Monday, September 11, 2023

Oh Deer!! Kerplunk! Birthday Wishes

The Ridge

On Monday, Sept. 11th Bill was up at 5:30 and came up to say goodbye at 6:30. I didn’t get up as I didn’t think he had as far to go………anyway, Gibbs and I stayed in bed. No work for me today. 😊 When the little bum crawled up right next to me, I rubbed his belly and he fell asleep facing me, head on my pillow. Aaah, I don’t get that too often so enjoyed it until 7:30.

Not exactly a clear sunny sky, eh?
Notice how the colours are changing in the lane.

When I got up and made my tea, I pulled containers out of the back of the fridge that needed to be emptied and discarded. That’s when I remembered that it is garbage day. I took the bag and recycle bin down in the car in lots of time and then let Gibbs out for a ‘poop’ run. Sorry, that’s what it was! He was back in the house pronto. Tasted a few kibbles of his breakfast and walked away. Little bum, eats when he wants to, still.

He loves the long grass
in amongst the asters.

Then, I called my son. It is Patrick's birthday today and I didn't want to forget to get in touch with him. I know there are terrible memories out there, and we are all grieving for those with magnificent losses after 9/11 but it is important that Patrick gets to celebrate his day too. 💖

This is an older picture of my son
when he was younger, but I love it. 
Happy Birthday, Patrick.

The rest of the day was as lazy as lazy could be. I finally opened the first pages of my next book and I know it will be fun! I think I told you the title, ‘The 100-year old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared’ by Jonas Jonasson. I only read a few pages though and decided it was time for our walk. We walked almost to the corner and when the big dogs barked, Gibbs turned and headed for home. 😊 Scary sounding dogs.

It is rare to see both
Ma and Pa Cardinal
together!
Today, I got lucky.

I wanted to do something but nothing too strenuous (lazy!!) so got out the yarn and wound a couple more henks into balls. Then………I began from a magic circle and followed a pattern for one thing that ended up being something else. It’s a toque and I’ve never made one before so it’s a big deal for me. I can wear it just to keep my head warm on those cool mornings and evenings in Arizona. Yes, in November, December and maybe January, it can get cool.

I'm pleased and you know I'll make more
just because I can!

Bill called at 3:30, on his way to Mike’s with the work trailer, to inform me that he’d been in an accident. Words that a wife, Mom, daughter etc. NEVER wants to hear. I’m writing about it so you know it wasn’t tragic. However, a deer ran across the highway, mid-afternoon, in front of him. Bill swerved across the line to the other side of the road to avoid hitting him and hit a street sign and drove right down into the ditch.

It is a deep enough ditch, they are very lucky
not to have rolled.
Does the deer know how lucky it is?

Black Beauty and cargo trailer ended up as if he did it intentionally. They didn’t flip roll or do the hokey pokey. I’m trying to make light of it but it was, no doubt, scary as ‘he**’. Thank the good Lord for watching over them. No traffic was coming from the other direction and all 8 wheels ended up where they should. Bill was very shook up and I’m sure Billy was as well but both were completely fine. The air bags did not go off but BB is damaged in the front bumper. She also lost the fuel pump from going over the embankment and therefore would not start.

You can see the cargo trailer but just the roof of Black Beauty
as she sits there. 

With CAA, the police and insurance company called, they just waited. Oh, and Mike was called as well and came to wait with them. Both vehicles were pulled out and unhooked and BB was towed to the nearest Ford dealership to get the fuel pump assembly looked after. Poor girl, she’s had a rough year! So has Bill. Mike brought Bill home so it saved me a trip to get him in Walkerton or wherever.


Mike was across the highway, staying out of the way,
but there for support.
This is the tow truck that was required to pull them out.

I’m, (we’re) so grateful that things were no worse. If he’d hit the deer, perhaps it would have been a better outcome? Perhaps not. We had leftover meatloaf, fried potatoes and vegetable for supper. Neither of us felt like dessert, things like this can upset an appetite, can’t it? Anyway, with the dishes done and Bill’s lunch made for tomorrow, Bill was much calmer.

Hibiscus #11

I texted M that I would not have a vehicle for his town run in the morning and I’ll have to go clean after Bill gets home, he needs Ptooties. We have a rental lined up but for now, we’ll play it by ear to see just how things stand with BB’s repair. No point in getting it too soon, the rental, I mean. If things happen in 3’s, Bill should be off the hook now, it just hasn’t been the best year! Bill went to the Hangar for a bit and I finished my blog.

When I walked down to get the recycle bin
and mail, Gibbs had no interest in joining me.
Strange little guy. He never moved.

Mike got a few pictures, so thank you, Mike, but I didn’t have the heart to ask Bill to do it. It has been a mild day, with windows open in the Suite for the afternoon but we didn’t see too much sun after 12 noon. I dismantled the hammock so it can be put in the shed on the weekend, as we wouldn’t be using it anymore. This hasn’t been the best day but we’re doing okay after what had to be a harrowing experience. And deer season hasn’t started yet.

This is how I'm feeling today for I know how
much worse it could have been.
Good night

Thank you for stopping by.

26 comments:

  1. Thank the good Lord everyone was safe and BB wasn’t damaged too much. Poor baby has been through the wringer this year. Bill too for that matter. So glad everyone was ok, including the deer. Good driving Bill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no. What a year is sure right.
    Glad to hear everyone is fine.
    Yes, we have gone ditch driving too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone was looking over him for sure! Poor Bill.....it would have been scary for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m thankful for no injuries and hopefully BB can be fixed!
    It is a scary accident as hitting the deer could have brought him thru
    the windshield. Thank the good Lord for His protection🙌
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - So lucky he missed the deer. Yes, too much for one year. Hope you get BB back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Toque. Make one for me and I'll be your first paying customer.

    Glad Bill and Mike and the deer are fine. I know they say not to swerve, but it is hard not too. BB can be fixed. I'm sure they were all shook up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doug. The toque was a fluke (haha) but it turned out fine.
      Bulk and the boys were being watched over, for sure. TG.

      Delete
  7. I like your touqe too Patsy.
    So glad to hear that Bill and Mike are okay. It will take a little time to get over that frightening experience. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill sure knows how to swerve all right. He scared the heck out of us on our demo when we bought the Lance. Haha. He was showing us how well it handled and did the swerve with no pre warning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the boys are ok! Happy Birthday Patrick! Love the toque too, those colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about Bill's accident. That could have happened to any of us and who knows how we would have fared. Although there is damage, he did good in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing to stay upright and air bags weren't deployed. But it is very stressful. Thank God everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every Tues. I get blood drawn for low platelets then I get a shot! I see many women who've lost their hair and wear scarves,beenies (black or gray) and your toque would be a GREAT OPTION for them and such pretty colors! Could be a nice side hussle for you! $$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I think i world donate to that cause rather than charge. Haha, plus they are never perfect!

      Delete
  13. Thank goodness that Bill was able to steer the truck and trailer safely into the ditch. I suspect if he had hit the deer, the damage to the front end of the truck would have been much worse. I'm glad he and his passenger are okay.

    Such a cute photo of Gibbs waiting on the step for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gnash you Maebeme. It could have been much worse indeed. He is blessed.

      Delete