Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Temperature Drop, Early Arrival, Following Up on a Plan

The Ridge

On Wednesday, May 17th I slept in until 7 when Bill came up to kiss me goodbye. Gibbs was on protection duty and barked when Bill came up the stairs. We didn’t get up until 7:45, lazy or what? When we got up I had my tea and then we sat huddled inside. I say huddled because it was darn cold outside! It was only -1C/30F. No frost though so that made Bill’s exit easier without a defroster.

I'll never get tired of the pond views

Around 9, Gibbs and I went for a walk. I was bundled up in a hoody and my down winter jacket and gloves – again. I thought I was done with that. I can say that the sun was lovely and helped to warm things up as best it could. It was the wind that was against us today.  We didn’t walk very far, just to the edge of the front field and back. My decision, not his. 😊

Of course, someone wanted attention
while we were out there

Another view I'll not tire of

Without further delay, I have news. Last night around supper time we received a call from Krystal, Bill’s daughter. We are new grandparents to a bouncing baby boy! He’s almost 3 weeks early but is a healthy 8 lbs. 6 oz. We are more than excited to welcome little Alexander George. No picture yet but as soon as I do, I’ll share it with y’all. Congratulations Krystal and Matt!


"But I'm not ready to come in yet"

Back to today, the morning went fast after sleeping in so before long it was lunch time. I fried an egg and some bacon and toasted the last of my keto cinnamon toast. I sure held on to that for as long as possible! Then, since it had warmed up, we went out again. I was layered up but not for long.

I started thinking I'd just do this section

But after taking a much needed  break,
I went further. 

Today, I was taking a suggestion that I received from Bridgette on Sunday. We were looking at the dreaded corral hills and she suggested hostas to fill in the spaces around the irises that I planted last fall. So, not an easy chore at all because it is so rocky and there isn’t a lot of dirt there to begin with. I worked away for a couple of hours and Gibbs kept a close eye on me and everything that was going on around us. Such a good little guy, too bad he can’t handle a shovel.

If you look real close, you'll see the 
little bum standing his ground (in the chair)
He finally came inside

Today I saw several white-crowned sparrows

I managed to get quite a large area done and if the hostas don’t take, being in the rocky terrain or the full sun, I’ll just continue to add more irises until it is full. It’s all to benefit us in the long run and hopefully make things easier at cutting time. 😊 Gibbs and I sat outside until I got too chilled since the sun was dropping behind the trees. We waited for Bill inside and within 10 minutes he pulled in the drive.

After filling the hummer feeders,
Mr. Oriole returned
He's gorgeous!

For supper, I made hamburger stew in Madame IP and we were eating shortly after 6. I actually planned something on time! We watched the last couple of episodes of Sullivan’s Crossing while I worked on my blog. I feel muscles in my shoulders, legs, ankles and lower back so need to do some of those famous yoga stretches before bed. I have to clean in the morning. 😊

It was delicious!
Good night.

This was a good day and warmer weather arrives tomorrow after another night below freezing. Good grief!

Thank you for the visit.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations grandma and grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many grandkids does that make?? Love that oriole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new babe! He was big for 3 weeks early. Krystal is likely happy he arrived when he did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the new parents, and to the grandparents too!
    Wow, you got a lot of digging done. While hostas do well in shade, they get massive in full sun too. My daughter's next door neighbour K, has several and I'm always amazed at the size of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As for the hostas, I hope the rocks aren't a deterrent. :)

      Delete
  5. Good day to you, Patsy, Bill and of course Gibbs,
    Your ridge looks absolutely beautiful and so it should with all the work you are doing to it.
    To many rocks for my liking, but yet again do you save any of them for your painting hobby?
    Hope your hosta's make good friends with the iris's, that will be a nice addition.
    Many congrats. on becoming grandma and grandpa, what fun that will be.
    I look forward to the pics.
    Well you have a wonderful day and give Gibbs a scruffle on the head for me.
    Lots of love and stuff, Melynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melynda. :) We are thrilled with yet another grandbaby.
      I don't keep the rocks unless they are smooth. Too many rocks for my liking too!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Can't wait for pictures. Your place is looking beautiful as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the arrival of your new grandchild.

    Smoke yesterday and cold today (down to 0 tonight). We covered the veggie garden, and brought my bedding plants in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie.
      Yes, smoky sun for sure but nothing here like my brother is seeing in Alberta. :(

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the new grandbaby. I hope you get to see him soon.

    ReplyDelete