Thursday, February 18, 2021

A Change of Pace, Touring from the Back Seat, Surprise Call

 

Paisley, On

On Thursday, Feb. 18th, Bill was up and off by 6:30. It had been a cold night, -19C/6F, but Black Beauty was seemingly done playing around and started up this morning. 😊 I turned my light on within minutes after Bill left since I knew I was done sleeping. I reached for my book and finished the last 3 chapters of The Tin Roof Blowdown. It was a good read.

The sun was doing this all day but never really made it
out in full force for very long

I made my tea and had a banana up in our room and then got washed and washed my hair. It’s hard to judge from my point of view how much lighter my hair is getting by using a ‘fade’ shampoo but I think it is, bit by bit. I wish I had warm sunshine to sit in as that would certainly help the process! When my hair was still wet, I heard Wes and  calling upstairs to me. They were making their weekly trek for shopping today and asked if I wanted to tag along.

I apologize for the blur, this would be a cute picture
A little shanty built on top of a silo
I'll try and get a better pix when next I pass this way

That sounded to me like a nice change of pace and although I didn’t have anything in particular that I needed, after shopping yesterday, it would be a different kind of day. Nice to have someone else drive and show me places where they shop. We left at 10, after I blew dry my hair, and it turned out to be a good day for a drive. I won’t name all the places we stopped but it was a full day of errand running for them and I found a few things at the Dollar Tree and some books at the newly renovated and expanded Mission Store in Owen Sound.

Just some back seat views



We hit Subway before noon hour and the students arrived

For lunch, they were going to Subway and I had no objection to that so ordered their version of an egg McMuffin. I added green olives and green peppers and it was quite tasty and hit the spot. $3.60, can’t beat it. We were on our way home shortly after 2, driving through Southampton, Saugeen Shores and Port Elgin with stops here and there. Wes pulled in to the DIY car wash and gave their van a wash and we were home.

I did good with these books
$1.25 or less

Before getting settled, I walked up to the post office and bought stamps so I could mail some greeting cards. Back upstairs with a cup of tea, I was ready to relax until I got Bill’s text. I didn’t do all that much walking but felt tired, from sitting, I guess. The temperature had risen to -1C/30F on our drive home and that was closer to the lake but now was resting around -4C/24F. We aren’t griping, it is going in the right direction.

Low lying clouds make us think more 'weather' is coming

I started a new book, a Michael Connelly story with Harry Bosch and Rene Ballard. It’s called The Night Fire and I jumped in pretty quick, as is typical with his stories. When Bill texted, I went down and unlocked the door before returning to our room. I was up on the bed when he came in so I told him about my day. I felt tired out but I really had no excuse. The snow had started lightly but we weren’t expecting much overnight.

Frozen Saugeen? At least, it's snow covered


They timed arriving at Independent in Port Elgin right
Wes and Susan walked right in but soon after
I saw Security and new arrivals had to line up

Another section of the river, still flowing

For supper, I fried up two hamburger patties with mushrooms and in another pan, fried up the leftover stuffing, noodles and mushrooms. We only had one hamburger bun and I was happy to eat the leftovers while he had the hamburger. It was filling and although I probably didn’t need it all, I ate the whole thing! 😊 It tasted pretty good and these patties are very tasty, even by themselves. We did the dishes and received a couple of phone calls while in ‘our’ kitchen. Marilynne called on Bill's phone just to check in on us.

At the same time, Mitch called me on my phone and asked if I could come back to work on a Dodge Ram pick up tomorrow for a few hours. It sounds like a quick turnaround job, requiring some sanding to some areas to ready it for painting. I’m game, so will clean the Mat first and then swing out to his place. It’s nice to know that he still needs me for the odd job and it gives me the opportunity to see what the laneway is like at the Ridge. Plus it's a little more cash in my pocket.

Supper was good
No dessert necessary

I watched Jeopardy with Wes and Susan and returned to our room for the evening. This was a good day with some variety and we’re already looking at another end of the week! It is crazy good how time is flying by.

Feb. 18, 2017
Skies over Borrego Springs, CA


A vision we miss more than you know
He was waiting for Daddy to come inside
good night!


Thank you for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. If you have not read Louise Penny before, you are in for a treat! I would suggest you start at the beginning of the series and move forward. She develops the characters further with each book. They are all page turners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BenHermit, I have read only one Louise Penny and remember that I enjoyed it. thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I tried lightening my hair a couple of weeks ago using some Lemons I had. Didn't do a thing. Maybe you'll have better luck. Enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember doing that as a teenager. :) right now, I'm trying to get the dye out of my hair and it seems to be working. I used to wear a hat in the past to do the exact opposite!! haha

      Delete
  3. Hahaha lemons work good if you can sit in the sun for a few hours!! I'm writing down the names of the books so I can start a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're hopefully getting warm weather this weekend with temperature at or above freezing. But we didn't reach our forecasted high yesterday so I'm not holding my breath.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can still hope, we had a gorgeous sunny day throughout part of Friday and now Saturday looks bright!

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how you are getting warmer temperatures then we are.
    Looks like you had an Enjoyable Day while out walking in different stores.
    Supper looks inviting.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about time we got warmer temperatures than your area! :)
      Especially along the lake, we were all very surprised. (and pleased)

      Delete
  6. Looking at the sign from Port Elgin surrounded by snow piles it is difficult to imagine the place in the summertime with mingling tourists enjoying the beach and lake. Those pictures from memory lane with Clemson must really pull at your heartstrings. He was such a sweet little guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Port Elgin is a bustling place in the summer, although we're never here. :)

      Delete
  7. How nice that you got a bit of a change. We have warmed up here as well and it is supposed to get warmer yet. Something I am really looking forward to.

    Your supper looks tasty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice when someone else drives. You get to look around so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's absolutely true although I missed some things with my camera, being in the back seat.

      Delete