Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Things Changed in a Heartbeat

The Ridge

On Thursday, June 19th we slept in – not getting up out of bed until 8. All of us and then, I was first. Bill and Gibbs had been out at 6:30 and both came back to bed. Yes, Bill didn’t go to work today. What I wrote in my blog yesterday was that we had a quiet evening inside the Suite. It didn’t turn out that way.

Good morning!
Okay, this was last night's sunset sky

We were driving so I had a few opportunities
of a good photograph

I was watching my program downstairs after posting and Bill was upstairs. He came down in such discomfort that at 9 pm, we ended up driving to the Hanover hospital, 20 minutes away. What you don’t know is that he has been having an issue with his right knee, since laying underlay and flooring at the house they’re working in.

Although sometimes, 'things' got in my way!

It was swollen before the weekend but being the stubborn man he is, good thing I love him so much, since he wasn’t in pain, he made it through the weekend and went to work again Monday and Tuesday. By Tuesday evening, after not sleeping well Monday night, he knew he had to give in and go to Emergency Services. Our hospital and emergency services in Durham are undergoing the same staff shortages that many others are so it was not an option, only open from 7 am to 5 pm.

After 3 hours in the cool waiting room,
we were directed in here for another hour where
the doctor visited us.This room was very cold for me.

We registered and proceeded to wait for 3 hours in the waiting room, listening to the 5 patients ahead of us about their 5 hour (!) wait. Okay, we were in for a long night. Long story short from there, at 1 am we saw the doc, the only doc on duty. Nice young man, no complaints there and he was relaxed, not rushed, as he told Bill it was looking like Bursitis.

Remember those detergent commercials?
"Can you see the difference?"
His leg was very warm to the touch
and quite firm.

He wrote us a prescription for an anti-inflammatory and we were home by 1:45. Bill’s pain had eased after getting a couple of x-strength Tylenol from the nurse upon arrival. That was last night and so Bill is taking, at least, the rest of the week off work to look after it. He has been icing it and raising it appropriately but now with the meds, he should be able to get it under control. Yes, he is stubborn in that he hates to give in – now tell me your partner is different?

Leaving Hanover, the construction pylons look
eerie - the blur helps with that!

So, this morning, I left for Durham at 8:20 and it was pleasant to arrive at a very cool air-conditioned Mat. I appreciated it as it was already 23C/78F. I had the intention of making a few stops but because I took Ptooties instead of Black Beauty, I’d forgotten to move some things over before I left.

But the moon looked awesome when we got home.

I popped into Foodland for a few more of those weekly sale items and then dropped his prescription off before heading for home. The remainder of the morning, for all of us, was holed up indoors in the cool of the Suite. We had French toast for lunch, mine open-faced, and then Bill and I drove back in for the water bottle fill, a drop off for Pat, fuel fill-up and the prescription pick up. Once home, we ‘chilled’ for the rest of the day.

This morning's sky was cloudy and it looks like
there is a small sun dog here too.

We reached another hot 32C/89F today with only a slight drop in our upcoming overnight temperature. We’ll turn the a/c off at bedtime and open windows again. Bill did sleep better last night, it was a long day for him for sure. 

My lunch was tasty, it's been a while since we've
had these.

There may be some rain showers a couple of times this evening so I shouldn’t have to water – but I’ll see later tonight. For supper, we had toasted bacon, cheese, tomato and lettuce sandwiches. Tsk on the bread but that gives me no guilt whatsoever. 😉

Supper was also tasty and almost
too much food for me.

This has been one of the laziest days for all of us but it was enjoyed, since we were all together. It does feel like a weekend day though with my sweetie home.

How is this guy? He's quite happy on the cool floor.
We were all in this position for a lot of the day but
Bill was on the bed and I was in my recliner. 😂
Good night!

Thank you for the visit!

22 comments:

  1. Geez. What a night you had. Rest up. You didn't even need to take the closer photo of Bill's knee. Very obvious at a distance that it is not a healthy knee. Glad he got some meds and is going to give it a rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JudithK. Me to, I'm glad he finally acted on it. He knew my thoughts!!

      Delete
  2. It's a good thing that Bill went in to be seen by a doctor,I am glad that he got some pain relief and will take time off.May God
    protect and bless you both Gibbs will be glad to have more time with Bill
    Mary and

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary.
      Yes, having both of us home is like Christmas for Gibbs. 🐶

      Delete
  3. OH ~ looks a little puffy :( Hope the meds help! Gibbs looks nice and cool on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure does. Puffy and heated.
      Gibbs knows how to cool down, eh?

      Delete
  4. Good Bill made the decision to go to ER and hope his medicine helps take the swelling down.
    You both work hard and good he is giving his knee time off and all three of you can be together especially since it is so hot outside.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what Bill was thinking because I did the same. We did that kind of thing for years and never had any problems, but we were a lot younger then. Now our bodies are not as resilient and take longer to heal. It was his shoulder last year, what's next. The money helps but is it worth it? Time to take care of yourself Bill, or you could end up like me.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your time together.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you would know, Rick. How long before you gave it up? Stubborn men!

      Delete
  6. Well THAT wasn't fun!! Hope his knee clears up soon. Smart to go to the Doc before it gets TOO bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, I'm glad Bill was able to be seen in a reasonable amount of time. Three-four hours would be a record for shortest visit ever to an ER here in the city. I do hope the medication helps with the inflammation and he's over the worst of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maebeme. You're right about the wait time here in a small area.

      Delete
  8. Oh my! Glad Bill received some strong anti inflammation medicine. Now, be sure he rests that knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have to sit on him, he'll rest it! Actually, maybe Gibbs can.

      Delete
  9. When Jerry had that problem with bone spurs pressing against the sciatic nerve he was prescribed anti inflammatory medication. That helped tremendously with the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. Bill has already noticed a huge difference in the pain and even the swelling is starting to go down.

      Delete
  10. Poor Bill, I can just imagine the pain he was in. I am so glad he is taking it easy for a bit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way Bill sounds more like me than Harvey. When I broke my wrist the nurses kept asking me my pain level.... I really felt no pain (could have been shock, but I doubt it) until finally I told them it was about a 6. Made them happy as they couldn't understand why I had no pain (I have a really high pain tolerance).

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jackie for the comment. Interesting about your pain tolerance and Bill's. I've never been tested too much so don't know how I'd be! What is it they say about a man when he's sick? NO ONE has EVER been that sick before! haha

      Delete
  11. I hope Bill is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete