Saturday, July 29, 2023

What's it Gonna Be?

The Ridge

We weren’t quite sure what the day would bring when we woke up Friday, July 28th. Again, rain, possible rain, chance of storms, were all in the forecast so we just keep our eyes on the sky before any concrete plans are made. We knew it would be another hot humid one regardless, so Bill and I closed the windows again early and flicked the switch for the a/c to come on when needed.

What's it going to be?
rain, cloudy, sun?

I was up and on my way to Durham by 7:10. It was a normal cleaning after a first bit of confusion. As I drove in I noticed that the Mat chairs were sitting out on the curb. ??? My assumption was that someone had moved them out so they could sit and watch the ‘de’struction across the road as the front end loader picked up the concrete slabs and dumped them into the bin. Why wouldn’t they put the chairs back though? Grrr.

Three new chairs
You can see the old ones out the window

As I walked in the back door (armoured up, haha) I noticed 3 brand new chairs sitting at the window. Sandy had put the 4 old ones out with a FREE sign on them. 2 were left. One customer and I got a laugh together over that. He’d seen that I was on a mission when I entered. 😊 Nice chairs and it was time for replacement. I love how this new owner is sparing no expense to bring things up to par where Jamie simply couldn’t afford to do so. (I still miss Jamie though).

Back and forth with the sky
but still a really nice day

Bill asked if I would check at the hardware store for some washers Josh was going to order in for him and while there, I decided to splurge on bird seed. Yikes! $70 later they will have full tummies for the month. It’s either bite the bullet and buy it or say goodbye to my feathered friends and I really don’t want to do that. Back home, I filled the feeders and was NOT surprised, since there was no visible rain under that cloud-filled sky, to see Duncan and Bill hard at the ‘project’.

Gibbs wanted to be out with us so
he stayed in the shade too

Soon, folks, you’ll know what that is. It’s worth the wait, I promise. Patty and I had been ‘hired’ to help for about an hour once I returned and then we were done for the day. We really had no energy nor desire to get too physical. The boys kept going like Everready bunnies until 4:30 when they called it quits. Us ladies and Gibbs sat in the shade of their awning, reading, chatting and keeping the boys hydrated and snacked up. 😊

I little bit of gravel digging and he had himself a cool spot

They wanted to provide our supper (surprise!) so of course we accepted the offer to join them for sous vide corned beef, potatoes and cabbage. It was an Irish meal for no reason at all but it was delicious. I cooked some corn for Bill but he actually said he enjoyed the cabbage too. I didn’t know what ‘sous vide’ was so Duncan showed me the technique and the cooker machine which he used in a small Coleman cooler with a hole cut out of the top. He’s creative alright!

What a lovely meal!
A few green grapes and dark chocolate
pieces for dessert.
Perfect!

While sitting inside their home, our good buddies, Rob and Pat arrived for an evening visit. Of course, Bella came to play with Gibbs and play they did! Last time, Gibbs really didn’t want anything to do with her but this time they had a whole mess of fun chasing each other. We’re so pleased that R & P feel welcome enough to drop in on us like this, as we would tend to do that to them. It’s what great friends do, right?

The conversation
"Shall we play?"


The whispered plan
and a wee kiss

"Who's chasing who?"










They left around 9 with a promise to return soon and since our boys were kapooped we retired to our own living spaces. I wasn’t up long, and didn’t even feel like writing my blog. Bill followed Gibbs and I to bed soon after. It was a fantastic day, a lot got accomplished. 

It's always great fun when we see our buddies. πŸ’–

Bill can’t thank Duncan enough for his help with this project and I’m sure fell asleep with a smile on his face. They work well together. We never got any rain and the weather today was a mixed bag of sun, clouds, occasional breeze and constant heat and humidity. We reached a high of 30C/85F. 

The Waxing Gibbous phase, 77% visible,
to the south


It was a pretty night.
Good night!

Thank you for the visit today! Your comments are always appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the project! I think you can sous vide in some instant pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice day and the sunset was lovely. Gibbs obviously enjoyed his company too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, looking forward to the unveiling of the project! :) Dinner looks amazing! Rob and Pat look good too!

    ReplyDelete