Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Forecast Changes, Clean Clothes Again, Company for a Campfire

The Ridge

On Saturday, Sept. 2nd the sky was not clear as was predicted by the knowledgeable forecasters (surprise, surprise!) instead, it was covered in gray clouds. Bill was up at 6:30, took Gibbs out and quickly decided that he would not be flying this morning. It appeared as if it could rain and the winds were around 12-15 mph. However, I still had a job to do so was up around 7 and with sorted laundry, on my way to Durham by 7:30.

Friday's night fall

A clearer sky when
I returned home around 10
(we still love our gate)

Whatever these clouds are, they
sure make a pretty picture. ♥

It was quiet so I set about loading 2 machines and then emptying the Lost & Found box. Which was full. Again. Tossing lonely single socks and washing everything else, I carried on with the usual routine. There were two machines needed testing and on of the dryer lint trays has not been closing for a few weeks so I spent 15 minutes trying to fix that problem. I succeeded but it takes some elbow grease to get it in the correct position. LOL

Taking a step back, I meant to include this picture
of 'Tommy', the Ford we're working on for Wes.
One side sanded and primed - again.

A couple of ladies came in, no men today! And one older lady stayed and chatted with me while I cleaned. She is a retired police officer from Oakville (near Toronto) and we had a great old time conversing. 😊 With the Mat cleaned, my August pay collected and a basket full of damp clothes, I said goodbye to ‘Ellen’. 

Remember the concessions I mentioned that we make?
Bill is so used to Gibbs sitting on his shoulder, that
he was asleep in mere minutes. 💘

And later, bringing the laundry in, Gibbs
keeps watch across the field behind us.

Finished that, I drove to the Water Store, filled a bottle and stopped to drop off the bag of donations at Rethreads. Duty done. 😊 Back home, Bill was cutting grass and I set about hanging the clothes. By now, the sun had come out pretty strongly but, alas, it wasn’t to last. We had bacon and eggs for lunch and Bill dozed while I cleaned things up in the kitchen. 

The one gate needed a bit of adjusting so
Bill worked on that too by moving the hinges 

The sky once again toyed with the clouds and the air dropped a few degrees. I’m surprised that we even reached our 21C/71F today with the wind. Bill went down the lane to pick up large rocks to fill the holes at the gate area. It needs to be tidied up.

Just relaxing outside

Enjoying my view

Hibiscus bloom #2 with more
in the wings.

The Durham Fair is on this Labour Day weekend but I saw no evidence of it when I was in town. Mind you, I don’t drive near the fairgrounds either. Fairs, these days, are not my thing. Robin and I have set up a plan for my cleaning tomorrow and Monday and have decided on a rate of pay. We both seem happy with the outcome of that. She’s hoping for more bookings to keep coming in and I hope so too, I wish her nothing but success.

A tasty summery supper

For supper, Bill grilled sausages for supper and I fried leftover potatoes inside. I had, what else? Brussel sprouts and he had corn for a veggie. We’ve decided to host a fire tonight and at 4:45 the clouds vacated the sky completely! The wind should die down, as per usual, and it isn’t cooling off to less than 15C/59F overnight which hopefully makes for a nice evening.


I love this picture of Bill and Mike
They both look very relaxed.
They work together and have a good relationship.

There were 7 of us sitting around Bill’s fire, 8 including Gibbs. He doesn’t sit as much as wander until it gets dark and then he sticks closer to us. No ball throwing after darkness descends. This has been a good day. Supper was quite tasty, I sliced into a home grown tomato to add to my plate. Yummy. Donna, Gerry, Mike, Joanne, my niece, and Ted joined us around 7:15 and it was a pleasant visit, no skitters and not too chilly at all! The winds did not let up, however, so us gals had our necks covered. I hope your September is starting out well too!

A bit of pink sky

Gibbs finally settles down in the
warm glow of the fire light.

I'm not good at moon pictures, as you know,
but this was pretty the way it turned out.











A commenter asked about my toasted Western ingredients and all I basically add is eggs, cut up bacon, onions, green peppers, shredded cheese and sometimes mushrooms. It looks like an omelette but we eat it most often in a toasted sandwich. I’ll add black olives, tomatoes and sometimes zucchini to mine but Bill isn’t keen on those things. 😊

Everyone left around 10:30
and our fire was still blazing - safely contained.
good night!

Thank you for the visit!

 

12 comments:

  1. I too LOVE your gate!!! And that car ... oh to drive it down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see Tommy painted, but I'm not sure what the family will do yet.

      Delete
  2. A productive and good day was had by all. I'm sure the fire in the evening was a nice way to wind down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Western sandwich is WONDERFUL ! Made it last night for dinner-on toast! Thx again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! We love it too for a fast dinner.

      Delete
  4. Right after I read your blog I watched a couple of videos. One was a western omelet very very similar to yours. Instead of toast he used rolls and made sliders. Looked so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good looking gate. I make my western aka Denver sandwiches much like you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill outdid himself on the gate for sure. :) Denver sandwiches, the name is more apt.

      Delete