Saturday, February 18, 2023

Quartzsite Desert Flyers Fun Fly

Park Place RV Park

Bill was up at 5:30 with the alarm on Saturday, Feb. 18th. Now that’s a sound we’ve not heard much of this winter. He had packed a lunch last night and was just finishing packing the cooler when I got up at 6:50, time to say goodbye. It was still on the dawn side of the morning, not yet light. I hopped in the shower before doing anything else and then took Gibbs for his walk around the park.

There it is, that beautiful morning
we've been praying for

Gibbs still enjoys his walks
as soon as Mom is ready

There was a briskness in the air but hardly any breeze and 41F/5C under a clear blue sky. I filled the hummer feeder, our fridge water bottle, Gibbs’ outside water bottle and switched us to solar power. Then I made a to-go cup of tea, slipped on my leather jacket and new poncho over that. I just wasn’t sure how warm I would need to be to spend the morning at the field. I left at 8:30 and was quite comfy in what I chose to wear.

Top picture: walking up to the field from Celia's Garden area
The pit area and staging area for static display
Lots of beautiful planes

I was well warmed up by the time I’d walked the mile. There were already a few flyers and spectators in the lot and Woody, greeted me before anyone else. πŸ˜‰ “Oh good, my date has arrived!” He told the story that Bill loaned me to him for the morning. In his 80’s, everyone loves him, he wandered around with a box of QDF ball caps to sell. $6 each or 2 for $13. Figure that out. Ha ha, that’s Woody.

These were my favourite fliers today

It was nice to see our friend, Dave and meet Steve, who are camped at La Posa South. Dave was also at night flying last night and enjoyed it very much. I soon warmed up and took my jacket off from under the poncho. I met a few of Bill’s new friends, mostly from Canadian provinces and sat with Darlene (I hope I got her name right) for quite a while getting to know each other.

Left: Woody sells the club hats
Top right: Carol Ann and Bob sell 50/50 tickets
Bottom right: Woody and I

Eventually, my poncho came off (happy to have Black Beauty as a drop spot) and by that time our friends from Roadrunner had arrived. Doug, Yuma, Deb and Tom came to see the show as well. There were plenty of flyers and plenty of spectators, Bill has better numbers of which I’m sure he’ll write about when the weekend is over. I bought 12 of the 50/50 tickets and when asked to draw the winner at noon, decided NOT to pick my number. 😊 I was happy to make the donation to the club.

There he goes again

Around 12:30, I was hungry and gave a goodbye hug to my date, our time had run out for this year. I walked back home in just a t-shirt, grateful to touch home dirt. I fried an egg with a couple of ham slices in a tortilla wrap. I’d found a recipe for using up the plain Greek yogourt that we bought in Parker. I’m not sure what the fat content is but it isn’t what I thought. I blended sugar-free Jell-o powder with boiling and cold water before adding the yogourt. It’s in the fridge for us to try tonight.

Quite a few spectators today
A really good turn out
The 50/50 draw was $250 for the winner
and $250 for the club

Bill was home by 1:15, not too much later than me, and was feeling quite exhausted. My regret from today is that I didn’t get my favourite MC, the club’s president, in any of my pictures. He announced each flight, told spectators of the club’s history and detailed many of the planes flown at this morning’s event. 😊 That’s my hubby. He did an awesome job as usual.

Wayne shows 3 interested
young people how to fly
They each get a turn on a 'trainer' airplane
Kobus helps

Bill dozed upstairs as I tried to do downstairs in my chair. Gibbs was up and down etc. making that difficult. Supper is to be decided yet but this has been a wonderful day.

On my walk home, I saw this lady at the dog park
She had two dogs and 2 noisy parrots/parakeets
One on her head, one on her shoulder
Kind of strange but kind of funny
Good night!

Thank you for the visit! (PS – we reached a high of 72F/22C today!)


14 comments:

  1. What a great day; congratulations to Bill .I’m sure it’s very gratifying for all the work to have such a turnout & on a nice day (finally).All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a great success. So many spectators! I love watching those planes fly! It looks like two sun conures ... beauties, but one of the noisiest birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a good time was had by all. Sorry we missed it.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good day. Well done to Bill and his fellow flyers for putting on a good show for the spectators. I'm sure everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome day. Congratulations to Bill for a successful turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun Fly looks amazing! Love the pictures! Great turnout of people! How fun..Curious why VFW didn't turn out? They would have made a mint I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. VFW canceled a week before the event, not enough volunteers. They lose because the club has booked 2 other vendors for next year.

      Delete
  7. What a great turn out and a wonderful show.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete