Friday, September 8, 2023

Can you Call it Rain? Working for the Morning, Visitors for Tea

 

The Ridge

On Friday, Sept. 8th it was a cloudy, damp sky when we woke up. Bill got up at 6:30 although he wasn’t working today again but needed to take Black Beauty for an alignment at 8. I got up at 6:40 because I needed to clean the Mat and then report to M for a 3-hour shift. Better to get going early. We both left the Suite at the same time and Gibbs dutifully ate his breakfast and took his ‘look after the house’ treat.

To start the day, Hibiscus #9 & #10

It was just 7 am and I followed him to Durham where we parted ways. 😊 I love our ‘big a**’ truck, and yes, the view from behind does make her ‘butt’ look big! Ha ha! The Mat was empty but someone had a load of wash in one of the bigger machines on the north wall. When that ‘someone’ returned, I am sorry to say that I wish he hadn’t. A new customer to me and after saying good morning, he never shut up.

I like conversation but not the type that he so fervently spouted at me. He is big into research and politics and all the controversial ‘stuff’ going on around us and told me this a few times. Honest to goodness, he followed me around as I worked and went on. I was taught not to be rude to others so exactly how do I tell them in another way that I’d rather not hear it?

Perusing through my old pictures this afternoon,
I just HAD to share these few with my daughter.
Bridgette, you were such a sweet daughter to raise. 💗

This fellow needs to research on how to read people, the ones that are clearly closed off to his rant. LOL, finally, with 10 minutes left of my shift and his laundry completion, he changed the subject to something local. I was glad when he left, more than glad. Now my rant is over. 😊 (I drove home vowing to say something if it happens again. But what? Maybe, I’d just avoid going in until he was done!)

Three years ago, I made rhubarb tarts.
Today, would have been a great day for that!
If I only had enough rhubarb. 😞

The day was forecast to be a dull, damp one from beginning to end. They called it rain showers on the radio but this wasn’t even that. It was a heavy mist that would bounce in and out all morning and afternoon between a sunny sky and heavy clouds. The temperature also remained cool although it felt warmer first thing. We actually turned our fireplace on for the afternoon. I stopped at Robin’s to drop off her clean sheets and vacuum and collected my pay. 😊

I spent an hour with Gibbs and then drove over to M’s. A town run was first and then I swept and vacuumed out his old trailer for the next 2 hours. The cupboards and walls had Styrofoam and it had deteriorated so much that it was like opening a bag of those peanuts, but smaller. You know how much static that creates. I managed to get it done and admit that it is now ready for M to move things in there for storing. I know he was pleased with how it was left.

This should be posted in the Mat.

Bill and I had lunch together at 1:30 and then puttered. I went through our Memory Cupboard, sorting and reminiscing and he went to the Hangar until Gayle and John came to take more things from their Montana to their house. Before they left, we had tea and coffee together and caught up. Things are moving along for them, and they are slowly getting settled in, finding places for the items they are keeping. There are going to be a lot of donations!

Tasty!

For our sweet tooth tonight.

For supper, we had baked pork chops, potatoes, corn and broccoli and topped it off with some ice cream and raspberry sauce. Now, I’m full to the brim but it was delicious, a good hot meal on a cool day. The ice cream? Well, that was a lapse in judgement perhaps. 😊 Bill washed the pots, I dried and the dishwasher was set for everything else. The days are getting shorter and not only because of the clouds, we’ve noticed how dark it is by 8 o’clock. Too soon!

Sometimes an inspirational quote just
fits the bill.

This was a good day, as most are for us. I like the feeling I get after working my part time jobs. I feel like I’m contributing in a small way to our lifestyle and I get to choose what it is I want to do while making friends along the way. It was nice to see my sister and her hubby too. Gibbs and I sat and watched some tv after my blog was finished. I had to go fishing for some pictures today since I wasn’t outside enough to take many.

This was two years ago, looks like a prettier
day for sure!
Good night! (We might be running the heat pump tonight)

Thank you for the visit!


7 comments:

  1. I had a 5 1/2 hour listening marathon a few weeks ago......at my house.
    A waitress friend so she can't talk much when working......OH MY when after work....YIKES.
    Saw her today - might stop over tomorrow after work.......I said......I try to be a good listener but can't do the 5 1/2 hours again. We agreed on a 2 hour limit and we both get to talk !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yes, that is a lot of chatter (on her part!) I don't mind if it is a subject I'm interested in AND we both get to talk. That isn't always the case. :S

      Delete
  2. I suspect nothing you could say would likely get this guy to hush. Perhaps wearing a pair of ear buds so you appear to be listening to music - even if you aren't. (I might have smacked him with the broom when he got in the way too. :p)
    Glad your sister and husband are getting settled in. I'm slightly envious though I know I won't be saying that once this house sells and we're in the hurry up mode to get moved.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right - I laughed out loud at the broom comment!!
      Thank you on my sister's behalf. They are finally getting to relax a bit. You will feel harried a few days too but I hope it goes smooth when it eventually happens.

      Delete
  3. I find that people like that probably don't have anyone to talk to at all. Maybe they live alone ... so I try to listen (or pretend to listen). Hopefully you don't run into him often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that is the case. He lost his wife a few years ago and probably is lonely. However, he told me how he chats regularly with like-minded people. I will avoid him as much as I can!!

      Delete