Monday, January 2, 2023

The Sun Returns, Exploring More Neighbourhood Sights

Park Place RV Park

On Monday, Jan. 2nd it was around 8 by the time we all got up and made the bed. I checked the temperature, 48F/9C, and Gibbs and I went out for our 15-minute walk. Bill was preparing for his morning at the field when I said goodbye and left for my walk. Today, I walked south to the highway/Main St. and followed the sidewalk west. I saw the ‘troll’ way up there ahead of me in my path. Let me explain why I call him that.

Just ahead around the corner
is where the 'troll' lives

He was obviously a homeless man, who I try very hard not to be judgmental about. They are everywhere, it seems. As I approached, from at least 200’ he began waving his arms at me and saying something. I was too far away to hear or understand his words. Closer to him, he became more frantic and his unpleasant words came through. “Go around, you can’t walk here etc.” (and some foul names I won’t repeat), directing me to the other side of the 4-lane highway. 😖

I wonder if I'll get on a camel this year?
See the staging area to get on?

My heart was pounding but I said no way was I crossing the road and stepped off the curb onto pavement and went around him. His arms and vocal abuse carried on during and long after I passed. He was living under the bridge and he immediately reminded me of the troll in the Three Billy Goats Gruff folktale.

This residence on Main St.
is very interesting

Maybe it would have been comical but I couldn’t see it. Instead it was a wee bit intimidating. He didn’t physically try to touch me, thank goodness, so I carried on unscathed. I was enjoying my walk and determined to walk the distance to I-95, which I did, turned right (north) and just before Pit Stop (a propane, water and dump station) I took No Name St. (seriously) back in a zig zag manner back towards the park.

These Saguaros have been here, in
this town for many years
I love that when the homes 'moved in',
they remain

You don't have to be out in the desert
to see these beautiful cacti

I glanced at the time on my phone about 4 blocks from home and it was then I remembered Ladies Poker Pool at 9:30! It was 9:01. I forgot it was Monday, completely. It meant a bit of jogging, speed walking and short cuts across the desert and park to make it home by 9:15. I made my tea, washed and casually walked over to the clubhouse at 9:25. Phew! Three of the other 4 ladies were late, wouldn’t you know? 😊 Now, that was funny!

An interesting vendor,
one of many rock businesses

A couple more vendors on Main Street

Unique street name

The uniqueness didn't stop there
Top picture is Running Roadrunner RV Park
Bottom picture is on private property

We played until 12:30 with yours truly coming out today’s winner! Yay! Bill and I had lunch and I went back to work on the new puzzle. Susan and Adele had the border finished but nothing else, saying it took them hours to do that much. They give me a chuckle. I didn’t see them for the rest of the afternoon but made great strides on the fishing buoys in the picture.

More Saguaro in the top picture on private property
Bottom picture - very nice!
Gayle and John arrived around 3 to pick up their solar panels and kayak so she popped in to chat at the clubhouse while Bill and John loaded the truck. We’ll see them at least once more before they head out to Mexico. I made my tea back home around 4 and for supper I had it easy. Leftovers from last night. Yum, gotta love that!

Down to 4 balls, Patti had some serious thinking
to do for her shot

It was almost as good tonight as it was last night. We skipped the home-baked bread since we had a slice for lunch but we did have a piece of the pie again tonight. 

This one will likely be done tomorrow

Bill loaded the dishwasher and we watched America’s Got Talent All-Stars. I have to admit to losing some interest in these acts, I prefer the singing competitions of The Voice and American Idol but there isn’t much on for us.

Good meal
Good night!

This was another good day. An easy going one and I did good on my steps today. Thank you for popping in.

13 comments:

  1. That would definitely had to be a little scary having someone yell and talk to you that way. I am impressed you walked around and kept going I think my first instinct would have been to turn around. Glad to read he did not actually make any physical contact. Stay safe...hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I was upset but determined not to be weak. He couldn't see how my heart was racing!

      Delete
  2. I used to have to deal with that a lot in San Francisco when I was running. You never know what they are going to do. I just ignored them, but kept a sharp eye on them until I was far beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could only walk around him and plan what I'd do if he reached out for me.

      Delete
  3. Mental illness shines thru in many ways.
    Good job at the poker pool, getting there on time and winning.
    I love the saguaro pics. Each one has its own character.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does and i want quite sure what his next move might be.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Sadly, it's likely the man suffers from a mental illness - as a police officer my brother deals with them all the time. There was a guy in our downtown area like that, the things he said were just awful and he'd chase people down the street. I don't think he ever actually hurt anyone like this troll but it's still disconcerting. I think you handled it as you should have - if you do feel threatened, I'd call the police.
    You're a poker pool winner AND a puzzler extraordinaire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too and although seemingly young, could be a Vet. Just his words hurt but he truly felt he owned that sidewalk.
      Haha thank you!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Maebeme, the man more than likely suffers from some type of mental illness. You did very well, but if it continues please phone the police as he could get physical.

    Love the cacti, such wonderful shapes.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes that's what Bill thinks too.
      The cacti are so unique.

      Delete
  6. The residence on Main Street is an old friend of mine. In Q, they call her Crazy Donna, she just likes rocks a lot. She has some real interesting rocks built into her house walls, both inside and out. Just got internet back.
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if that was her place. It seems neater this year. Is she there now, it seemed vacant.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure. She has been having some serious health problems and I haven't heard. She could be there, and you might not know it, if she isn't working on projects.
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete