Algodones, Karaoke Night


Pilot Knob RV Resort, Winterhaven, CA
We both were awake before the alarm on Saturday, Feb. 15th. Bill set it for 6 am just in case. The day you need to get up would be the day you sleep longer than you want. Murphy’s Law, right? So, we took our time, had our coffee and tea and then got washed and ready to leave. We got caught up on blog posts to see where friends are and by 7:30 were out the door.

A pretty sunrise
Driving towards the Algodones cut off
I wasn’t nervous, yet. I’m not crazy about dental work but who is? By the time we’d crossed the border and were sitting in the waiting room of Dr. Eva’s office, my breathing was a bit rapid. I was called in right on time and within 30 minutes, we were paying the bill. My wisdom/molar came out easily although I couldn’t have told you that with the freezing.

Algodones Rd.
There seemed to be a lot of things happening in my mouth which Dr. Eva later told me it was infection she was cleaning up. I was pleased that the tooth was removed with no extra work required. George, her husband and receptionist, gave me a prescription for antibiotics and pain pills which we had filled at the Purple Pharmacy. It was a quick in and out and we walked right through the gate, and past security by 9 am.

I have to admit that I was much happier after the appointment
so was putting on a brave face here before we went in
The park across from the dental office wsn't 'awake' yet
When we got back into Arizona, we turned our phone’s Flight Mode off and I texted the 3 people mostly concerned about me. The freezing would come out during the morning, I’m sure, so I took a pain pill as soon as I got home. I’m not tough and won’t pretend to be so would baby myself today. We were pleased that the dentist bill plus meds was no more than we’d planned for it to be. Back home, I started my post and then sat in my chair with my book.

The storage area across from our site is almost cleared out for the weekend
Sitting at our site, this is our view of the storage area
Bill and I dozed off a bit and I got a few chapters read too. He was charging plane batteries and before too long I started breakfast. I made him bacon and eggs and warmed up the last of my steel cut oats. Nice soft food for me and I had some large curd Cottage Cheese as well. That was very tasty. We got the dishes done and we moved outside to sit with our books. I wanted to walk but Bill was being protective of me and suggested waiting for a bit. That was sweet.

Ken is modelling my hat for me
Around 1:30, I walked, slowly, with my hat on, up to the puzzle room. Carmen was waiting for the mail to arrive so we worked on the new puzzle together. She doesn’t play by the ‘border first’ rule all the time but I do so while she worked on the sky, I finished what I could of the outside edge. The pieces are odd and they don’t all join together so in Carmen’s defense, she started the sky to find the pieces that would do that. She just got carried away. LOL Around 2:40, my tooth (or lack of) was starting to throb a bit so I walked back home.

A couple of surprise visitors for Happy Hour
Ken, Doug, Yuma, Kim
 We’d invited K & K for Happy Hour so we prepared for company. I just had water, not wanting to mix alcohol with the pain medication I took. The sun was hot and at one point Kim had to move to the shade of the truck. Our big surprise today was when Bill looked across the lot and said “Is that Doug and Yuma?” It sure was! Doug arrived before noon today and was parked in the back row along the fence. We didn’t know he was coming but were all very happy to see him.

And bill was in the other corner of the patio
There are some things about the White Lion that he doesn’t know how to deal with so Bill and Ken offered to go around tomorrow and see if they could help him out. He is finally feeling a bit better after being under the weather and once he gets things a bit organized, hopefully us gals will finagle a tour. 😊 It takes time to get things put away into any new ‘home’ and moving from one rv to another is no exception. We had a nice visit and around 5 everyone left to go home for supper.

I almost forgot to take the picture
The cherry tomatoes were added on the side
Wanting soft foods and following the dentist’s advice, I started Madame IP to make Cheeseburger and Bacon Soup. It was a recipe that came up as a suggestion the other day and I saved it. It sounds good. I had 2 Pillsbury buns to bake so pulled those out of the fridge as well. We had planned to go up to the clubhouse tonight for a while since rumour had it that there were going to be one or two good singers, for karaoke. I didn't think it would take long to prepare supper.


Bill was concerned about Keith, who had gone out with Oreo earlier and we hadn’t heard that he was home. He hopped on my bike to ease his mind and found them both home, safe and sound. We could breathe a sigh of relief now and enjoy supper. Speaking of supper, the soup tasted really good! I had to thicken it a bit and know that I’ll make it again but next time I’ll add mixed vegetables. Noodles of some kind or rice would work too but tonight’s meal was still a success.


Isn't this a pretty sky?
We rushed with dishes and then walked up to the clubhouse for Karaoke. We aren’t big fans of this type of entertainment at all. Ken was the attraction for us and together we enjoyed him singing 2 songs tonight. He had two more but Bill left before his turn came up again. Before I left, I slipped my braided wig on as Ken sang Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain by Willie Nelson. I told him I was his biggest fan. 😃 He has a very nice voice and kudos to you, Ken, for stepping up to the mic.

On the way to the clubhouse, Keith was enjoying a small fire in his
propane firepot
It was about 8:30 when I walked back part of the way with Keith and then flicked my flashlight on to guide me the rest of the way home. It was a very mild night. Back home, I finished my post and then sat with Bill until I couldn’t stay awake any longer. I debated whether to take a pain pill before bed as I wasn’t feeling any pain at all. This was a day that I wasn’t looking forward to but now it is behind me and so far, no repercussions from the extraction.

Karaoke
Ken, Gordon sings Tequila
Deb, Barb and Joe
Ken 
It is a long weekend here in the U.S. for President’s Day and it is a 'hot' time out on the dunes. We’ve watched the stored toy haulers and cargo trailers get picked up from the park since late Friday afternoon and we’ll watch them come back again between now and Monday evening. Keith reports that the sand dune areas west of us are jam-packed with avid ‘quaders’. I just hope everyone is safe.

A little more of that pretty sky
Good night from Pilot Knob!
Back home, it is a long weekend too. We call it Family Day weekend and all children are off school and many businesses are closed on Monday. I hope you’ve had a great Saturday no matter what holiday you are celebrating.

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are always welcome.

16 comments:

  1. I too am NOT a fan of dental work. I had several bad experiences as a kid and even though I've had good dentists the past 30+ years the bad memories cause me to cringe when I need work done. I'm glad yours went well.

    Ken should have worn your wig as he sang Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain - he sure reminds me of Willie with it on....a younger version! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri, I'm glad the dental work went well too!
      I was trying to talk Ken into wearing the wig but he was a bit nervous last night. He took it but needed a few more beer before he'd wear it! haha

      Delete
  2. SO glad your mouth is doing good. Dentists give me the willies!! Keep up with the soft food and antibiotics until it's well healed!! I completely forgot it's a holiday weekend. No wonder traffic has been so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, me too. We all hear horror stories.
      We have to go shopping this morning. We'll probably regret that!

      Delete
  3. I bet you are so very relieved to have that tooth out and the dental visit over with. Hopefully you won't have to go back for another year or more. That propane fire pot of Ken's looks like a good item to have for us RVers. No need for firewood to schlep around and better for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, I'm so relieved.
      Keith loves his firepit, the perfect thing.

      Delete
  4. You'll slowly start feeling better now that the Wisdom Tooth is gone.
    Nice to have unexpected visitors and to look out for friends that don't really know the area.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your recovery.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Marlene said above, it is so great to have the tooth out. :)
      We hope to be able to help Doug with his new unit.

      Delete
  5. Glad your dental work went well! I'm the same as Cheri with bad experiences as a child, I hate going but sometimes it has to be done. Glad Doug and Yuma made it over and I'm sure between Ken and Bill he'll get his ? answered. Nice Keith got the "Little Red Campfire". Ken is just too too cute! He does look like Willie with the hat on! To be so brave to get up and sing, would love to have seen that! No video? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad it is over. It was a breeze with Dr. Eva. :)
      The boys will do what they can for Doug. Nice that he is open to help along the way.
      Keith does like his firepit. He saw yours and wanted one.
      Ken is a good singer and yet shy. He wouldn't wear the hat wig but that's okay. Another time, maybe?

      Delete
  6. So happy to hear your dental work went so well. The evening sky is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Family Day! So glad your tooth came out without a problem. I am afraid of dentists, but I go twice a year so nothing major sneaks up on me. Good to hear Keath and Oreo are fine. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Doug and Happy President's Day to you!
      We all need dentists, don't we? Like 'em or not. Dr. Eva is great.

      Delete
  8. When I first saw the pic of ken in the braids I thought he looks just like Willie! Now I understand why he wore it. We'll have to get him to lead us in a few songs at an extended happy hour some time.
    Hope your tooth, or at least the gum were it was, is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looked great in the braids but wouldn't wear them while singing. He sang very well.
      Great idea for happy hour!!
      Thanks Dave, I think it is going to be great tomorrow. The 'hole' where the tooth was. :)

      Delete