Saturday, February 17, 2024

Flying High Today

Park Place RV Park

On Saturday, Feb. 17th the day focused around the Quartzsite Desert Flyers Fun Fly/Swap Meet at the field. There have been posters around, announcements on the local channel and on Facebook. Bill was up at 5:30 and on his way, in the dark, at 6:30. It would be light very soon. 😊 Gibbs and I slept longer, until 7 and then we got up.

Another surprise this morning when
I opened the blinds.
Bill had already left.

Gorgeous!

This is how the sky cleared out for us
this morning

The little bum was out of sorts until our walk. He missed his Daddy, couldn't figure out why he left so early. He climbed up on the back of my recliner and ignored me while I washed my hair in the kitchen sink. Because I still wasn’t 100% satisfied with the cut, I followed a video I’d watched on how to layer it. It was quite easy and each time those scissors come out, I like it better. The bottom length is fine, it’s the layers in the back. Boring, huh?




It was nice to see such a turnout
at the field.

Gibbs and I took our walk and what a gorgeous morning! It was chilly-ish, 47F/8C, but with no wind, I was fine in shorts and my wind breaker. Gotta love that! I sat with Gibbs and played my Wordle games and then at 10, I packed a small backpack with coffee, water and Bill’s QDF ball cap. I wanted to support the club however possible. 😊 It was a nice walk to the field, but because my heel has been acting up, I took my walking stick. That helped.

Bill was announcing pilots and their plane
as they flew

Looking to the west end of the staging area/runway

Wow! There are a lot of spectator vehicles, along the road and in the parking area of the field. That’s awesome, advertising paid off. They had a food vendor from Parker, which is new, so that will draw people too. If you don’t have to take or leave for lunch, it’s a big deal. Bill had taken my chair for me in B.B. so I set it up and found a nice sunny spot. Next, I just basically enjoyed the show!

a few of the big engines in the static display

There were a fair number of pilots, one flew a turbine engine jet and another a twin engine gas jet. They were very loud. Bill could better tell you what they were but they were fast and exciting to watch. The crowd loved them. Woody had sold a few hats before I arrived and a few after but he didn’t need me to walk around with him at least. My heel was aching a bit so I just sat near President Bill.

If you look closely..........this is two planes, set to fly.
The white plane on the bottom is fuel powered, the top is
a glider sitting in a homemade cradle. Two pilots required.
Once in the air, the glider will be released and float
through the sky until the pilot brings it down.
What a neat display! I've never seen that before.

Fueling up the turbine jet

For lunch, we each had bacon wrapped hotdogs and fries. That was probably more than I needed but they were good, especially the dogs, and we wouldn’t need much for supper – again. At noon, they drew for the 50/50 draw and Bill was 2 numbers off the win for $378. Close but no cigar! 😊 There was a Swap Meet and he was hoping to sell a few things. He was thrilled when he did!

The twin engine


Woody sells hats - good deal, $6 each or 2 for $10

Wheelin' and dealin' here.
Bill sells a plane (yay, less to carry home),
an engine and a couple of servos. 😊

I walked back home around 1:15. With the heat I was feeling from the walk, I sat in the shade with Gibbs and waited for Bill to return an hour later. What a nice day. 

The clouds moved in this afternoon, which was an okay thing
when I was walking home.
It would have been quite warm with my backpack on.

This barrel cactus is pretty, even after the flower

I read my book outside, following the sun into the gazebo, until it was time to take Gibbs for his walk. Supper was just cream of chicken and mushroom soup. It was enough and tasted quite good.

It was a great day for the walk.

someone snuggled with me today
even after Daddy got home. 💖

I will either finish my book tonight or watch another rerun episode of Reacher. Until the new season starts, I want to refresh what has happened so far.  We’ve reached a lovely high of 74F/24C. We won’t drop below 54F/12C which is a great sleeping temperature.


Looks like Gibbs was on a mission here.
Our afternoon walk.
Good night!

Thank you for popping in.

5 comments:

  1. Such beautiful planes and a great turnout. I bet Bill had fun. Hope to be over there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun day at the Flying Field. High Winds up here.
    Haircut looks nice.
    Still think your heel problem is Plantar Fasciitis. You need more arch support in your shoes. I know from personal experience.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great turnout at the fly-in. Those planes are just so cool ... a two fer with the glider ... and the jet! Next year I have to try and be there for that!! Glad Bill got to sell some stuff ... now he can buy more! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. There certainly was a good crowd at the event. I'm sure the food vendor was happy with the turn-out and will be back another time. Well done to all the organizers and especially Bill. I know it takes a lot of work to put together events.

    I'm glad the weather is beginning to be what you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of those planes must have been awesome to watch. Did Bill get any ideas for future projects? It takes a lot of knowledge to give all the details to the watching public.

    ReplyDelete