Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Day Two and We Still Like Each Other! 😊

Gallup, NM to Amarillo Welcome Centre,Texas

On Wednesday, Apr. 13th we slept until 6:30 and got up before 7. Of course, that is only 5:30 Az time and it was 11:30 when we went to bed. I was so tired and since it was going down to 20F/-6C, I put our duvet back on PLUS wore my long johns to bed. 😊 I was toasty and never moved all night long. Our departure wasn’t for another hour and a half so we didn’t rush.

The walk this morning was on the outskirts of
the Walmart parking lot
How exciting! says Gibbs
Top right, we're at the far end, out of the wind

Bill had his bowl of cold cereal and after seeing that our batteries were at 12.3, I briefly heated my oatmeal and had that for breakfast. I boiled the kettle for my tea and Bill got a thermos of coffee from Gayle’s Keurig. We decided against buying more ice, Bill did the clean up in the fridge for me this morning which I dearly appreciated.

On the road again

Some store-bought ice bags were leaking so he saved the water and rebagged the ice. I heard him mutter ‘we should just throw the damn stuff out’ and I laughed at his reaction after just once messing with the ice. 😊 We are on the same page and agree on what is important. We’ll strive to save what we can. We were all on the road, with John leading, by 8:00. The temperature was 28F/-2C with clear sky.

We love the southwest, but I think New Mexico
takes the trophy for most beautiful scenery
Hey, Doug! Is this your White Lion?

It is a long stretch along I-40E with pretty good roads. Of course, there are areas of construction and some that ‘need’ construction but it is straight forward with plenty of places for fuel and stops. First stop for fuel was at Moriarty, N.M. at a TA Centre. $4.75/gal so we were happy to see it starting to come down. They had their breakfast and we pulled out in the lead at 11:30.

Albuquerque, NM
I missed seeing the huge flower pots though
We think they've been removed

One more stop at a Rest Area of which I didn’t make note where it was but still along I-40E. 😊 We stretched our legs and took care of business before hitting the pavement once more. It was Exit 76 where we got off the highway and pulled into the Amarillo Welcome Centre. We’ve stayed here before and hope Gayle and John are pleased with the choice.

Oh, I would love a stage coach and team
on The Ridge! ♥

Once we found our spots for the night, facing each other, Bill and I joined them in their Montana for a drink together. I’d had a headache a couple of times throughout the day so a tea was in order. Gayle did the same and the boys had a little harder drink. They’d done the driving. We covered about 445 miles today. It was a great day’s drive arriving at our destination at 5 o’clock CT. We lost another hour.

We missed NM's arrival sign so here it is as we leave
and I almost missed the Texas welcome!

I knew what we should be doing but I didn’t get this far in life always doing what I should. So, rather than cook and eat something from the freezer compartment, I suggested we go to Denny’s across the highway. Everyone was game for it and in the warm wind, it was an incredible 64F/18C when we took our lives in our hands and walked across the overpass. There are no sidewalks but thankfully traffic had died down at 6:30 enough for us to be safe. 😊

Zipping by Cadillac Ranch
The big truck was there to spray them all for a clean slate
Bottom left, construction workers
Bottom right, very few of the wind turbines we saw in this section

It is blurry but somewhere along the ride today, 💓


Bill and I ordered off the breakfast menu, I had a Sante Fe Skillet and I ate every delicious morsel. They were the eggs that we’ve not had for a few days.

We walked back and after taking some of our meat over to Gayle’s freezer, we settled in for the night. My end of the closet was a mess, clothes hangers had come off the bar again, so I finally remembered to heed Gayle’s suggestion of hanging them on backwards. Tomorrow will be the test. 😃

We all watched this beautiful retro trailer pull in
Two doors, one on each side made it even more unique
The plate says FS 1952

a pretty night sky

This was a great second day of travel and we’re crossing state lines each day. Tomorrow will be yet another, stay tuned!

Here we are snuggled in for the night
Good night!

Thank you for stopping in.

16 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice travel day and you have company to travel with. Not the White Lion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this is as close as we will get to each other this spring!!! Safe Travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patsy, I can feel your pain and frustrations with the fridge. At least we were so lucky to have you to back us up and tie us over. We celebrated one month of Styrofoam freezer today. UGH...They bleed thru and water all over. Not meant for long term use...
    Stay safe and remember, it is all about the journey and memories made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are still my hero, Lori. I'm ready to give up already. ❤
      We really didn't help you much at all. Nice to have family with us.
      🥰

      Delete
  4. Maybe double pack that ice in garbage bags?? For the clothes, get an expandable shower curtain rod and place it across the top of the pole with the hangars. When not traveling, I take it down and put it in the shower to hang towels on. Works like a charm. You certainly are moving down the highway. That was a long driving day!! Safe continued travels .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kiddo.
      The ice bags need to be small enough to fit in between the food and in the crisper so smaller ziplocks work pretty good. Condensation makes a mess too.
      I've formed the hangers the opposite way to try Gayle's method. 🤞

      Delete
  5. Glad you are making good time on your travels.
    We use Stay-Put Hangers that are specially designed for RV Traveling. They are snug to the bar so they don't fall off with every bump in the road. We got our first ones at Camping World then the rest at the vendors in Quartzsite.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy the scenery.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're certainly making good time. I can only imagine how frustrating to be dealing with the fridge/freezer. I'd probably be like Bill and ready to toss everything and head for the nearest restaurant!

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurry so you don't miss our cold weather next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for the warning. I think it's time for a slow down!

      Delete
  8. With our present weather pattern you won't need a fridge, just leave your food outside ;-) Actually, would it be possible to put the ice packets into tupperware containers next to the food so the thawed ice water is contained? Hope you get that fridge fixed asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're right!
      My friend did that but i don't have sensible sized containers too be much help. Great idea though.

      Delete