Sunday, January 7, 2024

Hunker Down Day

Park Place RV Park

On Sunday, Jan. 7th, it was quite simply a day to hunker down. But the winds didn’t get too strong until about 10. I wasted no time once I got out of bed at 6:30. The clothes were sorted and Bill walked over with me to the clubhouse laundromat at 7. It had rained just prior to my getting up, which meant Gibbs only went out for a quick piddle at 6. He hates the rain!

Walking to and from the clubhouse
at 7 and 7:30
it was hard to see the mountains

Bill wasn’t going flying for obvious reasons, wet, cloudy and windy, so after the laundry was done and put away, I walked over to start the puzzle he gifted me for Christmas. It’s called Balloon Glow. I had the border done fairly quickly; separating and turning pieces took the most time this morning. I returned home at noon and we had tomato soup with French bread for lunch.

When Gibbs and I walked around 10
the sky was breaking up

We had a warmer night than we’ve had, it only dropped to 47F/8C, but today would only get a few degrees above that for the high. I know to some of you, it seems a bit silly for us to travel all this way when it isn’t hot, however, we come not only for the weather (although it still is much warmer during the daytime) but for all the other things we love about Arizona. This is still winter here as well and we know it will warm up in a couple of weeks – and stay until we head home. 😊

The puzzle my sweetie gave me
Noon hour finish on the left
Afternoon break on the right

I went back to the puzzle and worked away until just after 3, that was enough for today. I had a hot chocolate this afternoon instead of my tea and informed Gibbs that there would not be a walk today……..unless things changed before dark. To look out all around us, the mountains are almost invisible with the blowing dust and sand. We’ve reached a few gusts of 34 mph with a wind around 24 mph from the northwest.

When I was putting the Wolf puzzle away,
I glimpsed through the park photo album.
Not many photos in there but I saw this one
from St. Patrick's potluck in 2021. 
We were seated with former hosts
Sue and Fred.

At 4, I couldn’t stand watching my gazebo flopping in the winds that I pulled the top down. Now that the rain is non-existent, it is safe to do so without it filling with water. 😊 I prepped meatloaf for supper and will cook a couple of potatoes and a vegetable. It is a good meal for this kind of day and it means leftovers. The last of the ham got ground up for minced ham sandwiches and I only had sliced dills to use instead of relish. It isn’t as nice but will work in a pinch.

The sky did clear up by late afternoon
but the mountains were still blustery

Supper was ready around 6, meatloaf, mashed potatoes and coleslaw. It seems like a lot of prep sometimes for us to eat it in a mere 10 minutes. Bill eats fast, before food gets cold, and if I want to eat with him still at the table, I eat faster than I normally would too. We’ve never been ‘dawdlers’ over a meal, not that I’m criticizing, just a fact. There were more than normal dishes to wash by hand, pots, blenders and things that wouldn’t fit in the dishwasher.

Supper was good for a cold day

It will be back to a cool night again, under 40F/5C with a couple ahead around 34F/1C. Brrr, but no snow this far south, thank goodness! I hope you have enjoyed your Sunday, back home and above us they are getting a dumping of the white stuff. My little brother in Cold Lake, Alberta received 3” overnight. I wished him “Merry Christmas!” 😊 We’ve had an inside day but a good one.

Last night I watched another good movie with Eddie Murphy called Mr. Church. I recommend it, nice story.

A windy afternoon
Good night!

Thank you for popping in.

7 comments:

  1. Here in the southeast of my province we had snow pretty much all day and part of the night. Not near as much as your brother, but it is to snow all day today as well so who knows. It is pretty cold here now as well. Your meal looks lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill eats fast because, when he's at work, he is limited to how long his Break is. It's healthier to eat slow.
    Saturday's snow is all gone, but the forecast is calling for more, for the next week, so far.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill eats fast because he doesn't like cold food - bottom line. It's a habit. :)

      Delete
  3. Your 47F day doesn't seem to bad now - we're sitting at -24C with a windchill of -30C at the moment. It's our first really cold day and I'm sitting on my couch bundled up in a blanket. We had snow overnight so more shoveling needs to be done, but I'll wait until it warms up slightly this afternoon.
    The puzzle looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr!, yes, it was bound to happen, I suppose. :(
      Stay warm! My friend (and manager here in the park) was bundle up in the crochet blanket I gave her much of yesterday. ♥

      Delete
  4. Dinner looks yummy! Love the picture from the past!

    ReplyDelete