Saturday, January 16, 2021

A Barrel Full of Mixed Emotions Today

Paisley, On

Today, Friday, Jan. 15th is a special day for me and a few members of our family. Firstly, Mom and Daddy were married on this day in 1946. If they were still alive, it would be an incredible 75 years. 😊 Not unheard of, many couples live to their mid- 90’s, together.


An easy drive to work this morning

Secondly, with both my parents there to greet him, my first grandson, Taylor Jesse Patrick was born. 😊 My Dad passed away within 5 ½ months but he got to meet the little guy. So, we’re celebrating his 26th birthday today. Well, I won’t be seeing him, and I haven’t seen him for 2 years, but in my heart, I am still thinking of him on this day. Through Facebook and Messenger, we’ve exchanged secret messages. 😊

Happy Birthday, Taylor (Tj)

Thirdly, the sad part of Jan 15th. Our circle of friends and rv’ers lost a very special man a year ago on this day. George inspired Bill and I so much in the transition from a sticks and bricks home into a new lifestyle of full-time rv’ing. We’ve never looked back nor regretted what we’ve learned from his and Suzie’s knowledge. Last winter, in Pilot Knob RV Resort, Quartzsite and Bullhead City, we toasted him and I can see that being a tradition in the winters to come.

I don't need to remind anyone of this smiling face
for you to know who it is!
We miss you, George

So, with that out of the way, our day started out normal for a Friday. Bill went off to work and I followed and hour and a half later to my job in Durham. Another clear, dry day for driving and even somewhat mild again at 2.2C/36F at 8 am. There was not a lot of attention needed to put the laundromat in ship-shape but I did my normal cleaning routine anyway. Two customers throughout the hour and I was on my way home by 9:45.

I stopped quickly at Donna's to pick up my Avon
order, in and out

I made a stop at Walmart for a small handful of things I missed on Wednesday and a quick stop at Donna’s to pick up my Avon from her. By the time I got home, I was feeling like I’d worked a full week! I took my coffee thermos upstairs and drank it while doing the banking transaction online. An email informed me that the FedEx shipment with my coat is on schedule for Monday so now my fingers are crossed that it fits. Always something to worry about, it seems. It should, I was careful with measurements.

Quiet drive home

Around 12:30 I went down and made some cream of celery soup for my lunch. I was feeling peckish but didn’t feel like frying my egg today. I took the soup into the garage and worked on the puzzle. Not the best light so after an hour, I washed my dishes and went to the post office to find an empty mailbox. Wes had been down earlier but sometimes mail appears in the box early afternoon for some reason. I needed that burst of fresh air anyway but didn’t feel like going for a walk today.


That's my corner coming up 

I wandered across the street to see if Marty’s Bar and Grill was still going to be open and found an ‘undated’ sign that says ‘We are closed today, sorry for the inconvenience’. Hmm, today? It wasn’t too specific and was on a window rather than the door. I’ll try calling at 4, we were hoping for one last meal from the venue, they are so good. In my head, I planned to make our own burgers and maybe fries for supper, since that is what Bill wanted anyway. 😊

This is the sign I posted in the laundromat

When I came upstairs, I intended to stretch out on the bed with my book but got involved reading blogs from our friends and then starting my own. It was around 3 by the time I got to the bed and the book. A few minutes later, like 7, Bill texted that he would be home in his 15 minutes so I went down, unlocked the door and made myself a cup of tea before returning to our room to wait. By the time he walked in, I was well into another chapter.


We discussed supper at Marty’s and my plan was to check out the window at 4 and see if he opened his blinds to the restaurant. Bill dropped off to sleep and sure enough, they opened on cue. Yay! It took a while again, about 30 minutes of trying to get through on the phone to order but when she answered and said is 6:30 okay? we were quite happy with that time. Bill had his Canadian burger & fries and I had a roast beef sandwich with veggies and a baked potato.

How is that for a meal?
So much delicious tender roast beef and very little bread
Just the way I like it

Each time we eat their meals, we realize how much we’ll miss having his restaurant open. Their prices are so reasonable for the amount of food you get, I have half of mine leftover for another meal tomorrow and could even share the beef with Bill. Wow! Very pleased! We finished eating and dishes by 7:15 and returned upstairs. At 7:30 I watched Jeopardy to finish off the week and then downloaded pictures for my blog.

And this was when I was finished
LOL that is a lot of food

My pictures are taking forever for some reason so it will be a morning publish. Sadly, before the day ended, we learned that Mom’s bosom buddy, Smitty, from her air force days, has also passed. Just last Friday out in Abbotsford, BC. We don’t know circumstances but this is heart-breaking. True, she was 95 (?) and had had a stroke on the night of Mom’s passing but what’s sad is that mid-January (now) she was ready to move into a senior’s residence, sell her home and live like a Queen.

Smitty and Mom reuniting in May 2019

And now, together again in heaven
Notice the picture on Smitty's shirt

Our solace is that they are now together, again and heaven will be rocking with their antics and laughter. Rest in Peace, dear sweet Smitty. (Lois)

January, 2020
A toast of friends to George

Good night!

