Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Do I Stay or Do I Go? Bill and My Buddies Help With My Decision

Paisley, On

On Wednesday, Jan. 20th Bill reported another 3 to 4” of snow overnight. Good thing I cleaned Ptooties off yesterday or I wouldn’t be able to reach the roof of snow today! I was in a bit of a conundrum when I looked out the window at 6:40 after Bill left. He had a pile of snow at the end of the lane to barrel through and seemed to do that with no problem.

a look out the window and you can see the pile of snow
at the end of the lane
This small plow goes down the sidewalk and has already removed
what Bill drove through

I crawled back in bed and debated whether to get ready for work or not. Roads were plowed but snow covered to track bare according to my traffic reporter. 😊 The worst one would be Bruce County Rd. 3 out of Paisley, north to south. Then it started snowing really heavy. As I was looking out, a second time, (yo-yo-gal here), the big sidewalk plow was clearing the pile of snow and removing the build-up. Okay, do I get ready and go?

Here is a better look at that plow

The next door neighbours had their plow guy come in and
clear their lot 
It was still snowing pretty heavy at 8:30

The heavy snow bothered me, what if it continued the whole time? Did I need to be driving in that to work for an hour? I’ve put you through this before, my indecision, and I don’t want to be a wimp but I also don’t want to take a risk. 

I had cleaned Ptooties off and was just getting ready to 
pull out

When Bill said it had stopped at Neustadt, 40 minutes (?) from here and Pat said it was clear in Durham, I decided to go for it. They helped with my decision. Paisley was the worst. Roads were greasy and yet not unpassable. Once I turned east onto the Walkerton/Hanover Road the lanes were pretty good.

Just leaving Paisley

This is the plowed highway #3
but the sun encouraged me

Obviously, it wasn't too bad or I wouldn't be taking pictures
The snow had stopped as soon as I got out of town

Funny thing is that the sun and blue sky actually made appearances on my drive. I pulled into the Pioneer gas station and fueled up first. No one was at the Mat but the parking lot had been recently cleared. They didn’t get as much snow as we did, maybe a couple of inches. I shoveled the front and back door area and along the walkway. Looks like someone had put down salt already and that was working for the most part.

This was the worst section so I slowed down to
60 kmph

Things looked good when I left and drove to the water store for a RO refill. By the time I was heading out of Durham, around 11, the roads were wet and clear so I made time to Hanover. Walmart was as busy as normal and I got in and out fairly quickly. 

Walkerton has some nice downtown buildings
Reminds me of a western town

It was almost 12:30 when I got in the house. Wes and Susan were out but the laneway had been plowed out. That was nice to see and I was able to snuggle Ptooties back into her spot, nose out.

The drive home was cloudy but the roads were better

I took my thermos upstairs and when my coffee was finished, carried our garbage down for tomorrow’s pick up. I had some lunch, although it was around 1 and eventually went in to work on Betty Boop in the garage. I’d finished the border yesterday so slowly worked inward around the edges. There is a lot of pink/red pieces so of course, I’ll do the easy stuff first. There are no rules and if there are, they are mine, made up as I go along!😊

If you're a puzzle maker, you can see around the edges the
progress I've made

Bill got home just before 5 and we sat upstairs together until supper time. We got good news today in a couple of formats. First, at noon, Bill called Peggy at CanAm to check on the Suite. He was informed that it is finished. Yay! That is great news! Second, I walked to get the mail and my US Visa Debit card finally arrived. We’ve been waiting since it expired in Sept/20. There was a snag with the address but we fixed that up before Christmas. Now we just need our Visa credit cards to come.

Talking about our Suite, I needed to look at it again

Supper tonight was sausages with pasta and a vegetable. It turned out pretty good. We had a couple of hot dog buns in the fridge that have been there for a while so Bill sliced his sausage in half lengthwise and his on a bun. Hey, it worked and he enjoyed it. 

Doesn't this look like fun?
(for the little one on the sled, I mean)

Hot dog buns never taste good to me after being in the freezer for too long so at least we didn’t have to throw them out. I had mixed veggies with my pasta and sausage. I ate too much though, that was a lot of food!

I'm going to be walking tomorrow to wear this pasta off!!

Bill made his lunch while supper was cooking so that saved him some time after dishes. I went in and caught most of Jeopardy but only got a couple of answers. I’m not very good at the game. Even if I know the answer, I often can’t come up with the name on time. The evening was quiet after that and I did some more crocheting and started a new book. Let’s try The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Tonight, a special memory of our little bum
Clemson enjoys the sunshine at Quartzsite
Jan. 20, 2019
Good night!


Thank you for stopping by.

13 comments:

  1. I loved that book! It was a brilliant sunny day here. Cold though, brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I was wondering if someone else read it. ;)
      Brrrr is right. My 'winter feelers' are toughening up! haha

      Delete
  2. As a kid growing up on the ranch, we only went to the snow twice. Even if you were the one on the sled, it never was fun. Just too COLD!!!! Glad you went for a drive. It takes bravery to become a good snow driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to push myself but once I get out there, I remember how I used to drive it much earlier in the day for 45 minutes to work and back every day. Now that I have a choice, I'm turning into a wimp!

      Delete
  3. You are brave. I do not care to drive on snow (or worse yet when its so cold its more like ice). Fortunately, I rarely have to. I can't believe how blessed we have been this winter - we've not had any serious snow or ice...so far! Other than a few early mornings with temps in the 20's that included some gusty winds, we've come through January pretty good. I am so thankful for that! Oh how I miss doing puzzles. Wish I could stretch through the screen and help. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been fortunate too, maybe we are getting a dose of 'pity' because we are all stuck here!
      I would welcome your help with the puzzle. Come on through!

      Delete
  4. You have obviously spent too many winters in the Southwest and don't do Canadian winters very well any more. Having lived in Northern CA all my life, I just can't imagine living thru winter and the cold like you are. Here, if if snows a little, it usually is melted away the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always wise to drive a little slower under those condition as you never know if there is ice underneath.
    Like you Bread or Buns that have been in the Freezer are terrible however if refrigerated only take Fifteen Seconds in the Microwave to refresh them.
    Like yourself we wish we were in the desert as well.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you find the winter driving so troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being a wimp, FG. Spoiled from the southwest winters, obviously! :D

      Delete
  7. Nice to know thee Suite is fixed! Ready to go for next winter (we hope) We've kept buns in the fridge but for 1.00 or so not worth it! Beautiful pictures once again! That puzzle...uh no!! LOL...

    ReplyDelete