Sunday, September 3, 2023

Wow! That Was a Different Experience!

The Ridge

So, on Sunday, Sept. 3rd of the Labour Day weekend here in Ontario, Bill was determined to go to the flying field. It was a much nicer looking start to the day with clear sky. It was still windy, so whether or not he’d (they’d) get any flying in was yet to be seen. As I’ve mentioned before, the social time is a big deal for them all. 😊

Gibbs and I walked towards the west
See the moon and the tips of a tree
changing colour?

I was up around 7 and Gibbs and I watched him go down to the Hangar and hook Black Beauty up to his cargo trailer. I think he was on his way at 7:30. I had an idle morning and although I wasn’t really ‘worried’ (I’m a Warrior, Not a Worrier is one of my mantras), I was anxious about my new part time job starting today. I had my cup of tea and then my pooch and I walked down to the corner. He would have gone further but I just wanted to focus on the job ahead.

Walking back to the east,
my favourite tree allowing
some sunshine through

I had some oatmeal and cream and then loaded a few things into Ptooties’ hatch that I thought I might need. I couldn’t recall what items Robin had at the Williamsford house for cleaning. We have a muggy day on the horizon so before I left, but after giving Gibbs his ‘look after the house’ treat, I checked out Gayle’s rv. It was comfortable in there but I opened a couple more windows for them. They still have the fridge running and the hotter it is inside, the more it runs.

Another moon flower to greet me this morning.


Then, at 10:15, I drove to Robin’s home just down the road. I needed to let myself in and retrieve her upright vacuum cleaner from her broom closet and the basket with a set of sheets, pillows and new comforter from the foyer. At least I remembered how to unlock and open the door code! 😊 The drive from her place, through Durham, and to their Air bnb is about 30 minutes, so I had about 10 minutes to spare.

Last night’s guests seemed to have vacated as I drove by but I didn’t want to stop before 11, their departure time. When I did pull into the lane, I knew no one was inside. It was left in good condition, as it should be. 

Let's take a tour
Lower level bedroom and only bathroom

I believe in ‘leave it as you found it’ and they pretty much did that. Robin asked that I dust, vacuum, replace sheets, towels and the comforter from one bed and do up any dishes they left. I had to dispose of the garbage they had bagged in the kitchen.

Main level
Kitchen and living room
Zoom in to see the table and the 'coffee' table.
Very unique and old pieces for decor.

As it turned out, the couple (two people) found that they needed to dirty both queen beds. ??? That left a question in my head – why? It just meant more time was needed to launder 4 sheets, 4 pillow covers 2 large towels, 1 small towel plus a large comforter instead. With one washer and dryer, I’m spoiled by the Mat – being surrounded by them – it took forever. Good thing, I stripped the beds first.

I couldn't figure out the tv channels
but I did find 70's videos! Yay!
Janice singing Cry Baby

I needed to remake both beds but had to wait for one set of sheets plus the 2 heavy towels to dry for tonight’s 4 guests. I’m not complaining, not at all, and Robin said that I might have to do a wash while there. She told me to watch tv and wait for it. Hey! It’s her dime, isn’t it? 😊

Finally, with everything cleaned, a final walk through, while waiting for the towels to dry, I walked around outside and brushed off the patio cushions. The comforter wasn’t going to be dry for another 40 minutes so I brought it home. It is too bad the guests from last night didn’t leave a comment in Robin’s guest book. This being her first attempt at this ‘business’ I’m sure she’d like to hear a review. Hopefully, they will review her on line.

After the sheets finally dried, this upstairs
bed was made
The original wood floors are beautiful.
This home was built in 1888.

Back home, Bill had returned from the flying field (at 12:20) and Gayle and John had arrived to take their small utility trailer home to White Church. It has all their patio furniture, plants and odds and sods. Bill had helped John to load everything in the trailer and the back of John’s truck and they were almost ready to leave when I arrived. A brief chit chat about their not surprising challenges with the new place; it is quite a bit smaller than where they’ve left.

Donna had popped over while I was gone and picked a bag of apples from our over loaded tree at the lane’s end for apple sauce and between jobs in the morning, I hope to do the same. I’m not as tall as she is but I’m sure I’ll be able to reach a lot and sort through the ones on the ground. There are plenty left! No one up here saw her, she’s like a little thief in the night except that they’re really her apples!

My sister, Audrey, in Montreal caught a 9-hour flight this afternoon to Hungary to visit her daughter and hubby for a month so there are a lot of things going on everywhere! Bill went to the Hangar after I had a slap happy lunch at 2:30 and then crashed, literally, in my chair. I don’t usually sleep like that but I was drained! I guess I’m not used to that big of a cleaning job. It was 3 ½ hours from the time I left home and returned.

Gibbs waits for Daddy to come
up for supper.

For supper, fish and chips. I might just have sprouts with mine. Gibbs has been in and out with everyone, enjoying the freedom of his day. Bless his little heart. He’s a good little boy. I hope you don’t mind my writing about the bnb in such detail, I want to remember my first day. 😊 I spoke to Robin in a text and she is quite pleased but also puzzled about the 2-bed usage. Ha ha.

Supper was another tasty one. 

After supper, I plan on just chillin' and will watch some tv. I have a few recommended shows to watch and I’m looking forward to that. Update: Bill did fly this morning and enjoyed his time with the guys. We reached a high of 26C/79F dropping to 18C/65F so a warm night for sleep. The next few days will be in the 30’s/mid 80’s feeling much hotter with the humidity. Oh well, it won’t last long and then we’ll be wishing for it! This has been a good day with a whole new experience.

A flashback to a collage from 2018
Gotta love the wildflowers!
Good night!

Thank you for stopping around!

14 comments:

  1. Good photos today! A bit of labor on the rental; but maybe they were a "couple of friends." Not a "couple." I guess we'll never know. You may find some interesting things on your clean ups in the future....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JudithK. It was indeed labour intensive for my first day. i wanted to be sure it was spotless! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice AirBnB ! Maybe one of the couple snored :))
    Your a busy gal with 3 part time jobs !
    Good for you. (Love brussel sprouts too)
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most couples I know do not sleep in the same bed. I see Mr. Watch Pup is on duty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? That's just weird but I guess there are plenty of reasons. :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with the other's comments - could be any number of reasons why they used two beds. Though it would have been nice had you known that was the case beforehand.
    We're cooling down today (18C and possible rain). It has been hot all weekend and the smoke has been dreadful so I'm looking forward to the next few days. Enjoy the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will never know about the bed situation. TMI perhaps! haha
      We'll get the cooler temps near the end of our week, i think. I'm sure it would be much worse with the smoke you have. :(

      Delete
  5. A lot of couples we know sleep separately for one reason or another. Not happening here. LOL. It is a beautiful home :) I'm sure she will do well with this venture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of folks would complain if they had three jobs, you instead express gratitude about whatever is helpful to you,Patsy your blog is a pleasure to read,may you be blessed with being appreciated.
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Mary. I like to feel I'm contributing to our winter travels but at the same time I admit to being very choosey about what I will do for a job. Your comment is very sweet.

      Delete
  7. The air bnb is charming. You shouldn't have to wash the comforter after each guest...just the sheets and pillow cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Unless, of course, it's obvious it needs it. I worked at a B&B for years.

      Delete