Saturday, January 13, 2024

Walk Like a Camel

Park Place RV Park

On Saturday, Jan. 13th Bill and Gibbs were up at 6:10 for the first time. Bill stayed downstairs and Gibbs and I went back to sleep. Next thing I knew, it was 7:33! We went to bed at 11 last night, all of us, and for love nor money could I fall asleep. I saw 12:30 roll by and I’m going to blame the fact that my feet were cold. I may need to slip on my little sock-ettes if it happens again. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Between the RTR at the Town Park ball diamond
and the parade
this corner of Quartzsite was getting busy!

We were both a bit draggy first thing, wishing we could go back to bed. I suppose there is nothing that says we couldn’t! Bill does like to go flying, especially when the morning is calm and sunny. After he left, Gibbs and I went for our walk. It was over 40F/5C so he didn’t need his coat. I still wore my hoodie and jacket. By the time we returned, I was comfortable. Before I headed out on my own, I started the bread maker to knead a batch of dough for me.

I walked to the flying field and waited there for a while.
The parade was late so after chatting with Bill, 
I walked further north.
Lovely wood door on this remodeled rv.

As I was returning after a 25-minute walk, Bill texted to inform me that the Hi Jolly Parade would be starting at 10:30 – where I just came from. So, I first set the dough in a loaf pan to rise, slipped into my wind breaker, over my hoodie, and struck out again. It was a lovely morning to be outside so I really didn’t mind. The parade wasn’t going to be coming to the corner of the town park so I ended up walking down to Bill’s flying field.

Both ways, north and south, there 
were people and vehicles

It was quite crowded as others were lining up along the sidewalk, in chairs, standing or in their vehicles. I enjoyed the scenery while I waited (& had taken both hoodie and jacket off) in the sun. Walking north towards where the parade would be coming from, I noticed this palo verde tree sharing space with yet another Saguaro. Amazing! The Police Chief was first in line of the parade and saw me taking pictures so stopped to chat. What a nice man! 

The Police Chief couldn't get over the fact that
he'd driven this road hundreds of times and never
once saw this. Glad I could help, Officer! 
There are so many new 'arms' (babies) right at the
very top of the Saguaro. 

He’d never noticed it before after all the times he’s driven that road. ๐Ÿ˜Š He thanked me for noticing it – so he did! ๐Ÿ˜Š When the 3 camels arrived, I walked back beside them. Not ‘like a camel’ but well, maybe so! Bill’s entrance was blocked off as was the road still when I headed home. I was tired, I haven’t walked that much in a loooonnngggg time.

The parade began but it was the camels
everyone wanted to see.
Bill said last year they were in their truck, not walking

Three of them
2 Dromedaries (1 hump) and 1 Bactrian (2 humps)
so the choice is yours! 1 hump or 2?

This fellow kept his eye on me as
we walked

We had lunch together when Bill got home and he went back out flying this afternoon with Keith. The music jam is on at the clubhouse so I went out to the gazebo and began figuring out the crochet pattern. I knew I was doing something wrong yesterday. Gibbs didn’t want to go out for some reason so I was not distracted and made progress on the doggie’s little head. The wool in the kit for his head is white but I switched it out for the same ply in brown. We’ll see how it all turns out.

It was a very small parade
about 6 'floats', these 3 ladies were having
fun 'walking like camels'



I came in for a tea when I’d had enough, I was feeling tired and my right foot was aching. My own fault for walking so far today. I turned our electric power on and baked the bread just before Bill returned. Since I don’t eat it, or much of it, we’re trying to figure other ways to keep it fresh for longer. The next loaf, I’ll try something different, like only rising half and freezing half. It was too late today when Bill suggested it. ๐Ÿ˜Š


My burger was bigger than the bun, the
way I like it. We had 2 buns to eat up,
both different sizes.

For supper, we’re having grilled burgers so at 5, while Bill dozed (his first of the day!) Gibbs and I went for our afternoon walk. I thought I maybe shouldn’t be walking any more, but it seemed to help my foot/heel after I took a couple of Advil. I doubt I’ll put 11,000 steps in anytime soon so will stop complaining. The cheeseburgers were – what else? – delicious. The evening will be quiet, we may watch something together or do our own thing. This was a great day! Our high reached 61F/15C with a low just above 42F/5C.

Gibbs and I took the top picture on
our walk.
I slipped out before we ate for the bottom one.
I know the sky changed again but I was done
running in and out tonight. 
Good night!

Thank you for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. We often cut the loaf, then put half of it in the freezer. Fresh baked bread doesn't stay fresh for long. Makes you wonder what the bakeries put in theirs doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can bake and freeze half or freeze half the dough after the first rise. Punch down, wrap and freeze. Take it out when you want it, let it thaw and rise, then bake. Nancy K

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you crocheting ? ๐Ÿงถ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dog from a kit. Not great at it but figuring it out. ๐Ÿ˜„

      Delete
  4. Rubbermaid, makes storage container for Bread. That might help keep your bread fresher.
    Better temperatures in Quartzsite then inn Ontario.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to look for a Rubbermaid container the right size. Thx!
      Yes,, out temperatures are getting better from here on in too.

      Delete
  5. Hi Patsy, I hopped to you from Stew. Love the camels and details, and the F to C temperature. Down here in NZ we are in Celsius, and SO hot right now. Our grandson at almost 27 tells me he makes his bread each weekend, from scratch, not in a breadmaker. I was so impressed.Can you do a half loaf and freeze the dough, or a full loaf, then cut and slice in half, and freeze the half that is cooked. Your 15C high and 5C low is about what our winter might be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you! NZ, wow.
      Thx for the suggestions too. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  6. When I bake a loaf for our youngest son, he takes it home, slices it, puts two slices in each freezer bag and pulls them out as he needs them. Says it really works.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says the young can't teach the old?? Thank him for me. I'll try anything.

      Delete
  7. I love the camels in the parade....even the 'lady camels'. When I make a bread that hubby won't eat I slice and freeze, then pull out a slice ir two at a time for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, they are sloppy but majestic. ๐Ÿ˜Š
      Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  8. Ditto Jackie. Bread defrosts very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been freezing bread like forever and it's always fresh. Loved the photos of the ladies parading like camels ;-)

    ReplyDelete