Monday, October 22, 2018

New Morning Experience, Walkabout with my Sweetie, Cold Start, Last Family Dinner

I was awake with a tickle in my throat a couple of times through the night, once at 3 am and then again around 5. Luckily, I was able to clear it with a cough and dropped off to sleep again. When I woke again around 7, Bill was already downstairs. I must have really dropped off as I didn’t hear him leave the bed. That is what’s nice about a king bed, one movement doesn’t disturb your sleeping partner.

We have the large site on the corner
So, here it is Sunday, Oct. 21st and we have a new view out our windows. Beside us to the southwest is nothing, behind us is a country road and a residential home and to the northeast facing the clubhouse there are many vacant sites. It is peaceful. 

The view out our back window
Today, Bill said it was 34F when he got up and it had risen to a balmy 37F, where it remained for the rest of the day, by the time I got up at 7:30. We sat with our tea and coffee and when I lifted the night shades I could see gray heavy clouds overhead. Blech.
Looking up towards the clubhouse
Nice and peaceful here right now
We read our friend’s blogs and just enjoyed this non-hectic lifestyle. Bill’s list of things to do from the ‘Ridge closing’ was old news now and it would be good for him to really settle down. Into the garbage it went. 

Finished with the list, yay!
When Gerry and Melinda visited last night, they informed us that the park summer water supply was available to us until sometime on Monday. That’s good to know and we may top up a bit more before it is turned off. 

We walked up the hill past Ron and Loree's place before heading
back down the hill 
I wanted to get back into my walking routine, having slipped out of the norm for the last few days. When I indicated I was going, Bill suggested joining me so we bundled up around 9:30 and walked around the park together. My goal was to get a mile in and we did better than that, finishing at the clubhouse where Bill asked Kristi in the office for a Rock Glen decal. 

A very colourful decal
Not one for sticking stuff on our possessions, he’s finally come around to wanting to put meaningful decals on the back of the Suite. It says a little bit about us too. We briefly said hello to Melinda before heading back.

The overgrown lily pads have gone to seed
It was a bitter cold walk but only our noses and ears suffered. Next time, I’ll wear my buff to cover my ears or my winter toque. Bill hooked up to the water tap, since we had access and flushed out our black water tank using the park water. That is something we can’t do without hook ups. With a few gallons of fresh water added to our tank, we will be good for the rest of the week and until we arrive at our next destination. While that was happening, he set up the satellite dish and we had the signal connected really quickly.

I started breakfast and we were eating bacon and eggs by 10:30 or so. I feel much better this morning than I have the last couple of days and although I’ve sounded like someone else when I can speak, I’m very happy to have my full normal voice back again. Just to be on the safe side, because the bug is still in the air, Bill and I are taking Vitamin C and D plus last night I had another ginger and honey tea. I don't feel bad, other than more tired than usual and fortunately no sore throat, but we'll continue to work on keeping it from getting worse.

Some trees are just the perfect shape
I love this!
We cleaned up dishes and Bill sat and read more of the Harry Bosch story Two Kinds of Truth on my Kobo. I was feeling tired so went up to the bedroom for a snooze with my afghan. It took a while but I know I dropped off for 20 minutes at least before I got up and had my shower. I could hear some logs being sawed downstairs so I knew the book was done. Another bonus about retirement and this lifestyle, if we need a snooze, we take it.

We've noticed a few cabins are getting new rooves (roofs)
When I was dressed, Bill came up for his shower. We didn’t expect company today but wanted to be ready early just in case someone dropped in. Clemson is getting spoiled and probably very confused about his dinner time as Bill fed him around 3 today. We like to make sure he’s digested it enough and can go out for his business before we leave him alone. He will look after the house for possibly 4 hours while we are gone. He is such a good dog for us.

Another hilltop view overlooking the valley sites
We left the park a few minutes before 4 and arrived at Montana’s on Ontario St. in Stratford at 5. Our table for 6 was reserved, thank goodness as it was at least a 45-minute wait for others. We weren’t seated long before Carol, Brian, Liz and Bruce arrived. This is always a bustling place, no matter the city, and the food is always great. Lots of choices on the menu. Bill and I just had tea and coffee tonight before placing our orders for food.

Montana's for supper, never a let down
A bonus that it was only 10% of last night's meal! :)
I opted for the Southwest Skillet with shrimp and chorizo sausage in a tomato, onion and pepper sauce served over rice. It had a wee 'bite' to it and was delicious! Bill had a simpler meal of a Steak Sandwich on a bun with fries. I had to laugh at the size of Brian’s plate of Nachos and even more so at the look on his face as it was placed in front of him. I promised no picture of him with it but had to include the serving itself. Needless to say, half of it was left behind.

Southwest skillet
Definitely a go-to for another time
The conversation flowed and we had a lot of laughs over dinner. A few memories of Dad were shared and some teary goodbyes when we parted around 7. These goodbyes are very bittersweet. It was a calm but cool evening as we drove back ‘home’ to our Suite and Clemson in Arkona. It feels weird not to be driving to the Ridge, not bad, just weird. That feeling will dissipate once we cross the border, truly on our way.

Brian's Nacho skillet could have fed all of us
We were home by 8:15 and instead of watching tv, we sat with our books. At 10:30 Clemson and I were in bed, with Bill following within minutes. He had an early morning departure planned. This was a quiet, relaxing day and we enjoyed it.

And another awesome family photo
Good night from us at Rock Glen!

Thanks for stopping in!


  1. So nice there at Rock Glen especially when it is quiet like that. It is always fun waking up in the morning and having to look out the window to see where we are.
    What fun family dinner nice to see everyone again, Now keep on having fun there before you hit the road again.

    1. It is nice here for a change.a big change from the Ridge.
      We had good tomes with Bill's sibs.

  2. Looks nice and peaceful there! Nice Bill and you can take a day or two to relax and enjoy after getting every thing done to leave "The Ridge" and head out for the winter...gosh can't believe I'm saying that. These years just go too quickly. We're seeing quite the migration already of RV's going south down 95A towards Vegas. Those nachos make me drool this am! Beautiful family picture once again! Ken's not much for stickers on vehicles either, so surprises me when he puts one on, I know it's something he really wants to share :) Our boys are a lot alike I'm thinking :))

    1. The park is nice and quiet, the way i like it.
      I'm sure you are seeing a lot of rvs now. We all want your weather!
      The nachos did look great.
      Methinks like you, our boys are a lot alike. 😀

  3. We avoid the stickers as well but they are nice to look at.
    Looks like you had another enjoyable family get-together. Those Nachos looked inviting.
    The weather is definitely telling us it's time to head south.
    Be Safe and Enjoy heading south tomorrow.

    It's about time.

    1. No more avoidance. The stickers are going on!!
      We had a nice dinner for sure.

  4. So glad that you are feeling better.