Saturday, March 13, 2021

A Busy Friday Morning and Checking The Ridge

Paisley, On

Friday, Mar. 12th started out a bit different than most of my work days. I got up at 6:30 and brought my tea up. It was 7:30 when I was washed and ready to go with a packed lunch and thermos of coffee. The sun was up and it looked like a good day was on the horizon. It was 2C/36F.

It was a gorgeous morning
and although this water shouldn't be taking over here,
it was great for photographers!

I stopped on B.C. Rd 10 and picked up a bag of wood for the wood stove at the shop. We wanted to check it out since the price was so much cheaper than what M was paying for a smaller bag. 

You'll wonder what the???
There is always a point on certain drives that the sun visor just don't cut it
We have a little stuffed bear in Ptooties
so I put him to good use this morning

Then, in Hanover, I stopped at Carson Cleaners with a drop off (Mom worked there many years ago, in the early to mid-60’s. From there, since I was early, I stopped at Walmart for my few grocery items instead of having to stop on the way home. I was in and out within 15 minutes.

Pretty, isn't it? This is on Baptist Church Road
one of my favourite walking paths

The Mat had one customer just finishing up his laundry (ps: I’ve never seen so many men doing laundry!) and then I was on my own for the remainder of the hour. It was 9:45 when I finished and stopped at the Rethreads second hand store in Durham to buy a bag of rags for the shop. We use them a lot for washing and when I do sanding. Mostly they are tops, and I cut them up into better sizes for working with.

When I arrived at work, I was tickled to see that his laneway was completely clear of the ice and snow I’d driven across on Wednesday. It gave me hope. Even though I thought I was finished sanding the Dodge, M asked that I go over it once more as he noticed a few rougher spots that I missed. It wasn’t a critique but just an observation, he said. πŸ˜‰ So, for the next 2 hours that is what I focused on. It does need to be really smooth for painting.

After work, I drove to the Ridge
This is today, Friday's view of the end of our lane

This was Wednesday's view
You can see why I'm excited now!!

I’d noticed around 11:30 that a headache was coming on and thought maybe it was from hunger so I sat and ate some of my lunch. I mentioned that maybe I’d only work 2 hours today and that worked fine for both of us. I’d finished all I could do until he painted. M wished me well and sent me off with $ in my pocket. Of course, I had to drive to the Ridge before leaving the area. I was trying not to be too hopeful.

And a huge difference up the lane today

I was happy to be able to pull up to the gate
I likely could have driven up to the bottom of the hill

Boy, was I surprised in the change from 2 days ago! I was able to drive right in the driveway to the gate. Probably, if the heavy gate had been open I would have been able to drive to the bottom of the hill. This was exactly what we’ve been hoping for. The wind was strong and very cold but after texting Bill with a couple of pictures to share the ‘glee’, I bundled up and walked up the lane.

This is our Suite spot πŸ˜ƒ

Our Happy Hour and sitting area
is looking great!

Other than one area at the crest of the hill, we could drive a vehicle up quite easily. 😊 At the top, I could see the clear areas and also the areas where we turn the Suite around that made it inaccessible at this time. There was still a fair bit along the base of the berm but a few more days of above freezing temperatures and sunshine will make a huge difference. I think we might be calling Peggy soon about getting our home out of the lot. We aren't kidding ourselves, we know there will be more snow and cold BUT it won't amount to much and it won't last. It was Mar. 21st last year when we arrived to a clear property.

And Bill's Hangar area is completely clear
I told the building "Soon" 

I left there and drove home, battling strong wind gusts all the way. I did stop at Dollarama before getting on the highway for home. I needed greeting cards and a gift bag for a certain little someone’s gift. At home, I felt a bit better but still retired to our room and curled up on the bed for half hour. At 3:30, I went down for a tea and took it out to the garage to work on the new puzzle. It is another 1000-pc so was taking up a lot of room to start.

On my drive, I notice this pond with 2 decoy ducks
They froze there all winter and now are getting some water back 

I finished what I could of the border, obviously missing about 5 pieces. It was too dark by then to spend more time hunting for them amongst the pieces so quit for the day.  Bill had texted that he would be late again, and I’d already expected that. They are trying to finish up a couple of jobs today. It was 5:45 when he said he was on his way so after unlocking the door, I laid down again. I’d taken a couple of pain pills since the headache was back.

The new puzzle is going to be another huge challenge

But I accept that challenge!

We laid down together and relaxed until about 6:30 talking before reheating some chili for on toast tonight. We had Jell-o and the last cupcake for dessert. I made it upstairs just in time after dishes to watch Jeopardy but can tell that my head is still not 100%. Bill went into the next room when I came out to watch one of their movies. It was a new one this year that none of them had seen.

A nice easy supper

I was happy to finish writing my blog (no publishing tonight though) and crawling into bed with my book. No point in trying to sleep yet or I’d be up at 5. I know that is pretty normal for some of you, especially our American friends, but not for us. This was a day full of good news, even when I wasn’t feeling the best. I’ll be right as rain tomorrow, wait and see!

Parked at Lucky Star Casino, El Reno, OK
Mar. 12, 2018
One of our favourite stops for a few nights

Good night!

Thank you for stopping by!


  1. Hope you're feeling better this am! Headaches can sure ruin a day! This year it seems I've had "seasonal" allergies all year which causes more headaches. The Ridge is looking awesome! Soon you'll be able to go home and hopefully next winter be able to come this way!

    1. I am, thank you very much! I don't think my eating habits have been great as I've had more headaches lately than I'm used to.
      The Ridge is calling to us, for sure!

  2. When you do bring in 5th wheel, go early in morning on a frosty morning when your ground/mud is hard. You must be so excited! I'm excited for you and I don't even know you. Ha!

    1. Thanks, yes, although by the time we pick up the Suite from London (a 3 hour drive there and back) it won't be morning. We are parked on gravel though so will judge where and when we move carefully. :)
      Thanks for your excitement!

  3. Prayers for beautiful sunny days & more snow melt. Hope your headache is better.

  4. The snow has certainly gone fast and any that falls between now and the end of March won't stay long either. I see your countdown clock indicates you plan to be back at the Ridge by mid-April. Will you move back sooner if the weather improves or would it be just a little cool?

    Take care, stay well!

    1. It really did disappear quickly over the last few days! :)
      I'm going to change my countdown timer today!! No, we will be back much sooner, that was Bill's estimation even though I told him we'd be there sooner. Ha ha

  5. I can't believe the difference in just a couple of days. Hope those headaches stop.

  6. Glad to see your drive is almost clear and soon you'll be home. Bet you're excited. As you probably know, I'm not one of those 0500 AmericansπŸ˜€

    1. Thank you Doug. We are excited. And, yes, I realize you are more like us. Up at 7 at the earliest most days. Even when we're not working.

  7. Boy, you must be VERY glad to be able to walk into the Ridge! You'll be counting days now!

  8. It will take time for the Ridge to dry up otherwise it will cause problems when Bill goes to turn around and back in. Looking forward to the day you are back at the Ridge.
    Headaches from hunger are the hardest to get rid of.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    1. Doesn't take long for the place to dry since it is gravel. We were up there last year at almost the same time. :)
      Stupid headaches are more annoying than anything but a laydown helps.

  9. Wow, things are drying up nicely. You will be back home before you know it.

    God bless.

  10. And then the snow was GONE!! Yay!! Looks like you may be back to the Ridge sooner than later. Hope you are feeling better this morning!

    1. almost like a snap of the fingers! :) Hopefully within a week and a bit.
      thank you Nancy.