On that note, I want to thank you all for reading today. It means a lot to me that you are interested enough to come back, day after day. 😊

28 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your lovely words about George and his picture. Several friends here at the apartment building got together and we raised a glass in his memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Cheers to George will go on for a good many years, I think. ;)

      Delete
  2. We are here!! Don’t always comment but still here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry about Smitty..what a lovely woman! Those are great pictures of them together. I agree that at least they are together in heaven. Lovely words and pic of George and I remember the toast Bill gave last year :)
    The food looks amazing! Such a shame they are closing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it is so sad. It was certainly a day full of emotions.

      Delete
  4. Well, I haven't been too active lately on facebook but today I felt a NEED to read a good blog and polish up the reading skills. (LOL). It is very sad and hard to believe we lost George a year ago already. He did give us all a lot of rv'ing memories. I am so sorry to read a lady that has been in your life for so many years has passed away. It does seem that this is a day on the calendar one almost would prefer to sleep thru other than the joy of a grandson's birth. The bright side of life.
    Take care and hopefully see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori. Thank you so much for commenting and what a lovely comment it is! :D
      You're right about the day. Two good things and two sad ones to bring a tear.

      Delete
  5. I don't comment much, but yours is one of the ten or so blogs that I read every day. One other one, the Furry Gnome, is also in Ontario, not too far from you it seems. He was even in Paisley the other day. It is odd, but between you and him, I know quite a bit about that part of Ontario. Out here in Northern CA, it will probably be in the 60's today with no snow. I don't know if I could do a winter like you are having to do this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KCD. I appreciate any comments that come my way, whether you are a regular or not. Thank you for taking the time. Yes, Furry Gnome and I have only met a couple of times, once before and once after his surgery. I feel very close to them, such great people. It would be nice to have temps in the 60's! :) We are surprising ourselves by dealing with this cold so well although it is still early and we have had a decent few months so far.

      Delete
  6. It's sad as good friends start leaving us behind. Your Mom and Smitty are together again.
    I wanted to post about George then got sidetracked. He helped us to learn the ropes when Boondocking. He always tried to make everyone laugh.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom and Smitty lived miles apart since they left the service (Mom in southwestern Ontario and Smitty in BC) but always were able to get together once a year until Mom got sick. Two peas in a pod.
      George was an inspiration to a lot of us and always with a smile. :)

      Delete
  7. Nice pictures of your mom and her friend. They look like two ladies who could stir things up in heaven. Nice picture of your grandson and who can forget George's smile. We stopped by LaPosa south the other day to check out the Ocotillo which is grey like all the rest and thought of everyone. By the way thanks for the Ocotillo pictures a few days ago. You know me always catching up and great picture of your brother, also. I especially enjoy all your pictures of your walks by the river. The reflections in the water are quite beautiful. Stay safe and hugs just seems like a day for hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. Oh I'm sure Daddy is rolling his eyes as the 'ladies' are together again. haha
      I know how you love the Ocotillo! :) You'll be tired of my river pictures by the time this winter is over! Thank you for the hugs. Sad ones and happy ones, all wonderful to receive.

      Delete
  8. Lots of special memories in your post today. Nice to have a restaurant nearby that you like and provides take-out. Thinking of George while here near Quartzsite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A busy day with memories for sure! George's memory is all around the southwest, isn't it?

      Delete
  9. The picture of your mom and Smitty is very touching. I bet you are always looking forward to the end of the week with a nice treat from the restaurant across the street. If we had that here I think we would be tempted also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, i thought so too. I actually have them on video singing Alouette, if you know the song I mean. ;)
      We'll miss the restaurant's food and hope the new owners carry on.

      Delete
  10. Wow. This was a lot. But at the end....the info about Smitty's passing took my breath away. Did I miss something about the restaurant? Is it closing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lot in the day.
      Sad about Smitty, like she couldn't go on without Mom. :(
      Yes, Marty is retiring and has sold the business. We're hoping the new owners carry on with as good good as Marty provided.

      Delete
  11. Though I don't comment daily I do read your blog every day, because I so enjoy the way you try to see the good in every event,even the sad ones. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary for your comment and for reading daily. No point in letting events rule us, be sad but move on without getting depressed. :)

      Delete
  12. My favourite coffee shop has started providing take-out meals on weekends; they're really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take out is wonderful! If nothing else, that's what the pandemic has shown us to enjoy. :)

      Delete
  13. I read most of your blog posts Patsy. Our lives have been busy this winter and I just can't get into blogging right now. Hopefully, when we are moving again I'll get back to it. I always enjoy all the news, pictures and info you include!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri. So nice to hear from you. I figured you were taking a break and that is okay since it means you are keeping busy and not getting caught up in this pandemic stuff. Stay safe!

      Delete
  14. A wonderful post today about some wonderful people. So glad we got to know them and remember them today. Thank you.
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a special 'tribute' read today. I love the picture of Mom and Smitty. The smiles are priceless. Did you know that I was named after her? Where do you think Mom got the Marie from? Mom told me that when she was still at the Village, one day when we were looking at old photos.

    ReplyDelete