Friday, September 1, 2023

A Day in the Life – of Riley?

The Ridge

On Friday, Sept. 1st, we began a new month but ended a busy week. Busy for a lot of folk, not necessarily for me although I wasn’t completely idle. 😊 Bill was up and out the door at 6:35 after we came down to say goodbye. Billy, Mike and Maverick picked him up at the end of the lane for their last day (fingers crossed) at the Barrie cottage. He’ll be back later, no sleepovers this trip.

Walking north past the church

Gibbs and I went for a walk down to the church, after I had my cup of tea. Tea gets me going in the morning but I also remember wanting to go for my walk ‘before’ having it. I guess I’m not quite so ambitious these days. I dressed in work attire and drove over to M’s for 10. We took a pre-long-weekend trip into town first, so he is well equipped until Tuesday, and then returned to the shop.

For the last hour and a half, I sanded more on the 1929 Ford. It sits outside so just bits of rust turn up here and there. He needs an extra bay to keep it in but until we know for sure what the owner (Wes, who is still in a coma) wants to do with it, M can’t take up one of his 2 bays for it to just sit there. It was 1 o’clock when I returned home to the Suite, dirty and hot. Before anything else, I hopped in a semi-cool shower.


My lunch was more of the same from yesterday, sauteed tomatoes, black olives, peppers, zucchini and onions on rye toast. Oh my, I’m lovin’ that! I’ve begun to have a small glass of milk with my lunch lately since I ran out of Calcium pills. Now that I’ve restocked, I realize that I enjoy the milk, I used to drink it all the time in my younger years. I cleaned up, unloading the dishwasher, and adding my dishes to it and then Gibbs and I went outside.

Today, is a beautiful day! With a high of 23C/73F, the lowest we’ll see in a number of days, the clear blue sky and light breeze makes it pretty much perfect. Gibbs had another episode with Chippy under the Suite again but this time, the little beggar ran into the tire covers. Gibbs would not give up until he saw him come out so I went to shoo him out. Turns out this is a wee one, just young, I think. Gibbs chased him and since it was slower than most, caught him in his mouth.

We all make concessions for those we love.
When I'm deep into my book, the pleading look in these
sweet eyes was enough to put the book down and
do as bidded (is that a word?)
I rubbed his belly. 

I commanded him to ‘drop it’, which he did, but I think the poor thing was panic-stricken and although he could still walk and run easily, didn’t know where to go. I tried to coax him out so I could get him to a safe place (away from Monster L J Gibbs) but had no success. I hope he leaves on his own so our protector doesn’t keep chasing him around under there. We came inside after 3:30 and since my book has me so enthralled, I continued reading it inside.

I’ve received a call from Robin, the air bnb/yard sale lady, and she’d like me to clean the air bnb Sunday afternoon. She’s had 2 interested clients already and is quite excited. They are on their way to Saskatchewan for the last time (she thinks) so is unable to clean it and remove used linens etc. herself. I don’t mind at all, it is good to get in there while the ‘chore tips’ are fresh in my mind. 😊 So, 3 part time jobs it is!

Sometimes this is okay, but I can't really
call it a burger without the soft D'Italiano bun.

Bill was home around 6:30 and even though I offered, he still barbecued our bacon cheeseburgers. Mine was in a tortilla wrap and although I really enjoyed the last one like that, tonight’s was just passable. I’ll have a bun next time. We finished the meal with ice cream. My longing for a cone has come to fruition while Bill had his in a dish with caramel sauce. He went to the Hangar after loading the dishes and Gibbs and I stayed inside. I may finish my book or watch tv, undecided.

Yum, a Chapman's Premium Caramel cone.

The sun is close to setting at 7:33 and it is a peaceful night. It was a great day! Happy September!

A drone shot from above in 2017.

A long ago memory of when Brenda and Randy
came to stay at the Ridge for a couple of nights.
This picture is dinner out at Kettle's.
A bit blurry, sadly.
Good night!

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are always appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds as you two are keeping busy making big bucks. Nice here today but getting towards the 90s this weekend. Like the new header picture. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just teasing me with that ice cream!!!! Poor little squirrel ... I hope he's okay. I'm lucky Cooper has ever wanted to chase anything ... even the skunks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am teasing, I know you love ice cream!
      Chippy is fine, was back running and taunting Gibbs at supper when Bill was barbecuing.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Gibbs didn't harm the little chipmunk. The wee one probably was in shock, and hopefully has learned its lesson.
    You two certainly like to keep busy! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, I felt bad since Gibbs didn't know what to do with it once he caught it. Glad I was there to witness it and make him drop the poor little critter!
      Thanks you too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the memories Pat. Time certainly flies by doesn’t it?
    Is Wes the fellow that you & Bill stayed with over the winter a few years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yes, Wes was our host in Paisley. He has been in the coma for at least 2 months now. :(

      Delete