Thursday, September 21, 2023

More Crawling and Cutting, More Warm Weather Too!

The Ridge

On Thursday, Sept. 21st (wha??, that means tomorrow is Friday ALREADY!) Bill was up early but really could have grabbed another 45 minutes sleep. Billy was picking him up at the gate for what, hopefully, would be their last trip to Orillia to finish the decking. They don’t mind the work, it’s just the 2+ hour drive each way. Gibbs and I were up early too, around 6:30 and while Bill was still here, he finished his to-go coffee and I finished my tea. Perfect, so the two of us walked Daddy down to meet Billy.

Have a good day, Daddy!

We carried on after they drove off and walked in the opposite direction. Ivy, the teen from the corner house with the big dogs, was out waiting for the bus so, of course, Mr. Leroy Jethro had to pull me like gangbusters over to say hi. He was a bit timid approaching her as the two big dogs were in the house loudy barking their large heads off! I would be nervous too if I were his size. 😊 After leaving Ivy, we walked to the church and turned back for home.

Still waiting for the sun to make its
appearance.

It was a beautiful morning, such a change from yesterday’s frosty one. It was at least 11C/52F and even though the sun was slow in rising (behind the few clouds), we could feel the warmth. I overdressed for our walk so it didn’t take long to get the extra layer off when we returned. It was about 9 when I got the vacuum out and did our few floors. I love how long it takes to clean in here!

Still more beautiful sky pictures.
My favourite North Line tree is looking
larger in its reddish glory.
It almost looks Tyrannosauras-Rex ish. 

Then, Gibbs and I went out to do some yard work. The berm garden had 6 hostas and tiger lilies to be cut back and I worked at that, moving apples out of my way as I went. I’ll pick them up later and toss them over the fence. Gibbs sat on the picnic table and kept guard over the property and on Mom.

On the left, King of the castle
On the right, ElScott, now visible.
I wonder how Ellen and Scott are doing?

I was shocked to see that I had one Rose of Sharon flower on ‘the plant that never blooms’. It wasn’t very big but at least it is still alive. That’s because I threatened to dig it out last fall! 😊 I finished up there and dumped the wagon. There are still bulbs to dig up once things stop blooming – no rush! I came in at 11 and made my coffee and stayed with Gibbs indoors.

Top photo, my Rose of Sharon bloom
Bill says there is another one yet to come. ♥
Bottom photo, the prettiest Dahlia colour.



I finished the last 3 chapters of my book and although it was mostly a fun read, I was disappointed in a lot of it. No recommendations from me unless you’d like a review of political history. I just like basics when reading a fictional story, I’m not in it to learn ‘stuff’. Then, I decided to follow Bill’s recipe for peanut butter cookies, he saved the label off the jar, but by substituting sweetener for sugar.

No matter how many times I tried, 
I could not get her body in focus.
Love the little heart shaped spots.

They never quite turn out the same but they are always tasty. Before baking them, I had a ham salad sandwich and left Gibbs in the house while I went back to work outside. We were unplugged from power so was debating if I had to plug in to bake. While thinking about that, I took the wagon down to the gate and cut/ pulled the tiger lilies at the same time I weeded. It looks so much better once they are trimmed back for winter.

Up on the hill at the southwest corner,
I love this view.
We need to win some big money to buy and build!

In 1 ½ hours I was hot, red in the face hot, and feeling completely done in. When my body speaks to me like that, I listen. Crawling around on my hands and knees, reaching and pulling isn’t as easy as it used to be! I came inside and showered. It felt wonderful as I switched between hot and cool water. 😊 Then, I began baking and noticed that our solar panels were keeping the inverter in a safe zone and things baked up pretty good. They are still different, more crumbly. I forgot a picture.

We've NEVER had so many apples all
over the Ridge before.
These will be cleaned up before we leave.
My cuttings from down at the gate.

Bill was home at a good time, around 3:30, and with tomorrow off, he can relax now for the weekend. We’ve received word that BB has all but 2 parts for her repair so we’re leaving her at the shop instead of picking her up tomorrow as originally thought. Tomorrow, I do my quick jobs and we’ll drive to pick up our rental vehicle in Owen Sound. Sounds like we may not need it too long but I don’t want to jinx anything. We’ll go with the flow.

Top picture: Much better now.
Bottom picture: Stay tuned for a transformation
here - soon.

Supper was grilled sausages on buns with the leftover mac & cheese. I was stuffed after eating my portion! At least we started earlier tonight so Bill was able to go to the Hangar before 6:30 tonight. The forecast said possible rain showers at 6 but that didn’t happen and the sky is mostly clear with some low-lying clouds. I brought our Mexican blankets in off the line anyway, they just needed a ‘fluffing’ today.

A lot of things got taken care of today.
The bird feeders are all full again and
slowly the Jays, Cardinals and Chickadees/Wrens
are returning.

What a great day but I still can’t believe we’re at the end of a week again, already. Time flies when you’re having fun. We reached a lovely 21C/71F this afternoon and only dropping to 13C/56F overnight. Perfect!

Supper was good and very filling!
No dessert required.
Good night!

Thank you for the visit. Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Buying land? What?… we gotta talk girlfriend 😊😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything seems to stay green and beautiful up there!! I do love all your bird feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy spring yard work, but in the fall it seems so sad to be putting things to bed for the winter season. You certainly accomplished a lot!
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but we have mixed feelings about the clean up. 😉

      Delete
  4. Wow, you got lots of cleaning up completed!!! If I get down on my hands and knees I need a plan to get back up.

    What a view!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I good-naturedly chuckled at your comment about a plan to get back up. I'll get there soon, I'm sure.

      Delete