Thursday, September 14, 2023

A Working Day Before the Weekend, Lost Parcel

The Ridge

On Thursday, Sept. 14th Bill was up in the dark, and it was still dark at 6:30 when he left for work in Ptooties. I had Black Beauty today for my chores. 😊 She was safe to drive but we didn’t want to take her for long distances. The coolant fluid seems to be leaking (seeping?) out so until we hear she can go in to the shop, we’ll just take it easy.  

Finally, on the return from our walk, Gibbs
noticed the cows in the pasture.

I waited until closer to 7 before I drove into Durham to clean. Now, I’m even more nervous driving Baptist Church Road through the bush area near Turbine Lane. I’m always watchful for deer but I feel just a bit more on edge now. The mat had 2 customers but no issues so we all went about our business after friendly greetings. I washed the collection of cleaning rags that I’ve been using for the last few weeks and brought them home to dry on the line.

Well, that will never do so
he barked to show them who's boss.
Some ran, some just stared. 
He's so tough. 

The sun was out and the sky was clear blue this morning so once noon hour arrived, the day had warmed up nicely. I think we reached 16C/62F by mid-day so a pleasant September day for sure. At a few minutes before 10, I drove BB over to M’s and we made a fairly quick run into town. We made 6 stops in record time!

Now, the Sedum are worth showing off!

Durham is always crazy busy on Thursday’s and over the weekend. The grocery and hardware stores have their weekly specials starting today so everyone is out there cashing in. 😊 Back at the shop, I hand and power sanded the little red Datsun. This is the 2nd to last vehicle left on M’s property, we’ve done well and I take some credit for pushing him to get them done. The BMW needs welding so my part is done for now. I didn't get a picture of the Datsun but I was sure covered in red paint at the end of my shift. 

My boys having their afternoon snooze
Gibbs is happy, all is well when we're both home.

I was on my way home 3 hours later and had a toasted rye ham sandwich for lunch. Bill thought he’d be home early but that wasn’t the case. No worries, he has had short days this week so is welcoming the extra hours. No new news on Black Beauty, the waiting game continues. Gibbs and I went for a walk down the lane and then to the corner. It was quite warm around 2. Inside again, I got the yarn barrel out and crocheted. The toque is coming along!

Bill brought these chairs home for me.
I love love love them!!

Bill was home by 4 and brought me my ‘early’ birthday present. I am so thrilled with these chairs, something one of their clients was getting rid of. They are very old, very solid (aka heavy) and very comfortable – despite being low to the ground. 

They have solid brass hardware, recline and are
extremely heavy.
We think they maybe came from an old cruise ship,
something like that where they wouldn't need to be moved around. 
Best present!

They even recline and have brass fittings. A sanding project for next summer. I love them!! We had sausages on buns for supper and dessert.

Supper was easy and tasty.
We decided on separate desserts.
Bill had a warmed cinnamon bun and
I had apple sauce and whipped cream. 
Yum!

I almost forgot to mention that my 'lost' parcel was delivered to our stoop today at noon while I was at work. Phew! 

This has been a good day! Thank you for stopping by!

PS – a recipe for the Keto No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake if you are interested.


Enjoy, we sure do!



10 comments:

  1. Now all you need is some cushions for those lounges! Are you going to refinish them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have temporary cushions for now and yes. I'll refinish them next spring/ summer.

      Delete
  2. Those are some awesome lounge chairs!! What a find! Gibbs the family guardian! He sure guards his "pack" well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know the history of these chairs.
      Gibbs takes his job very seriously.

      Delete
  3. I love the sedum, so pretty!
    A good sanding, and a stain will have those chairs shining in no time. I agree, some cushions would be nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting more fall like here. Trees are changing colour, clothes take longer to dry on the lines, and the garden is a bit overwhelming right now.

    Sand and stain those loungers and they will be perfect with some lovely cushions (check garage sales now as people are getting rid of theirs).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure feels like fall here too. The days are shrinking.
      I will keep my eyes open for the right size cushions.

      Delete