Sunday, July 24, 2022

The Rains Came, Fun Day with Friends

The Ridge

On Sunday, July 24th, there was no surprise with the weather. Other than the fact that the weatherman got it right. 😊 I don’t think it rained overnight, I slept really soundly from the minute my head hit the pillow at 12:10 am. I couldn’t believe that we were still sleeping soundly when my eyes opened for the first time and saw 7:15 reflected on the ceiling. Nice!

A quick walk in between the showers
Looking back across our neighbours 'new' yard
to our home on The Ridge

That meant Gibbs hadn’t woken his Daddy up at his usual 5:45 or 6 am. I felt slept out but when Gibbs didn’t move at all, I just laid on my back for another half hour before slipping out from under the sheet at 7:50. Bill slept on with Gibbs beside him while I got washed and dressed. I heard light rain beginning as the deterrent to the longer walk I had planned for us. Bummer. So, he piddled and we scurried back indoors.

His nose was usually down
but he stopped to see what way we're going
This is a different direction

It was another half hour before Bill and Gibbs came downstairs so everyone was tired after yesterday! 😊 On a rainy-type day like this, it doesn’t matter if you sleep in, actually it might be part of the cause! It wasn’t a steady rain all day by any means. We did get out a bit later for our walk down the road before the rain drops chased us back home. We ran up the laneway so got good exercise this morning!

Brunch was a typical
Sunday breakfast πŸ˜ƒ

I played my Wordle and Phrazle games with my tea and decided we’d have bacon and eggs for lunch so I didn’t eat anything early as I usually do. When Bill saw Duncan out next door, he went out to assist and then I joined them when I noticed Patty out and about. They slept in too! Well, Patty did. 😊 After another attempt at a walk, Patty, Gibbs and I returned to the shelter of their awning. It was a mild enough day that it was pleasant.

Snooze time for my boys

We broke for lunch around 12:30 and Bill and Gibbs had their pre-requisite snooze. Patty and Duncan were providing supper for us, again, we’re getting spoiled! I didn’t have much to offer in the way of a salad or rolls so decided to make some biscuits. Thanks to Betty Crocker, I had some Bisquick in the cupboard for just times like this! I’ll make sure they don’t have something else planned first. It doesn’t feel right not contributing and we probably won’t need dessert after what they’re preparing.

Patty showed us the lasagna before
it went onto the barbecue
Gibbs was very interested

While the boys dozed, I got my Norwex dusting mop out and did the floors. They were feeling pretty neglected. 😊 It was definitely time. The rains kept us inside for part of the afternoon but after one heavier downpour that left puddles around 2:30, it mostly appeared to clear. Because it was so mild, and because we had company, we went out and sat together under their awning.

The biscuits ready for the oven too

Gibbs found a small green apple and played with it, chasing it when it was tossed. Patty had made a pan of lasagna that Duncan ‘smoked’ on their barbecue. It sure smelled good as we sat there. The flies were not very pleasant, the rains seem to have brought them out from wherever they were. At 5:15, I turned the oven on to bake the biscuits and we joined them in the Airstream for supper.

My funky tripod captured us nicely

This is such a nice treat and very kind of them to share their meals with us when they come. We had wine as well and it all tasted wonderful! Gibbs stayed home for the time being. He was pretty wet from playing in the puddles and rained-on gravel. 😊 He has been very good and Duncan and Patty enjoy watching him run around too. They help us keep an eye on him, like another set of parents. He has a way of wiggling into peoples’ hearts.

The lasagna was delicious

After supper, they introduced us to a new card game called Golf. I thought the name was familiar but we’d never played it before. I really enjoyed it and I think Bill did as well. He’s not much into games but it was easy to learn and fun. When we completed the game, and weren’t the bottom two (sorry Patty), we brought the supper dishes back to the Suite and Bill loaded them into the dishwasher. No point in them doing them by hand.

The rains were persistent only for
about 20 minutes before giving up

It stormed, rain, thunder and a short period of gusty winds which were enough for the guys to pull the awnings in. It didn’t last and now I can say that I’ve been in a tin can during a downpour! It is loud making conversation a little challenging. I never thought about that! 😊 It was a fun evening with friends and has been a wonderful weekend together. Tomorrow, they’ll pull out and we’ll be back to routine, mostly.

Gibbs watches Daddy make his lunch
There is always some cheese leftover
for someone special πŸ’–πŸ’–
good night!

Thank you for stopping in.

9 comments:

  1. Oh for a bit of nice cool rain! Lasagne on the bbq ... what a great idea and it looks amazing!! That's a great idea for my 4-9 period of no electricity. I can cook outside! Tell them thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass that along to Duncan and Patty. It was delicious.

      Delete
  2. Glad you missed the big storm that happened in Ontario. Apparently Madoc was hit pretty hard.
    I would never have thought of doing lasagna on the bbq. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we missed that too. As for the lasagna on the bbq, it's kind of a smoker and it did a great job.

      Delete
  3. sounds like a wonderful day with friends! Oh that lasagna looks amazing :) We're not much for games either, not sure why. Love the picture of the rain on the window :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. We enjoyed the time with our friends. It seems like we've known them longer than a year. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised u haven't played golf. We have played for years. Fun game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't play games, as a rule, so that would be why. I was raised with games but Bill wasn't. :)

      Delete
  5. It sounds as if you had a lovely evening and that lasagna looks amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete