Wednesday, July 26, 2023

A Lazy Day and Jello Plans

The Ridge

On Wednesday, July 26th I was up and on my way to town by 7:00. The Mat was empty when I arrived and in normal condition, which is always good. There was one dirty, no, filthy, washing machine that I needed to run through not once but twice! Really bad but I left it clean. I finished the hour, marked on the office calendar and let myself out with 2 ladies inside. Ladies, for a change.

It was a hazy sun this morning.
Not smoke, but humidity

Before leaving town, I stopped at Foodland for a package of ground coffee and cream cheese since it was on sale. Can never have enough of that fridge addition. 😊 On the way home, I stopped at Eckhardt’s Shell to cash in our scratch tickets. Surprising to us, we won $17 on them, when we expected only $8 so isn’t that nice? I bought 2 of the same and some numbers on tonight and Friday’s lotto draws too. Can’t win if you don’t play.

Across from the laundromat, the whole
town is curious what this old shop is going to be now

Today, they were digging up the asphalt

Back at home, Bill and Gibbs were outside but although he still ran down a bit to greet me, he stayed beside the car as I pulled into my spot. There was some puttering around and then Bill got the battery mower out and cut as much as he could around our patio area as he could before it died. It is old, at least 8 years so we’ll have to order new ones from Mark, in town.

I walked up to our shovel on 
the berm.
My first gladiola this year
and these dahlias aren't far behind.
I should plant everything in
back hoe shovels!

Then, Bill, my ‘can’t stop me now’ kind of guy, got out the weed eater and trimmed, trimmed and trimmed some more. Gibbs and I waited in the King chairs for him to stop but he’s like the Eveready Bunny and he’ll stop when HIS battery runs low. 😊 That was around 12 noon so it was a good thing, I’d planned bacon and eggs for lunch, he deserved a hearty meal. He hopped in the shower while I prepared it.

Gibbs and I are watching our Bunny

It was then that I noticed a text from Patty and Duncan who were arriving tomorrow. They had a problem with their Harvest Host for tonight and wondered if they could arrive a day early. Absolutely! By 1:30ish, they pulled in the lane and after meet and greets, they got set up for a few nights. It is always good to see them, there always seems to be lots to talk about.

Yes, it seems funny to light a fire on 
a hot day but, we had wood pieces to 
clean up and cardboard.
I'll clean it out tomorrow or Friday
so it is ready for campfires. 💓

We sat out for Happy Hour, for them, mainly just a much-needed rest. They’d been on the go since early morning. Actually, so had Bill so we all enjoyed a drink together. It was a hot, muggy day but we were blessed with a wonderful breeze, quite gusty at times, and we welcomed every breath of it.

Supper was good and
we cleaned up some leftovers too.

When it was time to come in for supper, I fried mini sausages along with the leftover rice in beef broth. For our vegetables, Bill had corn and I had Brussel sprouts. It was quite tasty. We finished off the raspberry cheesecake and left the fresh blueberries P & D brought us from this morning’s (or yesterday’s) pick. 😊  After dishes, the sky had darkened a fair bit, with the threat of rain – again.

I laughed at this blue jay
It looks like he is reading my sign.

Gibbs and I walked quickly down the lane to get the mail and by the time we were headed back, a few drops found us. Run, Gibbs, Run! So, we did. We reached a high of 28C/82F by this afternoon and will only drop to 18C/65F tonight. If the rain doesn’t make it a challenge, the windows will be open again this evening. The a/c ran all day and we were grateful for that. Our friends remained indoors, as did we, for the evening. I texted them a good night with the rain pattering softly on our roofs. What a great day!

Welcome friends!
Good night!

Thank you for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. My routine changed so
    it's been a while since I last read your blog.It's really nice to see that you're
    still active, sweet, blessed and enjoying life-Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everything is okay, Mary. It is so nice to hear from you again!

      Delete
  2. The Ridge is sure green & I imagine hard to keep up with all the “growing things”.If you download the OLG app you’ll be able to scan your own “winners”,lol- good luck.Great to see how well Bill’s shoulder has responded.All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A James. The Ridge is a challenge to keep up with but we do love it here.
      Thank you for the info, I never thought to download the app.

      Delete
  3. That is a LOT of grass to mow!! Your green thumb is showing!! I know you are going to enjoy your company!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is which is why we're really missing our riding mower. Thank you Nancy.

      Delete
  4. How does a washing machine get dirty? By definition, shouldn't it clean itself as it washes clothing? I can understand spills of detergent and softener, but I also think the patrons are trying too hard.
    Enjoy your company. I do hope the weather remains comfortable for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd taken a picture of it before, during and after I wiped it, ran it through and had to run it a second time. It was pieces of fluff, little stick pieces etc etc floating in it. Yeuch!

      Delete