Saturday, September 17, 2022

LadyFest - Niagara-on-the-Lake and In Between

The Ridge

On Friday, Sept. 16th it was another bit of a sleep in. Woops! For some reason, Bill’s alarm on his phone is going off at 5:30 and yet it is so silent that it doesn’t wake him up. So, it was 5:50 when he got up, washed and took Gibbs out for his piddle. He carried on, had his breakfast, and had his lunch ready by the time Gibbs and I came down at 6:30.

Gibbs and apparently this Blue Jay,
watched me packing up to go 'to work'

I had cereal with my tea and we said goodbye to Bill. Mine was a little more extensive this morning since I won’t be seeing him for a couple of mornings. After he left, I had my shower and finished the last of my packing. I was taking snacks, drinks and my laptop and once that was done, Gibbs and I went for a walk together.

Fergus was a tourist stop and we enjoyed the Bookery

M had texted first thing asking that I pop over to help with posting an ad on Kijiji but I had to decline. I don’t think he was too happy but this day was about ‘me, me, me’. Wendy and Gayle drove up the lane around 8:45 and we drove to Durham to pick Donna up. Oh, saying bye to my little furry sweetheart was not easy. He thought I was ‘going to work’ so he took his biscuit very innocently. It was me who felt sad.

Lunch at the Red Door

A few sister poses

We met Cathy and Audrey in Arthur where Gayle took over driving Cathy’s car. Two vehicles headed to Fergus where we stopped on Main St. and shopped the main street, a favourite store being the Bookery, a suggestion my daughter made for us to check out. I found a book I was looking for. 😊 

Before we left Fergus, we ate lunch at a nice little restaurant called The Red Door with a Health Food Store front. We walked behind the restaurants over the little walkway on the Grand River. 

We've never stopped here before, Bill and I
but I'm glad us girls did 

Separating after a walkabout, we met up at Value Village in St. Catherine’s, just over an hour away. We always have fun at the second-hand shops and followed that one up by going next to the Mission Thrift Store. I always find something and I’m always pleased with what comes home with me. 😊 We left the area and drove to Virgil, a small burb near Niagara-on-the-Lake, passing lots of plentiful grape fields along the way.

Travel pictures and crossing the Burlington Skyway

Welland Canal

We found our cottage, a beautiful little VRBO rental and got settled in by 4:30. We talked about our plans for Saturday and then walked down the street to find a restaurant with no wait time and room for 6 of us with no reservation. 

Virgil is actually where our little cottage is
about 20 minutes to Niagara-on-the-Lake

It is a lovely little cottage with beds for all of us
with some sharing and the price is very reasonable

We found it at Silks Restaurant. We started with lobster bisque and I had homemade perogies as my entrée. Yum! I don’t eat these at home so thoroughly enjoyed them. It was dark when we walked back to the cottage and just relaxed for the evening.

My supper at Silks was delicious!
Homemade perogies, bacon, onions and sour cream with coleslaw

Good night!

This has been a fun day and a great start to our weekend.

 Thank you for following along!

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a very fun weekend for you girls! I love that you do this every year, need to do that with my sisters. :) The little house looks adorable and cozy. Lunch and Dinner both look amazing! Have a wonderful time. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. We all get along even with our different points of views on things! :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the weekend in this lovely part of God's country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit jealous of you having so many sisters (sister friends?) Glad you live close enough to get together, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all very grateful and fortunate for each other. And somewhere, Mom is with us again too! ♥

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you will all have a great time. I loved our time there and would like to make another visit around Christmas, I feel like the town would be very magical at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been through Fergus many times, nice town. And my cousin lives in NOTL, say hello to her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun ... except for the missing Gibbs part. He's going to miss his Mom too. Beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete