Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Day 9 – Last Leg, Home on the Ridge, Gibbs is 'FREE!'

The Ridge

Last night, I finished my blog post just around 10, got up from my chair, kissed Bill goodnight and went up to bed with Gibbs. The bed sheets were chilly so I wore my long johns and was soon asleep. Today, Wednesday, Apr. 20th, I didn’t hear Bill get up with Gibbs at 6 and slept until 7:10! The little bum came back to bed with me but Bill didn’t. I know I was awake at 4:30, rolled over and then had 2 ½ hours of dreams. 😊

Ready to pull out for the last leg home

Now that we’re in Canada, it’s when our bodies fully ‘come down’ from the long trip. Hopefully, after today’s drive, Bill will be able to sleep in tomorrow. I had some cereal and Bill had toast and then he made our thermoses of tea. There was frost on the windshield and our scrapers are back home! By the time we were ready to leave, they were clear and we pulled out at 8:10. Low temperature over night was 28F/-2C.

We never planned to go through Woodstock
but it is always a lovely drive with their
large beautiful churches, homes and attractive streets

The sun is shining with 95% clear blue skies. The few clouds, mostly low-lying, will not deter our solar panels from soaking up the rays. 😊 Too funny, no sooner did I write that when the sky changed and it was more clouds than blue. Good grief! We had a good drive  but on the east side of London, because we were chatting, for the 3rd or is it the 4th (?) time, we missed Exit 222 to the Embro Rd. which is a quick, familiar route home.

Durham with still a fair bit of snow in the fields

We were arriving in Durham around 11 and while Bill got our propane tank filled at FS Co-op, I ran across to the Foodland for milk. We buy jugs of milk south of the border and here we’re back to the litre bags, bought 3 at a time. It seems like I paid a fortune for the milk, and compared to what we paid in Q for the same amount, I guess I did. $5.99. Ouch! Excitement mounted as we turned onto North Line and Bill opened the gate to the Ridge.

Turning onto North Line (bottom left)
Pulling up to our gate and then up the laneway ♥

I stayed in the truck beside him instead of getting out to help him back into place. With the added challenge of backing up closely beside our new stoop/steps, I knew it would freak me out. He always says he can do it himself and so he did. He backed onto the wood boards we leave in place and with only a couple of adjustments (jiggying) he line the Suite up perfectly and we were where we wanted to be.

Bill backs our trailer up so well
If you look closely, you'll see the boards preset
for the wheels
Perfect! 💕

We were all set up by 11:45 with the exception of the satellite dish which we took care of after lunch. The best part of returning for me, was watching Gibbs claim his ‘new’ home. Remember that he was only 7 months when we left and he wasn’t yet fully attached to his Mom and Daddy. Now, he is and he wants to be with us more. So, I just let him run with his leash. He never strayed but he sure had fun in the snow, up the hills, across the lawn, gravel and around the sheds. It was a joy to watch.

For Gibbs, the fun had just begun

The snow melted quickly and Gibbs continued
to play

We had bacon and eggs for lunch and Bill had brought the small fridge in from the Bunky. With the exception of condiments, some fruit, onions and my tortilla wraps, everything else fit into the fridge-ette. 😊 There is a small freezer section too so I will have room for our frozen meat from Gayle. It is such a relief to be done with buying ice cubes.

Bill got our flag up on the hill and the mailbox set out
at the end of the lane
Gibbs still playing and was very good down the lane with me

As Bill did more setting up outside, I cleaned and swept the outhouse. We couldn’t bring much out of the Bunky yet but I did hang my finch feeder. It didn’t take long when I noticed that chickadees had returned and were gratefully eating the Niger seeds. Well, that made me smile! We haven’t turned out electric/hydro switch on yet because we’ve had gorgeous sun all afternoon but we'll be turning it on before the night is out. 

Our pond is looking great
The Ridge geese are already busy and noisy

As I made a cup of tea and prepared to sit and rest, M, my body shop boss drove up to welcome us back. We’d met him on Baptist Church Road coming in so he knew we’d returned. After catching up on his news, I made a second cup of tea as the first had cooled off. That’s okay, it was nice of him to stop by. For supper, I refried my pizza and warmed up the leftover hamburger gravy mixture with corn for Bill.

We're set up in our favourite site 😁
Bill gets our weather station in place

Top picture - the turtles are back
but they all slipped into the pond when we walked by
Except this one. Can you see him?

Supper turned out quite good and we cleaned up leftovers again. We went outside, Gibbs went out off leash. We really want to test the waters. He stayed close to us or ran around with his bottle that we found in the Bunky. Bill went up and ‘installed’ our weather station and because of the chilly air, I came in. Gibbs had to stay out until Daddy came in and then followed him dutifully.

Two garden visitors
The one on the right is scratching his head wondering
why he got left out all winter. Hmm, woops!

Daddy's busy working out there so I need to supervise
This is our Bunky fridge and it's working
perfectly for us

Tomorrow will be a busy day and by the sounds of the phone call Bill just got, Mr. Appliance from Hanover will be coming Friday afternoon to look at the fridge. It would be wonderful if it could be fixed before the weekend! Fingers crossed! 😊

We each enjoyed our meals tonight

This was a great day and I was able to get a picture of my first sunset on the Ridge in 2022! 

Good night!

Thank you for stopping by. *sigh*, we're home. 💖💖💖💖💖

34 comments:

  1. I remember that wonderful feeling of pulling into our driveway after a winter away. And walking into our house after 3 months, great feeling. Guess you feel that same way when you pull into the driveway of The Ridge. Welcome home and hope your fridge problems will be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just saying to Bill how great it feels just being in the road for 9 days. Moving daily takes a lot out of me. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are home safe and sound. I've really enjoyed your travels this season. Thank you!
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Don. We've enjoyed them too and thank you for coming along.

      Delete
  3. Gibbs is sure enjoying the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it is wonderful to be home for the summer! I sure hope they are able to fix your fridge on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you arrived safely!! As the saying goes: There's no place like home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you have a refrigerator again. Good thoughts for an easy fix on the main refrigerator. Thru your blog I can tell how happy you are to be home. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elva.
      This is always a great feeling, regardless of what Mother Nature throws at us. 😊

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on making it home safely. We are outside Billings MT & heading for West Yellowstone to work for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on making it home safely!! We are heading to West Yellowstone, MT for our summer jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about two posts, didn’t think first one went successfully. Oh well, 2 is better than none.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know your thankful for a safe journey home!
    Happy to see the Ridge was just waiting for your return.
    Gibbs will be busy checking out everything.🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibbs has a brand new security job and a lot more responsibility!

      Delete
  11. Welcome home. There is no feeling like pulling into your summer place after being away for so long. Of course the same can be said about the excitement of leaving in the fall. Lol. Good luck with the fridge.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad y'all got home safely. I, like Deb, always enjoy the feeling of getting to the "alternate" home after months away. Super glad you have a mini-fridge to tide you over until the big one gets fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and Ed for your comment.
      It is nice to return home for sure.
      The mini fridge is a blessing.

      Delete
  13. It is such a great feeling to be home!! Especially when the puppies run around, so happy to be off leash!! It's such a gorgeous area you live in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome home! I will definitely have my fingers crossed that the refridgerator can be repaired and quickly.

    Gibbs is such a cutie - I loved the photos of him in the snow. He obviously enjoys it. (more than the people I'm sure.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, i appreciate your crossed fingers.
      Gibbs does enjoy the snow more than us!

      Delete
  15. So glad you're home! Hopefully the mobile guy can fix the fridge! Gibbs is certainly enjoying himself! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home. I hope your fridge can be fixed very soon.

    Gibbs seems to love the snow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibbs doesn't quite know what to think of the cold stuff. 😁

      Delete
  17. Welcome back! Saw a lot of familiar photos there. It means so much reading your posts written here at home when we've been to The Ridge. And I grew up in Woodstock so I recognized those too. Look forward to your summer's posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, FG.
      We're so glad you've both been here. Woodstock is a pretty town.

      Delete
  18. Welcome home. Always a great feeling getting home. Just the same when you leave for a new adventure. Blessed to have both!

    ReplyDelete