Monday, June 26, 2023

A Long Hospital Wait, Decent News Though

The Ridge

On Monday, June 26th I had a mental block when I woke up. I saw the clock and saw Gibbs and Bill get up to go out at 6:30. When they crawled back into bed, we all went back to sleep. Next time I woke up, it was 7:20 and Bill said “don’t you have to clean this morning?” Oh darn! Usually, it is on my mind immediately, once I wake up but today of all days, I slept in.

I haven't seen the cows much since we've come home
They are just moving out to the bigger pasture here

I left them in bed and got myself ready. While the tea was brewing, I fed Gibbs and he gobbled it up in no time. He still has his days when he’s picky but for the most part, he eats quickly twice a day. 😊 It had rained a lot through the night again so when I remembered that I was supposed to stop to water Robin’s plants today, it was obvious I wouldn’t need to.

Good morning, Bessie, Buttercup, Daisy, Junior, Jersey!
For you, Loree. ♥

I had the Mat clean in no time but didn’t wash the floors today. They weren’t bad at all and I was on a schedule so scooted home. I noticed the maple sapling had fallen over again so stopped at Robin’s home. Of course, the rain started again as I left the laundromat so I got wet again. This time, I moved the tree over in front of the garage on solid footing, their cement driveway. Live and learn but I’ll need to keep an eye that it continues to get rain in that spot.

Bill was just getting out of the shower when I arrived so I had more time than I thought. I just changed my clothes and we left Gibbs in charge around 9:30. It was only a 45-minute drive to the Owen Sound hospital for his appointment, but we are always more comfortable being early rather than pushing the limits. 😊 We waited for 2 hours in the wait room and then when he was called, we waited another 55 minutes in Room 3 waiting for the surgeon.

Playing the waiting game.
We did learn from the X-rays/Ultrasound
when Dr. Costas told us Bill tore 3 ligaments 😖

He seems nice enough but I wasn’t overly impressed with Dr. Costa. He is a busy man, no doubt, but I didn’t feel he was into the ‘meeting’. Bill liked him, I think, so we got the verdict. His verdict. Do physio for about 6 weeks (1 or 2 x /week, whatever Bill wants) and take an anti-inflammatory as often as needed. That will keep the swelling down.

We do enjoy the Uncle Burgers
and we didn't have to cook them.

The good news was that he didn’t recommend surgery. Partly because of Bill’s age and partly because it’s only a 50/50 chance of improvement after the fact. Well, that’s good enough for us so 10 minutes (if that) later, we paid the parking fee and left. By now, it was 1:30, his appointment was 10:50, and I was starving! My yogourt this morning had worn off long ago. We stopped at our favourite fast food joint and had Uncle Burger combos at A & W. Then we were full. LOL

It poured as we left the shopping mall
but only for aobut 5 minutes

Bill dropped me at Value Village while he went to Canadian Tire and Princess Auto. VV doesn’t impress me much anymore – at least not for their clothes. The prices are nuts so it’s a good thing I really wasn’t looking for anything in particular. 😊 We needed to replace our tall lamp that sits in between our recliners, the other one I bought a few years ago doesn’t stand well. The joints are stripped so I’ll move it to the Bunky to help with lighting for puzzling.

Our new to us lamp - $15

I did find 2 tops for under $5 each and a green denim skirt for $6. That’s it. Gibbs was very happy to see us and in the long run, we are happy to have a result – of some kind. Bill called one of the two recommended therapists in Hanover and was told he can’t get in until July 20th. Bummer, we’ll try the second one tomorrow and hope for a sooner date. So, some ‘up’ news and some ‘down’ news and we’ll just see where it goes from here. We all had a little snooze around 4, exhausted from doing nothing!

The blackbirds/crows/grackles (whatever they are)
were having a heyday.
The suet is all gone, in a day. LOL
Chippy is in there somewhere.

He is on the far right in thihs picture

Neither of us were hungry for supper, so back home after Gibbs and I walked to the corner, Bill went to the Hangar. He’ll make a sandwich when he’s ready and I’ll do the same. The wet warm day turned into a dry warm evening, with the sun drying things up before bed time. We reached a high of 22C/71F today but it felt a few degrees warmer than that with the humidity. Such is Ontario, Canada. 😊

Even though it is overcast,
the greenery is brilliant.

I hope y’all had a good day. By the way, I finished the last 2 episodes of The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel last night. Now, I'm sad it's over. I loved it!

It turned into a lovely day!
Good night!

Thank you for the visit.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like excellent news to me. No surgery!!! I hate waiting though. Always feels like they could care less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great that he doesn't need surgery. We were concerned about timing as you can imagine.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure its a relief to know the plan, hopefully Bill can get in for physio sooner than mid July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with no surgery. Hope the exercise and drugs do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are working in your favour. Google is our friend, and I have no doubt you could find the proper exercises there while you wait for physio at a clinic. It will give you a jump start and help with therapy when you finally get in. Good luck.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Bill has at least been active while off so that will help too. He also does a few minor exercises.

      Delete
  5. That is good news, that Bill won't need surgery. Hopefully he's able to get into physio sooner rather than later.
    The birds are certainly enjoying the new bird feeders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. Yes, very good news. The birds are nuts over the feeders! Wish there were more unique ones though.

      Delete
  6. Perhaps Bill might consider to book a session at a private Phisio clinic to help him out. I did when I broke my wrist and those therapists performed different exercises than the thru OHIP paid ones did and actually made a big difference. Good news that he doesn't need surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to find a private one, semi-retired lady so are quite happy about that. He starts next week. It is great about no surgery!

      Delete
  7. I'd always try to avoid shoulder surgery based on what I've heard from various places. But take the physio seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, we agree and are glad that was the verdict. He will hurt from the physio but believe it is the way to go to get back on track.

      Delete
  8. Wasn't that a great series!!!

    I hope Bill gets in to PT very soon. Here a doctor needs to send a letter to the clinic in order for us to even see anyone.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to Bill as he goes through physical therapy! Sure hope it works for him! Gotta say for fast food, those burgers look awesome!

    ReplyDelete